6.2L v8 or 3.0 duramax

deadwolf

WKR
2c2b6fe0892ff4622e7f68e2b9553792.jpg

In case there are still any questions about the “turbo”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris84

FNG
I'll add, personally the cost of DEF in next to nothing, cost me $15 to fill it and lasts 4K+ miles before needing to refill. Guys towing heavy say they get around 1K out of a tank, but I'm not towing cross country with it.

And for the guys talking about the emissions equipment, this motor was designed with it in mind, it's all closer to the engine to heat up faster - don't get me wrong I'd rather not have it but it is what it is. We'll see how it goes, my current daily drive to work is only about 6-7 miles

TSAMP

WKR
How are folks liking the 3.0 now? Just test drove a 23 AT4 with one and was blown away by the fuel economy and how quiet it was.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
How are folks liking the 3.0 now? Just test drove a 23 AT4 with one and was blown away by the fuel economy and how quiet it was.
I went 3.0. Ended up selling it back to the dealer after a year. I loved the truck and motor, just couldn’t justify having it sit in the garage and putting 6k a year on it. The 3.0 was great…22 if I was driving hard, 26 if I was trying, 30mpg if I was doing highway driving under 70mph.

deadwolf

WKR

I’ve had a 3.0 since 2020 and couldn’t be happier so far. 27,000 miles. Great mileage, tows almost 10k (though I’d never tow that much) my only complaint with the 3.0 is of course the federally mandated emissions garbage. It does a good job of getting a regen in when you are in normal driving, occasionally I’ll run it down the highway when I hear it ready for regen. If I was 25 I’d want a 6.2, but I care more now about longevity and fuel economy as I near 50 : )

Best mileage in town has been 22 over 400 miles, I’d say average is 19, but mine idles for warmup a bunch in winter.

Best mileage on a long trip was 33

Flyjunky

WKR
I’ve seen a few tuners come out for the 3.0. Anyone have any experience/input with those?

I've had mine for 25K miles and its a champ. I've gotten the dreaded "crank/no start" a few times but it fires right up after that and doesn't happen again for months. Not sure what is causing it and doesn't look like there's a fix yet, but its so rare I'm not really concerned. It loves 35-50mph and I'll regularly see high 30's mpg average on rural commutes. 70mph freeway sits right around 30mpg.

TSAMP

WKR
I’ve had a 3.0 since 2020 and couldn’t be happier so far. 27,000 miles. Great mileage, tows almost 10k (though I’d never tow that much) my only complaint with the 3.0 is of course the federally mandated emissions garbage. It does a good job of getting a regen in when you are in normal driving, occasionally I’ll run it down the highway when I hear it ready for regen. If I was 25 I’d want a 6.2, but I care more now about longevity and fuel economy as I near 50 : )

Best mileage in town has been 22 over 400 miles, I’d say average is 19, but mine idles for warmup a bunch in winter.

Best mileage on a long trip was 33

I was kind of curious how it did in the winter, im in Iowa.

I generally buy new and keep for 10+ years. Buying a topper and other accessories kind of marry you to that vehicle. I'd hate to sell it and lose my ass on all that stuff after a year or two. I don't commute for daily work but drive 2+ hrs each way to my farm. I average about 15k miles per year with mostly hunting trips.

The GMC has the longest crew cab standard bed length of any 1500s which drew me in. It does not however have more than a 24 gal tank, which sucks, it also doesn't seem to have the peripheral lighting that ford has which is pretty nice.

tdhanses

WKR
I was kind of curious how it did in the winter, im in Iowa.

I generally buy new and keep for 10+ years. Buying a topper and other accessories kind of marry you to that vehicle. I'd hate to sell it and lose my ass on all that stuff after a year or two. I don't commute for daily work but drive 2+ hrs each way to my farm. I average about 15k miles per year with mostly hunting trips.

The GMC has the longest crew cab standard bed length of any 1500s which drew me in. It does not however have more than a 24 gal tank, which sucks, it also doesn't seem to have the peripheral lighting that ford has which is pretty nice.
Mine started no issue at -13 unplugged, been the best starting diesel I’ve had in cold winter temps, it also is the quickest to get to operating temp I’ve had as well.

I added a 50gal in bed transfer tank for when towing long distance but have found as I get older I’m ok stopping more so planning to remove it. There is an aftermarket 45gal under bed tank made by Titan Tank but it’s not cheap.

Having around 74gal of fuel capacity was nice but I want the full bed back.

I added airbags because it does sag easy when towing, doesn’t take much weight to sag, had timbrens at first but hated them, really liking the airbags.

In 45k it’s had two warranty repairs, both done quickly and neither left me without my truck. First was an EGR failure at around 4 or 5k and second was a nox sensor at around 10k. At 30k had another nox sensor act up but it corrected itself and has been fine since.

