6.5 PRC glass

Tex68w

WKR
I am looking to have a 20" 6.5PRC built by Alamo soon, it'll be my whitetail, mule deer, aoudad, antelope rifle. I plan to run my TBAC Ultra 7 on the end hence the shorter barrel. I am torn on glass, I am so used to FFP optics since that's all I have used plinking steel LR the last decade, but is it necessary for this setup? Swaro, Leupold, Vortex, or maybe something else? I like the Vortex Razor HD LHT on paper but I have never looked through one nor have I ever had a custom reticle setup for loads. Thanks for any insight, suggestions, insults.

david_227

FNG
I use a similar 6.5 PRC with a Mark 5HD 3.6-18 x 44. I think it would serve you well for what you describe. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44 FFP, Bushnell LRTS/LRHS 3-12 (used market), SWFA 3-9 HD, SWFA 3-15, NF SHV 4-14 FFP.

If you want sub 20oz, then NF NXS 2.5-10x42 (SFP).

Do yourself a favor and skip the ones you listed. There is a good sub forum under Long Range Hunting that discusses scopes.

TXMedic

FNG
I just picked up the primary arms PA-GLX-4-16X50F-APOLLO for a similar-purpose rifle, mounted it last night on top of a fresh 22" Ruger Hawkeye long range hunter 65PRC.

Initial impressions are good. I set it with a set of TPS TSR rings. I'll probably post up my thoughts on a standalone thread after I get some time behind it. It might be worth considering, or at least checking out some youtube videos on the reticle.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Budget?
Weight goal?
How far are you shooting?
In what conditions & what sized targets?
Any preferences?

Budget: $2500
Weight: Rifle should be 6.25lbs, I'd like the the optic and rings to be under 30oz. to keep the build at or under 8lbs.
Distance: Most shots inside of 250 but would be comfortable shooting to 600.
Conditions/targets: Texas, NM, Colorado, fall/winter, animals listed in first post.
Preferences: I am used to Mil/Mil FFP optics as most of my shooting is LR on steel/paper. I have owned optics from most of the major makes, I wouldn't say that I have a preference in terms of brand. Something with an illuminated dot for low light would be nice. Not sure if I have to have FFP on a dedicated hunting setup.

I have a similar setup, 20” proof barrel and ultra 7. I went with a mk5 3-18 and like how it turned out. Good balance and lightweight.

It's on my short list.

SDHNTR

WKR
Budget: $2500
Weight: Rifle should be 6.25lbs, I'd like the the optic and rings to be under 30oz. to keep the build at or under 8lbs.
Distance: Most shots inside of 250 but would be comfortable shooting to 600.
Conditions/targets: Texas, NM, Colorado, fall/winter, animals listed in first post.
Preferences: I am used to Mil/Mil FFP optics as most of my shooting is LR on steel/paper. I have owned optics from most of the major makes, I wouldn't say that I have a preference in terms of brand. Something with an illuminated dot for low light would be nice. Not sure if I have to have FFP on a dedicated hunting setup.

It's on my short list.
Trijicon Tenmile checks your boxes.

NF NXS 2.5-10x42

March 1.5-15x42

I would have a tough decision between these 2 if I was buying today probably favoring the NF because I have not had a chance to shoot the March

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
OK, those who know me know I love sending these on to my reps and getting some input, so here's what I heard back so far:
Before we get there, I'm sure you're aware we are running the Made in the USA Burris XTR III's starting at only $999.99

OK, here's what i heard back:

Burris:
"That 30oz target is a tough one to get while checking all the other boxes. The shooters of NRL Hunter – Open Light division are limited to 12lb for the Rifle, Scope, muzzle device(s), Bipod, and Sling, so they’re the ones to follow for lightening the shooting system as much as reasonably possible. Currently the Leupold Mk5 HD has been winning the lightest optic category, but very few reticles are available with illumination, it’s a 35mm tube making ring choice limited, and it’s priced near his limit.

The XTR3 3.3-18x50mm is the best contender, and of course is available for much less ( without illumination on the deal you have now, and soon with illumination). The optical performance is similar, and the scope alone comes in just under 30oz. All other specs are comparable, as it is a compact scope with intermediate magnification range, and functional mil-based reticle in the FFP.

While other scopes out there exist, and may tick the boxes he’s currently looking for with a cheaper to build SFP reticle, it’s my personal recommendation that he stick with what he knows. If he’s confident and capable with his current setup, there’s no reason to change back to a SFP reticle that will occlude most of his target at low magnification. Within the Burris line, the Veracity is another consideration, and is far lighter at 22.7-28.2oz (depending on which magnification range he’d like), but doesn’t have an option for illuminated reticles, which tend to be quite nice to have as a hunter."

Sig Sauer:
"Our scopes are on the heavier end, but the Sierra6 BDX would likely satisfy most of his needs. Also then has the option for the BDX hunting system."

