6.5 prc

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know a guy who killed a large bull moose with a 6.5 creedmoore so a prc should be fine. Not that it wouldn’t work but it would probably be among my last choices for moose hunting.

sveltri

WKR
I wouldn’t go so far as to call you an ass. I imagine you’re a nice guy. Cut yourself a little slack. However, your question isn’t all that smart.
Ok, well I tried, so here goes. Elk are considerably tougher to kill than moose. It seems very apparent that their will to live is greater. They do come in a more compact package and it seems to me that their skeleton structure is similar with the bones being closer together. Elk also have smaller lungs. So please enlighten me how an animal with larger lungs (and vitals altogether) with more space between their bone structure is harder to kill than an animal with that does not enjoy the same physiology? Telling me my question isn't smart, but not answering the question is telling. What then is the minimum caliber you recommend, only for dispatching an alaskan moose? Protection from other species not withstanding.

Akirie

FNG
Ok, well I tried, so here goes. Elk are considerably tougher to kill than moose. It seems very apparent that their will to live is greater. They do come in a more compact package and it seems to me that their skeleton structure is similar with the bones being closer together. Elk also have smaller lungs. So please enlighten me how an animal with larger lungs (and vitals altogether) with more space between their bone structure is harder to kill than an animal with that does not enjoy the same physiology? Telling me my question isn't smart, but not answering the question is telling. What then is the minimum caliber you recommend, only for dispatching an alaskan moose? Protection from other species not withstanding.
This is an age old debate. I know better but here we go....

For me personally its about versatility- I want to shoot moose near and far. Maximize opportunity for an ethical harvest. So I carry a big stick with range that can be effective on a large mass animal with a thick hide. I'm admittedly a meat hunter. Much respect to those recurve sheep guys!

But smaller calibers can and do ethically harvest moose. So do bow and arrows. To each their own!

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
I had a bad experience with Berger 168gn VLD Hunts out of a 308 on a moose that was hit broadside in the front shoulder at 75 yds. Bullet blew up and left a 5 inch laceration at point of impact, needless to say the moose did not go down and my only blood trail experience involving a moose ensued. We ended up finding it and finishing the job, but I will not hunt with those rounds ever again. I've never had an issue like that with partitions, Barnes, or even core-lokt for that matter.

madcalfe

WKR
I had a bad experience with Berger 168gn VLD Hunts out of a 308 on a moose that was hit broadside in the front shoulder at 75 yds. Bullet blew up and left a 5 inch laceration at point of impact, needless to say the moose did not go down and my only blood trail experience involving a moose ensued. We ended up finding it and finishing the job, but I will not hunt with those rounds ever again. I've never had an issue like that with partitions, Barnes, or even core-lokt for that matter.
thats cause you used a VLD at 75 yards in a shoulder..... cant really compare a berger vld to a partition completely different.

VernAK

WKR
Friends have come up to hunt Geezer Ridge with us and we ask them to bring bullets designed for deep penetration and bone breaking. We've seen some very poor results with VLDs. With all of the great hunting bullets on the market, we see no sense in bringing thin jacket bullets for moose and grizzly sized game.

Bonded core is our minimum. Barnes TTSX and Trophy Bonded Bear Claw are two of our favorites.

rope

FNG
Not a PRC but I used the 6.5 GAP (SAUM based) and shot 3 with the Barnes 127 LRX and 1 with the Lapua 139 Scenar and continue to use the 6.5 GAP. Avatar has one on the 127 LRX kills. A buddy also shoots a 6.5 GAP but shoot the Berger 140 hybrid he has no complaints. Neither one of us has 156 experience, but from what you describe, it sounds like you should give it a try.

I'm proud to say I took a Moose with a 6.5 CM. 140g Accubond. Big tremendous cow. So old the meat was tough, and not good eating. One shot through the lungs did it.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Makes you wonder how people kill these animals with archery equipment 😆 I’d venture to say your setup is just fine.