6.5 130 Accubond on game performance?

Has anyone had much experience with the 130 accubonds in 6.5 and seen much on game performance?

I've worked up two different loads for my 6.5 CM this year... and the 130 AB has been doing quite well. The other bullet in my "quiver" is the Berger 130 VLD hunter - which I have taken some game with and it has done well... has been deer and antelope and was looking to have some versatility for when elk are also in the mix or when I needed a little more penetration.

Verified over the chrono in the mid 2800s for both bullets.

Thanks!

I’ve shot a few animals with 130 accubonds at the same speed from my 260. First was a whitetail doe maybe 150-200 yards. Decent blood trail with no snow and she went around 80 yards downhill. Second was a cow elk inside 100 yards shot was mostly frontal so I put it between the neck and shoulder and that bullet was in the offside iliac crest hip bone and just under the hide after going through the bone. I put a second shot in her broadside running because she was headed the wrong way and she dropped right there. Might have gone 20 yards. Third was a 3 point mule deer buck at just over 300 yards. Friend used My rifle and hit him a little back and he bedded down with no shot on top of a old road bank. I went over to try and see him or get him up and my friend finished him with a broadside shot through the lungs. No complaints with how the bullets kill. I didn’t like how much meat was bloodshot since I butcher my own animals so I switched bullets. However the Berger will be even messier. Now I have since switched back to 130 ELDm because that rifle is more of a wolf and long range practice rifle now.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Where would a 140gr eld match rank for elk and a 129gr SST compare to the accubond or berger?

The Accubond will penetrate the deepest in general, however sometimes the frontal diameter can limit it. 140gr ELD-M’s no problem. The SST is a splashy bullet. Would kill an elk fine I’m sure, but bone “may” be an issue.

The Berger works because of delayed fragmentation- penetrating 3-4 inches (even through bone) before fragmenting. The ELD-M’s just have the mass to penetrate despite fragmenting/expanding.

Tag--- I'm running 140 ELDMs at 2855 from a 24" barrel... verified out to 800... might get the nod for a Colorado Bear Tag this fall.

Anyone have issues with that bullet/velocity combo on a CO bruin?

Jmort1754

WKR
Hated the factory 130s in my 264 win. Shot great. Blew up on two deer. Both were recovered both had softball size entrance no exit.

The 140 Berger is all that is shot out of that gun now.

OP
rileybassman
Hated the factory 130s in my 264 win. Shot great. Blew up on two deer. Both were recovered both had softball size entrance no exit.

The 140 Berger is all that is shot out of that gun now.
Interesting... I have seen ballistic tips do similar things but in other calibers almost every accubond was a pass through... Were those the long range abs or standard?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jmort1754

WKR
Standard nosler trophy grade. Love the Accubonds in 300 and 325 but lost confidence in the 264. Not saying it wasn’t a fluke. Something was weird.

mcseal2

WKR
I've not used the 130 in 6.5 but the 140 did very well for me. So have 130's from a 270 win and 140's in a 270, 270WSM, and 7mm Rem Mag. I like the Accubond very much.

I have yet to see one blow up for me. A buddy shoots the 110 in his 257 Weatherby and I've seen him shoulder shoot deer inside 100 yards with that bullet. He starts it at 3400fps and it still held up, punched through and exited every time. I'm sure not saying they can't fail, I just have not seen it.

OP
rileybassman
140 Berger hunting vld. I'd rather have the weight than the speed.
Yea - the 140s do tend to shoot well... this is a 600 and in deer/antelope/blue moon elk rifle... at this point I prefer the 130s I think as there's not a huge gain with the 140s at that distance. Bench gun or more elk on the list I would go 140s. I really like a 130 grain bullet in the 2800s... it lines up with my BDC pretty well as well.