6.5 PRC or 7 PRC?

What would you say the recoil is like for the 7prc with a brake? Maybe a 270 or 243?
My rifle is 8.6lbs scoped and it is very mild for recoil. Doesn't feel that different then my 308. I was initially concerned how it would be in a lightweight build but it's a non issue. I can shoot for a long time with out it bothering me and I am not a large human.

Doesn’t sound too bad. I’m building one now. Was a little worried about the recoil. Putting a sidewinder brake on it and the rifle will also weigh around 12.5 lbs with everything on it. Hoping it will be similar to my 270.
Braked and 12 pounds... It will be significantly less then a hunting weight non braked .270 :)

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jstraus34

FNG
The OP mentioned that he does not plan on taking shots beyond 5-600 yds and that he wants to kill elk, deer and possibly bear. Based on this information, I’m going to select a bullet with the highest BC that delivers the necessary depth of penetration and wound channel to effectively kill prey at my maximum desired/effective range. I’m going to deliver this bullet with a cartridge that recoils the least. Preferably one that’s readily available and available off the shelf. Recoil affects hit rates.
I have a 6.5 PRC. I didn’t put it together for hunting inside of 600.
I love the 6.5 cm for deer but have seen a bunch of my shots that did not pass through with bonded bullets. A 243 can take down an elk with the right conditions but elk are not small animals and question if the 6.5 CM or even the 6.5 PRC is the right medicine for the job. I just got back from elk hunt and shot a bull with 300 wsm with 180 gr bonded bullet at 185 (relatively close shot in the elk hunting world). It was slight quartering away and first shot lodged against the far shoulder, no exit. The bull did not go 2 steps but that was also due to a quick followup shot with hit spine. On the same hunt one of the guys shot an elk with 7MM mag with a Barnes TSX, no exit and no blood trail. Did not find the bull until the next day, He got lucky. This is an n of 2 so not exactly scientific evaluation but we owe it to the animals we hunt to use the enough gun for the job to not end being a coyote and bear food and dead head that someone finds in the spring. Just my two cents.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Recoil on 7prc is moderate and more of a challenge to stay on target for a follow up shot than 6.5cm I had shot with - that’s the only thing I’ve noticed and with more work/securing it better I hope to get used to it. With the heavy Zeiss LRP S3 I’ve added a full pound and I’m 10.5lbs. More than I had planned - wasn’t trying to be super lightweight but I was a little surprised when it went on the scale and that was without the bipod. Will be over 11lbs with that and maybe 12# once the suppressor is on. I’ve handled some of the super lightweight rifles and I’d imagine they’d be snappy in 7prc - If lightweight pack rifle were the goal 6.5prc would prob be my choice now having shot my 7 more - just to see shots easier.

jstraus34

FNG
Recoil on 7prc is moderate and more of a challenge to stay on target for a follow up shot than 6.5cm I had shot with - that’s the only thing I’ve noticed and with more work/securing it better I hope to get used to it. With the heavy Zeiss LRP S3 I’ve added a full pound and I’m 10.5lbs. More than I had planned - wasn’t trying to be super lightweight but I was a little surprised when it went on the scale and that was without the bipod. Will be over 11lbs with that and maybe 12# once the suppressor is on. I’ve handled some of the super lightweight rifles and I’d imagine they’d be snappy in 7prc - If lightweight pack rifle were the goal 6.5prc would prob be my choice now having shot my 7 more - just to see shots easier.
Recoil is definitely going to be more for a 7PRC than a 6.5 CM but ask any hunter and they will tell you they never notice the recoil when shooting at game. That said, they make some fantastic muzzlebrakes that tame it up to 70ish %. I gave my bull two pills with 300 wsm both hits and the guide was like that was the fastest follow-up shot I've seen, I have a recoil hog on mine. On the bench it makes it feel like a 6.5 CM to be honest. Here's a recoil comparison for the 7PRC from Backfire.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.08.53 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 10.08.53 AM.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 120

700-223

FNG
Take your pick. I’d use a mono metal on elk in 6.5 PRC. IMO, a 7 PRC is ideal - the sectional density and momentum is much higher for a 160, 175 or 180 7 mm bullet than a 130, 143, or 147 6.5 prc. That matters on big, tough game like elk.

TBH though, if it’s for an occasional elk hunt - every four or five years I’d go with the 6.5 prc and I did. Shot placement trumps everything else and recoil matters - a lot.

I went with a switch barrel Gunwerks Nexus in 6.5 PRC AND 300 PRC. I’ve got a bull moose tag this year, so I’m using the 300 prc and 190 gr CX. Everything smaller than moose and elk, I’m using the 6.5 PRC. I would, and have considered using the 6.5 PRC with a mono metal or bonded bullet on moose this fall, but I’ve got the 300 PRC and it’s ideal IMO for elk sized game. I’ve got other rifles, but plan on using this almost exclusively.

A 6.5 CM and 7 PRC would also be an excellent combo. In fact, a 223 and 7 PRC in similar rifles for practicing/varmints and big game hunt would pretty much cover you.

Can’t go wrong, really. My previous hunting rifle was a 7 RM and I loved it but it was honestly more than necessary on deer which is 90% of our hunting opportunities here in Alberta. Coyotes, deer, pronghorn are about 98% of my opportunities so I decided to go smaller and bigger!

YMMV, but I found this article very informative. https://backfire.tv/prc-cartridge-comparison/

Let us know what you get!

