“Meaningful” differences 6.5 cm be 308?

180ls1

WKR
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses:) truly appreciate it!
to answer a few of the questions
I am getting a new rifle since my 60 year old 660 .308 that I got used 25 years ago at a pawn shop for my first hunting rifle finally had the barrel shot out

I’m getting a howa superlite
Comes in 6.5 7mm-08 and 308
sub 5 lb so concerned about recoil

I am comparing 150 tttsx and 127 lrx
Because I’m limited to lead free for several person reasons
I love 150 gr copper out of my 308 on elk. fantastic results so it is my reference point and what I would be shooting out of a new 308
127 lrx is the heaviest monos I can find in factory ammo getting me 1500 ft lb at 300
If I get the 6.5

So if there is no significant meaningful difference in performance sub 400 yards
I’m leaning toward the 6.5
but if the .308 has an advantage I’ll go that route

past history 25 years worth shows most of my elk are all sub 280 yards but I want to be able to shoot to 400 if that is the opportunity I want to feel good at taking it

Also l be looked the tables and I know the .308 has a ft lb advantage but does the 6.5a. High sectional density even things out.

Thanks again:)!!!

The best I heard someone put it on here is "By the time a 6.5c outperforms a 308 I am not interested in either"

Don't overlook the frontal area and energy. Inside 500 yards I dont think a 6.5c can beat a 308's killing power on target.

I'll also second getting another 308. Having two similar rifles, loads, drops, and so on is nice when you need a backup.

OP
W

Wycowboy

FNG
No difference at 400 yards, both will kill to the same amount of dead at that range. keep your .308 and buy a nice scope, stock or a ton of ammo to practice with
My 308 is dead:( otherwise I would not be here:( too expensive to re barrel

OP
W

Wycowboy

FNG
The best I heard someone put it on here is "By the time a 6.5c outperforms a 308 I am not interested in either"

Don't overlook the frontal area and energy. Inside 500 yards I dont think a 6.5c can beat a 308's killing power on target.

I'll also second getting another 308. Having two similar rifles, loads, drops, and so on is nice when you need a backup.
So in your opinion there is a real meaningful difference in the .308 under 400 yards?

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
With the specified nonlead projectiles (and docking 50fps off the test barrel muzzle velocities):

127 LRX factory 6.5CM drops under 2200 FPS at 300 yards and under 2000FPS at 400 yards. 150 TTSX factory .308 drops under 2200 FPS at 290 yards and under 2000FPS at 390 yards.

Personally I'd take the 6.5 for the lighter recoil and slightly faster bullet and give up the 13 grains of bullet weight. Is it a "real, meaningful difference," probably not, at least not in terminal bullet performance. Hard to say how much better you'd shoot the 6.5 (but it would be better).

6.5PRC factory 127LRX would get you to 380 yards at 2200 and to 490 at 2000. That might be meaningful.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
So in your opinion there is a real meaningful difference in the .308 under 400 yards?

That's hard to quantify but I'd say yeah especially if most of your shots are more like 100-250. I don't think there is a wrong answer here and the time spent thinking about it very well may be better off in field or at the range.

Wrongside

WKR
The meaningful difference will be to your shoulder and shooting consistency when comparing a 5# 6.5CM and a 5# 308.
Yep. I’ve shot a fair bit of both in 5.5 pound and lighter rifles, and the difference is quite noticeable. IMO.

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I’ve shot a fair bit of both in 5.5 pound and lighter rifles, and the difference is quite noticeable. IMO.

I have a Fieldcraft 6.5cm and the recoil is very noticeably much less than my Ruger American .308, even though the gun is lighter.

Stalker69

WKR
Sounds to me like your trying to justify a reason to buy a new gun, I say just buy it. As you know they both work, and equally as well.

Welcome.

keeping in mind that most roksliders have a bias for lighter rifles, apart from recoil and some minor ballistic differences at 400 yards, they are going to be pretty similar on critters. i have both. After drinking the creed koolaid for a while, I was actually thinking about going back to the 308 for my next gun.

OP
W

Wycowboy

FNG
Sounds to me like your trying to justify a reason to buy a new gun, I say just buy it. As you know they both work, and equally as well.
Don’t need to justify, my 308 throat and barrel are toast so need a replacement 😜
Just trying to be smart and not get sucked into the .30 cal or nothing mind set.
Because it is what I have always used

Shortz

FNG
Meaningful is such a subjective term. Many people will argue yes, and many will argue no. Does it perform better on paper past 500 yards yes. Does it have less energy up close also yes. You honestly can’t go wrong with either one.

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t need to justify, my 308 throat and barrel are toast so need a replacement 😜
Just trying to be smart and not get sucked into the .30 cal or nothing mind set.
Having an open mind is great, but there is a reason .30 has been so popular for so long....it works. "30 cal or nothing" is just as silly as "30 cal is old so there must be better"

You're going to love the 6.5CM I think. I went from 30 caliber magnums to the 6.5CM for deer and antelope, though now I have a 6.5 PRC which will probably take over antelope duty. My "elk gun" is still the 300 WSM though so I have the luxury of having multiple rifles and get to tinker which keeps me sane. My wife and son shoot 308 and we just bought another 308 for my older son (kids are all grown) so we have 3 in the family now. I have two 6.5 CM for myself, one short barrel for the suppressor and one normal length. I really enjoy shooting them both, a lot, but I'll also be buying myself a 308 at some point once I find one that excites me. The fact that you have a lifetime of familiarity with the 308 is what tips my mind in it's favor if I were you, but then if you don't try anything new you'll never know. I think you should buy one of each, not kidding. Guns hold value well, if you find yourself not using one of them then get most of your money back. Use a picatinny rail scope mount and you can even swap a scope between the two easily.

ElPollo

WKR
Looking at various charts, even though the 127lrx starts out slower, at 300 yards they are about equal. And the lrx should open "better" then the ttsx at lower velocities (1600 min vs 1800 min). But, that is all on paper, so there may not be any real world difference.
I’ve heard and even seen the 1660-1800 fps figures for bullet upset from the manufacturer. But it’s the speed that these bullets require to START opening. To upset enough to do sufficient damage, you need minimum 2000-2200 fps for that. I would put the LRX on the lower end of that range and the TTSX on the higher side. Neither will create the scale of wound channel that a fragmenting lead bullet will create at 1800 fps.

OP
W

Wycowboy

FNG
Well all:) thank so so much for all the thoughtful comments. This was truly appreciated and helpful

After much thought and talk to a few folks who have done a bunch of gell
Test I decided to go with the 308 and pick up my howa superlite. Can’t wait to scope it up and try it out:)

180ls1

WKR
There is something to be said for shooting something you have confidence in, even if its not statistically relevant.

By the way, my old man just picked up the exact same gun. It'll be a little before it shows up though.