.50 cal muzzleloader bullet to bore vs sabot

I'm new to muzzleloading and just got a .50 cal knight ultralight. I am getting ready to work up a load for it and I am wondering if I would be better off to go with a Thor bullet, bullet to bore or a parker ballistic extreme with a sabot? I'm hoping to to get a range of 250 yards to hunt deer and amtelope. As I understand a lot of people are moving away from sabots and going toward bullet to bore. Any thought and advice would be appreciated.

OP
Roll_the_Knob!
Yeah sabotloader seems VERY knowledgeable. I'm hoping to get his opinion as well as others but since I'm new to the forum I can't send PM yet.

eltaco

WKR
Last year was my first year shooting muzzleloader and I started with a Knight mountaineer. Through wayyyy too much trial and error I landed on the following:

Fury Universal Fit - 320gr
Blackhorn 209 - 80.5gr (w)
Federal 209A primer
No base wad

That combo would shoot sub-MOA at 300yds. I tested lighter loads of BH and had troubles below 105gr (v)

I just picked up an UL and going to start with a similar load. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have never used that bullet so I really cannot comment on it.

I would tell you that I have been totally spoiled by the Lehigh CF bullets, but Wilson Combat has bought them out and I am not sure when/if they will offer the CF line of bullets.

My next choice would be the Barnes Expander line of bullets.

In previous time I would highly suggest to you the Lehigh .451x230 CF- HP for deer antelope.

Lehigh_451x230_CF-HP.jpg

Lehigh-451x230-BH.jpg

mike

If you are allowed to run sabots in your state, I had great results with barnez TMZ on deer and antelope. I was able to get better groups than full bore bullets from my CVA. I was getting right at 1 MOA groups at 100 yds with blackhorn 209, but I've never shot it passed 150 yds.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thors shoot very well .I HAVE VENTALATED several elk with that bullet never nocked a elk down with one hit them and they run off not much blood trail i feel they were pin hole i was using 90 gr trip 7 range 50 yards too 100 After sharing this info with the new owner of Thor he wanted me to try the new bullet i got tired of losing wounded elk. 247 gr They have a new heavier bullet out 300 gr if you use Thor use that one, my 2cents . I personally like a bullet made by Traditions FULLBORE conical base.

I’d take that Parker bullet over just about anything that you’ll find in the big box stores. Fury has good options as well as Pittman bullets. If you truly want to go down the bullet to bore road, get a an actual sizing die like the swinglock and size the bullets. Otherwise, there’s really no sense in not using a sabot in a 50 cal.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’d take that Parker bullet over just about anything that you’ll find in the big box stores. Fury has good options as well as Pittman bullets. If you truly want to go down the bullet to bore road, get a an actual sizing die like the swinglock and size the bullets. Otherwise, there’s really no sense in not using a sabot in a 50 cal.
What's the Fury bullet look like what grain are you using ?

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I use a lee .50 cal bullet resizer for the HORNADY FPB 350 gr bullet it helps the hard starting Hornady bullets I need to look up the swinglock resizer

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer bore sized chunks of solid lead.
Thats what black powder was meant to shoot.
There work good I used 460 GR Bull SHOP bullets for 2 elk harvest 2 years they didnt run or go very far I shot one out from a bull at 75 yards he turned and gave me the eye it was crazy awsome he was the wail tail all the feather flingers were after, LOL

eltaco

WKR
These shoot really well............

View attachment 423936

Are those only for match, or do they expand well for hunting?

I don’t have anywhere near the experience of many of you, but was highly impressed by the Fury Universal Fit bullets… for those states where sabots are illegal, I found that to be a very effective option, both for long-range accuracy and elk knockdown.

ENCORE

WKR
Are those only for match, or do they expand well for hunting?

I don’t have anywhere near the experience of many of you, but was highly impressed by the Fury Universal Fit bullets… for those states where sabots are illegal, I found that to be a very effective option, both for long-range accuracy and elk knockdown.
Both. They are 350gr Arrowhead XLD's. They took both 1st and 2nd place at Camp Atterbury in the 800, 900 and 1,000yd match.
The Fury bullets are excellent hunting bullets.