1697989301201.png

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t sound too bad. I’m building one now. Was a little worried about the recoil. Putting a sidewinder brake on it and the rifle will also weigh around 12.5 lbs with everything on it. Hoping it will be similar to my 270.
I would not worry about recoil on most "standard action length" cartridges. I have a 300 win. It recoils more than my 308 but I can shoot both all day because I shoulder the guns correctly and have good recoil pads. Brakes definitely help but good recoil pad and correct shouldering does a lot. Now staying on target is much harder with a 300 win than a braked 6.5 cm. Braked 6.5 cm kicks less than an unbraked 223...

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really loving my new 7 PRC but I generally think it's a bit much for most deer at typical ranges of < 200 yards. For mulies and elk in the west, I think it's peerless! If combined the best virtues of the 30-06, 7mm Rm and 300 WM the result would be the 7 PRC.

Up next I'm thinking will be the 6.5 PRC necked up to 7 mm, I think Ultimate Reloader is working on a wildcat now called the 7 PRC W.

FWIW I have been shooting my 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC back-to-back quite a bit the last several weeks.

6.5 PRC is a Seekins Havak element
7 PRC is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT

Both rifles are shot with my Hyperion K suppressor (CA was shot with a muzzle break prior)

My thoughts:

Recoil wise, the 7 PRC is LESS then I expected and the 6.5 PRC is MORE then I expected (coming from the 6.5 creedmoor land). Neither is punishing at all (and these are in lightweight rifles), and I can blow more money on ammo shooting then is practical in a short amount of time :) The 6.5 is obvious a decent bit less than the 7... but with a can, both are "pleasant" to shoot and sessions of 30-40 shots are easily done.

Stock and recoil pad make a difference... the CA 7PRC is significantly more pleasant to shoot then my un-braked T3x in 30-06, for example. The Seekins is in the same ballpark as my 6.5 creedmoor T3x.

In my opinion, at least with my rifles, recoil is just not really an issue (at least with a break or can).

Both are awesome rounds!

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I have been shooting my 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC back-to-back quite a bit the last several weeks.

6.5 PRC is a Seekins Havak element
7 PRC is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT

Both rifles are shot with my Hyperion K suppressor (CA was shot with a muzzle break prior)

My thoughts:

Recoil wise, the 7 PRC is LESS then I expected and the 6.5 PRC is MORE then I expected (coming from the 6.5 creedmoor land). Neither is punishing at all (and these are in lightweight rifles), and I can blow more money on ammo shooting then is practical in a short amount of time :) The 6.5 is obvious a decent bit less than the 7... but with a can, both are "pleasant" to shoot and sessions of 30-40 shots are easily done.

Stock and recoil pad make a difference... the CA 7PRC is significantly more pleasant to shoot then my un-braked T3x in 30-06, for example. The Seekins is in the same ballpark as my 6.5 creedmoor T3x.

In my opinion, at least with my rifles, recoil is just not really an issue (at least with a break or can).

Both are awesome rounds!
Nice feedback! I've shot a 7mm RM for years, a Win 70 with a trim traditional stock. Stock fit is everything and it's easy to shoot. After shooting my 7 PRC at the range, suppressed, it's very comfortable to shoot, not like my 6.5 CM but but I can shoot it with comfort and just as accurately. I build mine with a 22" barrel, a compromise wanting it as short as possible for the can but not giving up on too much velocity.

jstraus34

FNG
Nice feedback! I've shot a 7mm RM for years, a Win 70 with a trim traditional stock. Stock fit is everything and it's easy to shoot. After shooting my 7 PRC at the range, suppressed, it's very comfortable to shoot, not like my 6.5 CM but but I can shoot it with comfort and just as accurately. I build mine with a 22" barrel, a compromise wanting it as short as possible for the can but not giving up on too much velocity.

Great looking setup

I have had great luck shooting elk with my 6.5 prc with both 143 eldx and 147 eldx. From distances 100 yds to 375. It has been great.

That being said. I am building a 7 prc now. I think the 7 will be a better all around fit for the things I’m planning on hunting.

If I had to choose one it would be the 7 prc it’s more versatile for my needs.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really loving my new 7 PRC but I generally think it's a bit much for most deer at typical ranges of < 200 yards. For mulies and elk in the west, I think it's peerless! If combined the best virtues of the 30-06, 7mm Rm and 300 WM the result would be the 7 PRC.

Up next I'm thinking will be the 6.5 PRC necked up to 7 mm, I think Ultimate Reloader is working on a wildcat now called the 7 PRC W.
You mean a 7wsm lol

jstraus34

FNG
You mean a 7wsm lol
You're not wrong, to me its more of a horse of a different color. Rate of twist and marketing is what is going to make the 7 PRC the shiny new toy. I have a 300 WSM that I love and hope they keep it alive as it just plain works at the ranges I shoot at. I'm not taking elk at 600+ yards

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
You're not wrong, to me its more of a horse of a different color. Rate of twist and marketing is what is going to make the 7 PRC the shiny new toy. I have a 300 WSM that I love and hope they keep it alive as it just plain works at the ranges I shoot at. I'm not taking elk at 600+ yards
It's a bummer 7wsm doesn't get the support it deserves. I've got enough 300 wsm brass to burn out a barrel.

Last edited:
Just shot my first shots thru my new CA 7 prc, with a break not much more than my 7 mag with a break. Still breaking it in but i think my set up is gonna work well.

Attachments

• 20240103_161540.jpg
    20240103_161540.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 50