6.5 PRC or 7 PRC?

Just got back from sighting in my new rig. 7PRC built on a Tikka t3x stainless with a 22" proof barrel and an MDT hnt26 folding chassis. Shoots very well with factory 175 ELDx, the chassis is awesome. I plan to upgrade the optic to something lighter when budget allows but I'm looking forward to September! Glad I went with the 7 though I'm the 6.5 would do just fine most of the time.
I picked up the 300WM tikka used but it was never fired and the proof was a blank I got from a guy who ended up doing a different build and not needing it, so good prices on both. I'm in BC so MDT is more affordable and availabe vs XLR. No suppresors up here so I put a break on and it was very easy to shoot, though loud.

Attachments

• 20230805_135936.jpg
    20230805_135936.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 137

700-223

FNG
Yep, sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in.

I've decided to go 7mm PRC. I haven't decided which rifle yet, but I'm now contemplating build vs. buy. This will be my do it all rifle for elk, mule deer & black bear, so I'm going with the extra power. I have seen 7 PRC ammo available online as well as in stores (in Colorado) so I'm not too worried and I'll pick up a handful of boxes most likely.

I think I'm set on building, I almost bought a Seekins Element but the more I look at the MDT HNT26 the more I like it. There are also some great stocks out there where you can build a rifle for $2000 as well.
Great choice; the better of the two in my opinion. The 7 prc will be a nice upgrade from you 7 RM with similar recoil. I went with a NEXUS switch barrel 6.5 and 300 PRC. If I was just going with one, it’d be the 7 PRC. Best ballistic performance of the three and the sectional density of 180 weight bullets in .284 is tremendous.

You choose any more components yet to put on your MDT chassis?

OP
rockymtnsam
Great choice; the better of the two in my opinion. The 7 prc will be a nice upgrade from you 7 RM with similar recoil. I went with a NEXUS switch barrel 6.5 and 300 PRC. If I was just going with one, it’d be the 7 PRC. Best ballistic performance of the three and the sectional density of 180 weight bullets in .284 is tremendous.

You choose any more components yet to put on your MDT chassis?
Not yet! Season is quickly approaching and I’ve had some financial issues so I don’t think I’ll be building it for this season unfortunately, looks like it’ll be next year. That’ll give me some time to research exactly what I want.

700-223

FNG
Not yet! Season is quickly approaching and I’ve had some financial issues so I don’t think I’ll be building it for this season unfortunately, looks like it’ll be next year. That’ll give me some time to research exactly what I want.
That’s alright, it’ll give you more time to figure out exactly what you want. I went with a complete rifle, but there’s a lot of good actions with integral rails. Paired with a carbon six or proof prefit they’re as good as anything out there IMO.

We’re spoiled for options these days, looking forward to seeing what you build.

OP
rockymtnsam
That’s alright, it’ll give you more time to figure out exactly what you want. I went with a complete rifle, but there’s a lot of good actions with integral rails. Paired with a carbon six or proof prefit they’re as good as anything out there IMO.

We’re spoiled for options these days, looking forward to seeing what you build.
No doubt. I thought about a semi-custom rifle but by the time I get exactly what I want I might as well build something with one of those barrels. Appreciate it!

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from sighting in my new rig. 7PRC built on a Tikka t3x stainless with a 22" proof barrel and an MDT hnt26 folding chassis. Shoots very well with factory 175 ELDx, the chassis is awesome. I plan to upgrade the optic to something lighter when budget allows but I'm looking forward to September! Glad I went with the 7 though I'm the 6.5 would do just fine most of the time.
I picked up the 300WM tikka used but it was never fired and the proof was a blank I got from a guy who ended up doing a different build and not needing it, so good prices on both. I'm in BC so MDT is more affordable and availabe vs XLR. No suppresors up here so I put a break on and it was very easy to shoot, though loud.
Nice rig, what tripod?

DBarr

FNG
One thing to keep in mind is how long you want the barrel to be and the muzzle device you might run. I recently decided I wanted shorter, lighter rifles to run suppressors on.

My Proof 6.5CM has a 24” barrel and I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness in 6.5PRC. I plan on rebarreling both to short barrels, but that will probably mean I take the 6.5 PRC for deer/sheep and will need a 7 PRC for Elk and Oryx (if I ever draw).
Kenner22, Can I ask how short you'll go when you rebarrel?

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
7 PRC.

It shoots bigger heavier bullets further. You hunt elk and deer. 7mm is a good bullet for medium and big game. Better BCs, SDs, for bullets weighing in at 175 than 30 cal. 175 grain ELD-X will be going 2800-3000 out of a 7 PRC with a G1 of 0.689 and. G7 of 0.347. SD of 0.310. Basically in the 170-180 class you are out performing a 300 win mag especially at distances where the added bc catches up.

OP
rockymtnsam
7 PRC.

It shoots bigger heavier bullets further. You hunt elk and deer. 7mm is a good bullet for medium and big game. Better BCs, SDs, for bullets weighing in at 175 than 30 cal. 175 grain ELD-X will be going 2800-3000 out of a 7 PRC with a G1 of 0.689 and. G7 of 0.347. SD of 0.310. Basically in the 170-180 class you are out performing a 300 win mag especially at distances where the added bc catches up.
Appreciate all the numbers! I’ve decided to go 7 PRC. Unfortunately had some medical bills so may have to hold off on purchasing for this season, but we’ll see.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Kenner22, Can I ask how short you'll go when you rebarrel?
I’ve been collecting a lot of numbers on several calibers before I decide what to really do. 18” seems to be a good spot for the 6.5 PRC, seems like most guys are still getting good velocity with 140s and up at that length.

I might end up going with another 7 PRC or 300 WSM to satisfy my need for an elk rifle before I do that, again in the 18” or 20” lengths.

JD18941

FNG
What would you say the recoil is like for the 7prc with a brake? Maybe a 270 or 243?

JD18941

FNG
My braked 7PRC is very pleasant to shoot. 7-08 or .308 type of recoil.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Doesn’t sound too bad. I’m building one now. Was a little worried about the recoil. Putting a sidewinder brake on it and the rifle will also weigh around 12.5 lbs with everything on it. Hoping it will be similar to my 270.

Marshfly

WKR
Doesn’t sound too bad. I’m building one now. Was a little worried about the recoil. Putting a sidewinder brake on it and the rifle will also weigh around 12.5 lbs with everything on it. Hoping it will be similar to my 270.

12.5# is super heavy. That should kick like a 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk