6.5 PRC or 7 PRC?

Piggy back
I'm really torn between 6.5 prc and 7mm PRC for a "do it all" rifle for Elk, Mule deer, Black bears and Moose. It's difficult to sift through all the info online because everyone has their bias. Of course, bullet choice and shot placement are always important. I've read through a lot of the threads on here, watched youtube videos etc etc. My biggest hesitation with the 7mm is recoil on a light rifle, being able to spot impacts and enjoy shooting it. My biggest hesitation with the 6.5 is performance on bull Elk and Moose at 400 yards. I'm fine limiting my shots on those animals to that range. I've only shot elk under 100 yards so far anyways, mostly due to the country where I hunt them. I would likely shoot accubonds or a mono for the 6.5 hunting large animals as well.
I will be putting a muzzle break on as I live in Canada and we aren't allowed suppressors up here. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with either of these cartridges or have any friends with knowledge on these sorts of things.
I'm not a hand loader(Yet) so factory ammunition is a consideration. Right now there is a good selection of 6.5 available up here but for the 7mm only Eld-x and Eld-m in limited quantities. I'm sure more will become available but I don't know how long it will take.
There are also very limited options for rifles chambered in 7 prc still and as much as I would love to build one off a tikka who knows how long it will be until a proof prefit is available in Canada. I am considering getting the 6.5 and if I'm not happy with it, seems like the resale market is pretty good and in a year I will be able to see how the 7PRC is doing for availability. Happy to do more research if there's a good resource you can point me towards.
I'd go 7 PRC

The 6.5 will do it, but the 7 will hit harder. If youre looking for a carbon barrel check out IBI, Ryan is wicked to deal with and I got a 7mm blank from them and will be chambering it in 7 PRC on a Defiance action next month. Should have everything for my rifle soon. Go Big Tactical is a great distributor to work with on getting parts.

Piggy back
I'm really torn between 6.5 prc and 7mm PRC for a "do it all" rifle for Elk, Mule deer, Black bears and Moose. It's difficult to sift through all the info online because everyone has their bias. Of course, bullet choice and shot placement are always important. I've read through a lot of the threads on here, watched youtube videos etc etc. My biggest hesitation with the 7mm is recoil on a light rifle, being able to spot impacts and enjoy shooting it. My biggest hesitation with the 6.5 is performance on bull Elk and Moose at 400 yards. I'm fine limiting my shots on those animals to that range. I've only shot elk under 100 yards so far anyways, mostly due to the country where I hunt them. I would likely shoot accubonds or a mono for the 6.5 hunting large animals as well.
I will be putting a muzzle break on as I live in Canada and we aren't allowed suppressors up here. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with either of these cartridges or have any friends with knowledge on these sorts of things.
I'm not a hand loader(Yet) so factory ammunition is a consideration. Right now there is a good selection of 6.5 available up here but for the 7mm only Eld-x and Eld-m in limited quantities. I'm sure more will become available but I don't know how long it will take.
There are also very limited options for rifles chambered in 7 prc still and as much as I would love to build one off a tikka who knows how long it will be until a proof prefit is available in Canada. I am considering getting the 6.5 and if I'm not happy with it, seems like the resale market is pretty good and in a year I will be able to see how the 7PRC is doing for availability. Happy to do more research if there's a good resource you can point me towards.

Yep, sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in.

I've decided to go 7mm PRC. I haven't decided which rifle yet, but I'm now contemplating build vs. buy. This will be my do it all rifle for elk, mule deer & black bear, so I'm going with the extra power. I have seen 7 PRC ammo available online as well as in stores (in Colorado) so I'm not too worried and I'll pick up a handful of boxes most likely.

I think I'm set on building, I almost bought a Seekins Element but the more I look at the MDT HNT26 the more I like it. There are also some great stocks out there where you can build a rifle for $2000 as well.

I've decided to go 7mm PRC. I haven't decided which rifle yet, but I'm now contemplating build vs. buy. This will be my do it all rifle for elk, mule deer & black bear, so I'm going with the extra power. I have seen 7 PRC ammo available online as well as in stores (in Colorado) so I'm not too worried and I'll pick up a handful of boxes most likely.

I think I'm set on building, I almost bought a Seekins Element but the more I look at the MDT HNT26 the more I like it. There are also some great stocks out there where you can build a rifle for $2000 as well.
Where are you having luck finding 7prc in CO? I've looked all over Denver and Castle Rock and have yet to see a box of it. Find a spot that does a good job of carrying the premium hunting ammo?

Where are you having luck finding 7prc in CO? I've looked all over Denver and Castle Rock and have yet to see a box of it. Find a spot that does a good job of carrying the premium hunting ammo?
Scheels had it last time I was there. I’m in Colorado Springs, I’ve seen it at a couple stores. Someone else responded with a website that has it stocked as well.

I'm a 6.5 caliber kind of guy. I have the 6.5x55 Sweed, the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC... all because the recoil is manageable and I do not like a gun that draws blood on both ends of it. I think the 6.5 PRC would be an awesome gun for elk and mullies.

I went with 7prc just to try to do all if I ever go bigger than elk. I thought I was between just 6.5 & 7prc but if you want something in the middle and don't mind a wildcat... mcwhorter's 7sprc is sweet. short action / lighter / heavier bullet.

Well, could have bought a 7mmprc, but in ca. It's copper only, no ammo. So I went 6.5prc and sitting on 8 boxes. Waiting 7 more days for the cool off period then off to the range. 130 grain.

Attachments

• 20230620_113532.jpg
    20230620_113532.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 42
Well, could have bought a 7mmprc, but in ca. It's copper only, no ammo. So I went 6.5prc and sitting on 8 boxes. Waiting 7 more days for the cool off period then off to the range. 130 grain.

Hornady outfitter is the CX (copper) bullet.

Have a bunch and so far so good with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hornady outfitter is the CX (copper) bullet.

Have a bunch and so far so good with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Have 5 boxes, and Barnes vortex. I will see which 1 groups. Can't wait to play with my new toy. Love franchi, bennelli.

I

I managed to find a Proof 22" 7mm blank from a guy who ended up not doing a build. Decent price for Canada too, found a gunsmith not too far from me who will chamber it on a Tikka actions for me once it gets here. So 7prc it is! Ordered a few boxes of ELD-X already to make sure I can feed it. Hope your build goes well! I plan to put it in a MDT as well, their facility is only like 8 hours from where I live which is cool. I'll post some pictures when it comes together.

My nephews custom 6.5 tikka

Attachments

• IMG_9154.jpg
    IMG_9154.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 125
The 6.5 PRC is a "medium action" it has it's own unique length, performance very much like the 270 Winchester. The 7 PRC is an entirely difference class of cartridge, larger, more powder, more recoil and designed for heavy, high BC bullets like 175s and 180s. The 7 PRC is more comparable to the 300 win mag so I'd say comparing the 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC is not apples to apples. That said, I'm a fan of the 7 PRC and just finished this one last week.

One thing to keep in mind is how long you want the barrel to be and the muzzle device you might run. I recently decided I wanted shorter, lighter rifles to run suppressors on.

My Proof 6.5CM has a 24” barrel and I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness in 6.5PRC. I plan on rebarreling both to short barrels, but that will probably mean I take the 6.5 PRC for deer/sheep and will need a 7 PRC for Elk and Oryx (if I ever draw).

Last edited:
I've got a 6.5 prc, 7 prc and 300 prc.

For what you listed as requirements I'd be looking at 7prc or 300 prc. My 7prc is shooting 175eld-x @ 3008fps and recoil is very mild with a brake on it. Without the brake it's moderate recoil kind of like a 300wsm or 7mm rem mag.

I've got a 6.5 prc, 7 prc and 300 prc.

For what you listed as requirements I'd be looking at 7prc or 300 prc. My 7prc is shooting 175eld-x @ 3008fps and recoil is very mild with a brake on it. Without the brake it's moderate recoil kind of like a 300wsm or 7mm rem mag.
How long is your barrel?

If your looking for a custom in the local area give Kevin a call over at Weaver in Peyton. They have taken care of several rifles for me.

Being torn myself. I went with a Fierce Carbon Rogue in 300 PRC and a Carbon Rival XP in 7 PRC.

The Carbon Rival will be my go to rifle this season.

Back