Sightron:
"If FFP is not needed, I recommend the SIII Long Range
Upside is having covered turrets, so less risk of bumping windage or elevation adjustments when hiking etc. and it's a great scope at a much lower price"

Zeiss:
"Conquest V4 4-16x50 - ZBi Illuminated #522945-9968-080
or Conquest V4 6-24x50 - ZBi - Illum. Reticle (#68) - Ext. Elev. - Ballistic Stop - .25 MOA #522955-9968-090.
I would think the 4-16x50 is going to do most of what he wants. The illuminated dot would be for his 200 yard Zero for his deer shots but he can push out to 600 easily with the holdover aspect of the reticle.
BUT, both are really backordered right now. But given his requirements, these are the ones I would recommend."

Steiner:
"I would recommend either of these as a SFP option, and lets him save some $$ for ammo. Note these are MOA, not MIL, which is standard for US hunting scopes.
Predator 4 4-16x50 - E3 #8772
Predator 4 6-24x50 - E3 #8773
or
T5Xi Tactical 5-25x56"

GPO:

SPECTRA 4x 2.5-10x44 - G4 Weight = 21.9 oz. 2FP Non illuminated
SPECTRA 6x 2-12x44i - BRWi Weight 20.3 oz 2FP BRWi reticle

Leica:
Amplus 6 3-18x44i - L-Ballistic BDC MOA would be great for this and probably is the only viable option from us. If FFP becomes necessary, NF NX8 2.5-20 or Leupold Mk5HD 3.5-18 would be fitting choices.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
NF 2.5-20 ~25oz

NF 2.5-10 ~20oz

If your rifle falls over on the scope in the field you'll have much less to worry about with a Nightforce.

SDHNTR

WKR
OK, those who know me know I love sending these on to my reps and getting some input, so here's what I heard back so far:
Before we get there, I'm sure you're aware we are running theMade in the USA Burris XTR III's starting at only $999.99

OK, here's what i heard back:

Burris:
"That 30oz target is a tough one to get while checking all the other boxes. The shooters of NRL Hunter – Open Light division are limited to 12lb for the Rifle, Scope, muzzle device(s), Bipod, and Sling, so they’re the ones to follow for lightening the shooting system as much as reasonably possible. Currently the Leupold Mk5 HD has been winning the lightest optic category, but very few reticles are available with illumination, it’s a 35mm tube making ring choice limited, and it’s priced near his limit.

The XTR3 3.3-18x50mm is the best contender, and of course is available for much less ( without illumination on the deal you have now, and soon with illumination). The optical performance is similar, and the scope alone comes in just under 30oz. All other specs are comparable, as it is a compact scope with intermediate magnification range, and functional mil-based reticle in the FFP.

While other scopes out there exist, and may tick the boxes he’s currently looking for with a cheaper to build SFP reticle, it’s my personal recommendation that he stick with what he knows. If he’s confident and capable with his current setup, there’s no reason to change back to a SFP reticle that will occlude most of his target at low magnification. Within the Burris line, the Veracity is another consideration, and is far lighter at 22.7-28.2oz (depending on which magnification range he’d like), but doesn’t have an option for illuminated reticles, which tend to be quite nice to have as a hunter."

Sig Sauer:
"Our scopes are on the heavier end, but the Sierra6 BDX would likely satisfy most of his needs. Also then has the option for the BDX hunting system."

Sightron:
"If FFP is not needed, I recommend the SIII Long Range
Upside is having covered turrets, so less risk of bumping windage or elevation adjustments when hiking etc. and it's a great scope at a much lower price"

Zeiss:
"Conquest V4 4-16x50 - ZBi Illuminated #522945-9968-080
or Conquest V4 6-24x50 - ZBi - Illum. Reticle (#68) - Ext. Elev. - Ballistic Stop - .25 MOA #522955-9968-090.
I would think the 4-16x50 is going to do most of what he wants. The illuminated dot would be for his 200 yard Zero for his deer shots but he can push out to 600 easily with the holdover aspect of the reticle.
BUT, both are really backordered right now. But given his requirements, these are the ones I would recommend."

Steiner:
"I would recommend either of these as a SFP option, and lets him save some $$ for ammo. Note these are MOA, not MIL, which is standard for US hunting scopes.
Predator 4 4-16x50 - E3 #8772
Predator 4 6-24x50 - E3 #8773
or
T5Xi Tactical 5-25x56"

I hope this helps
Just curious, what do your reps think of all this drop testing business? I’m wondering if word is getting out and back to engineering departments.

ofl0926

WKR
Consensus is basically why would anyone purposely drop a glass anything?

I believe it’s done purposely to test equipment. Last thing any hunter want is to drop their and then totally miss because a scope failure. Accidents happen in the field. Most of us test equipment. We test our shelters, stove system, sleep system, boots, clothing etc etc etc. so why not test rifle scope

sndmn11

WKR
I believe it’s done purposely to test equipment. Last thing any hunter want is to drop their and then totally miss because a scope failure. Accidents happen in the field. Most of us test equipment. We test our shelters, stove system, sleep system, boots, clothing etc etc etc. so why not test rifle scope

The point of the testing is not to predict performance after a booboo, it is to predict long term performance and ability to hold zero through the long haul of regular use.