I feel like this thing is so cheap to drive, we have a 22 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and that thing constantly needs fueled up, both are driven about 500 miles ever 2 weeks, I fill up the diesel every two weeks and she fills up every 6 days it feels like.

In 45k I’ve only put a single jug of def in it, all other def I get in bulk at truck stops which makes def super cheap, lucky I have one about 10 mins away that I got to only for def about every 5k. If towing it does suck the def, refill around 1k if full.

I added a 3” lift at around 20k, haven’t seen a reduction in economy but I did stay with the stock size tires when I replaced them at 33k, just went to an E rated tire that is more all terrain.

My best fuel economy on the 400mile indicator is 31mpg, on the 25mile it is over 50mpg. I’ve found the computer to be about 1mpg lower then when I hand calculated the mpg so stopped tracking it.

The fuel filter is cheap so I change that every 25k instead of 30k.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
Mine started no issue at -13 unplugged, been the best starting diesel I’ve had in cold winter temps, it also is the quickest to get to operating temp I’ve had as well.

I added a 50gal in bed transfer tank for when towing long distance but have found as I get older I’m ok stopping more so planning to remove it. There is an aftermarket 45gal under bed tank made by Titan Tank but it’s not cheap.

I added airbags because it does sag easy when towing, doesn’t take much weight to sag, had timbrens at first but hated them, really liking the airbags.

In 45k it’s had two warranty repairs, both done quickly and neither left me without my truck. First was an EGR failure at around 4 or 5k and second was a nox sensor at around 10k. At 30k had another nox sensor act up but it corrected itself and has been fine since.

I feel like this thing is so cheap to drive, we have a 22 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 and that thing constantly needs fueled up, both are driven about 500 miles ever 2 weeks, I fill up the diesel every two weeks and she fills up every 6 days it feels like.

In 45k I’ve only put a single jug of def in it, all other def I get in bulk at truck stops which makes def super cheap, lucky I have one about 10 mins away that I got to only for def about every 5k. If towing it does suck the def, refill around 1k if full.

I added a 3” lift at around 20k, haven’t seen a reduction in economy but I did stay with the stock size tires when I replaced them at 33k, just went to an E rated tire that is more all terrain.

My best fuel economy on the 400mile indicator is 31mpg, on the 25mile it is over 50mpg. I’ve found the computer to be about 1mpg lower then when I hand calculated the mpg so stopped tracking it.

What lift did you get? Let's see it! There's an elevation package for 10k less than the at4. I found most the at4 options didn't do much for me besides the factory lift and tires.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
While some might be worried about only having a 24 gallon tank...look at it this way - unloaded highway driving at 30 mpg..you have a 720 mile range. Anyone know of another full size truck that can do that?
IMG_9514.jpeg
I drove from sc to pa a couple weeks ago and never stopped for gas one time. 2.7 ecoboost with the 36 gallon tank. I see 800-900 miles per tank every fill up on highway trips. Average 27 mpg back and forth to work on the back roads.

I was between the 3.0 duramax and 2.7 eco. I went ecoboost just based off the bulletproof history of the 2.7 and 3.0 being new, plus it’s a gm. I’ve had 3 6.6 duramax and every single one I hated the interior and gm quality. Plus gotta pull the 3.0 engine to do the oil pump which seems like a nightmare.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a picture of your truck if you have one handy

TSAMP

WKR
View attachment 588247
I drove from sc to pa a couple weeks ago and never stopped for gas one time. 2.7 ecoboost with the 36 gallon tank. I see 800-900 miles per tank every fill up on highway trips. Average 27 mpg back and forth to work on the back roads.

I was between the 3.0 duramax and 2.7 eco. I went ecoboost just based off the bulletproof history of the 2.7 and 3.0 being new, plus it’s a gm. I’ve had 3 6.6 duramax and every single one I hated the interior and gm quality. Plus gotta pull the 3.0 engine to do the oil pump which seems like a nightmare.
I assume factory tires? I want to go drive the baby boost Ford. I've heard good things and all I pull is a 18ft aluminum duck boat. I currently have a 5.0 that's been solid.

tdhanses

WKR
What lift did you get? Let's see it! There's an elevation package for 10k less than the at4. I found most the at4 options didn't do much for me besides the factory lift and tires.
I went with this kit https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-sus...021-gmc-sierra-1500-4wd-752716&sid=6ryeHODwgB

Many say Rough Country isn’t great, I found it drives the same as new but firmer, more like it should be after installing.

Personally I wouldn’t go AT4, just get a small lift. Mine is close to the same height as my buddies 2020 Ram 3/4 ton. Prior to the lift it sat so low I could barely get under it to change the oil.

IMG_5499.jpeg

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
View attachment 588247

I’m actually impressed with the GM interior, just as nice as my 2019 Lariat F250. Just way better mpg, lol.