6.5 saum v 6.5 saum improved

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Thats what I had in mind but im not sure I might be diving too deep down a rabbit hole. Maybe I just go 6.5 saum +P. I talked to Jake about the 6UM and Im having a hard time building a custom rifle at a 243 caliber at this junction in my life. I did read your feed on it and it was attention grabbing. I do appreciate the IMP design of bullets and I thought while im at building a reloading only cartridge, I could just keep going and make it super niche. I am a bit worried it might be more trouble then its worth, hence why I started this thread in hopes of gaining some others' perspectives on it.

I think you should build a 6UM +P. Put your whole body in that rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
J

JQuaglino

FNG
I think you should build a 6UM +P. Put your whole body in that rabbit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe on my second custom gun but not my first I see what you are doing and I'm not discounting it

bradb

WKR
I say keep it simple and go straight 6.5 saum and no +p. Buy a lot of components and shoot the shit out of it. When you wear that barrel out then decide if you want to do anything different.
My first "custom"/real accurate rifle was before the internet and was a 22br rem 40x. I just started handloading, little did I know I needed to also turn necks. What ever that was. No internet, so find books to read, find people to call by finding where they lived and calling information to find there number. Took 2 weeks to hear from Rem custom shop and then they gave me 6br neck dimensions. Finally when getting hold of people that could help and them giving me suggested books to read and places that sell good tools for reloading ect ( I had no mentor so I was on my own). I got it figured out and gun shot great. I now have several customs and still fight with choices on each I do. BUT for the first keep it simple and just have fun shooting it. I am sure your decisions will change after the first and 10th!

Last edited:
Any updates on the round

There is literally zero reason to build either of these over 6.5 PRC, none. With PRC there’s now quality brass available from Lapua, ADG, and Petersen, and you also have several factory ammo options if you don’t want to load or need some ammo in a pinch. SAUM is dead.

B23

WKR
There is literally zero reason to build either of these over 6.5 PRC, none. With PRC there’s now quality brass available from Lapua, ADG, and Petersen, and you also have several factory ammo options if you don’t want to load or need some ammo in a pinch. SAUM is dead.
All good arguable points. For me, choosing to use the SAUM parent case over the 6.5 PRC case on my next build, 25 SAUM, was I wanted to squeeze a little more velocity out of something I could still easily fit in a short action and though it's not a lot, about 100fps, it's enough to pick the SAUM over the 6.5PRC case but again that's just for me and others very well may see it differently.

6.5x284

WKR
I don't think the 6.5 SAUM is dead by any means. I can think of 100 reasons to get one over a PRC. Get on a waiting list and see how fast brass sells out when it's live. It's a free 100 fps over a PRC with the same ADG brass. Who wouldn't want that if already reloading? For factory ammo I think the PRC is phenomenal but no way I'd own one as a reloader when I can buy 6.5 SAUM brass and dies.

I run a 6.5 SAUM +P in a 22" and sling the 156 Bergers over 3,000 fps with H1000 and no pressure. No way I'm getting that in a PRC or PRC +P with H1000 or N565 in a 22" barrel.

To the original question however, no way I'd mess with an improved SAUM or PRC.

I love my standard 6.5 SAUM. I'm shooting 156 Bergers a hair under 3000fps out of a 22" with a load of RL26

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I am having a 6.5 Saum +p built at the moment. I own a custom 6.5 prc also. The 6.5 prc with 156 eol. I couldnt get anywhere close to 2975fps “safely” with H1000 ( i was told to try n565) But some claim they can. I went back to the 6.5 Saum bc it just has more fuel in the tank. Sure brass is “sometimes harder to get “ but its out there if you look in the right places. Buy enough to last the life of the barrel.

Only advantage a 6.5prc has is factory available ammo. Thats a big deal if someone doesn’t reload.

You do make good points. The Saum is far from dead ……….. that statement has been made several times since the 6.5PRC was released.

Yeah that's why no major rifle or ammunition manufacturers offer anything for it, and the like two ammo options that are out there are as iffy as a blood transfusion from Charlie Sheen. Even 7mm and 300 SAUM is gone and you can't even hardly find a box of ammo if you've got a rifle chambered in one.

As much as I dislike Hornady because they're just a huge marketing giant and really don't truly invent anything and a lot of their stuff is mediocre at best, one thing you've gotta give them credit for is that when they take something that's a wildcat and roll it out commercially, it gets adopted by all the major manufacturers and continues to be supported. Look at 204 Ruger two decades later. It's got limited practical use to basically varmint and predator hunting that a bunch of other stuff can do too thats more commercially available and has been around a whole lot longer but it's still supported well to this day with rifles and ammo. How much shit from Remington, Federal and Winchester has come and gone?

6.5PRC is an inherently most accurate case design and is here to stay and be supported. Saying 6.5 SAUM isn't dead is like saying that someone that's brain dead isn't dead because a ventilator is keeping them alive. You're the ventilator.

If it was dead there wouldnt be any support anywhere for it. But yet folks are still buying brass for the “ dead” cartridge…… ( It may not be as popular as the 6.5 PRC ) i think thats where many people get confused on such on subject matters as this. Do you shoot a 6.5 PRC ? Just curious if you do. If you do can you share the data points you have in comparing the two ( beside the brass and factory ammo points you made twice and most would agree on that as i Stated above in a comment) Because if someone is willing to ask on a forum 6.5 Saum vs 6.5 saum improved. Which had nothing to do with a PRC cartridge. I have owned both and i am going back to a Saum. He is looking for real world data not a PRC vs Saum thread.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
If it was dead there wouldnt be any support anywhere for it. But yet folks are still buying brass for the “ dead” cartridge…… ( It may not be as popular as the 6.5 PRC ) i think thats where many people get confused on such on subject matters as this. Do you shoot a 6.5 PRC ? Just curious if you do. If you do can you share the data points you have in comparing the two ( beside the brass and factory ammo points you made twice and most would agree on that as i Stated above in a comment) Because if someone is willing to ask on a forum 6.5 Saum vs 6.5 saum improved. Which had nothing to do with a PRC cartridge. I have owned both and i am going back to a Saum. He lookings for real world data not a PRC vs Saum thread.

Careful…you’ll end up on the ignore list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
If it was dead there wouldn't be any support anywhere for it.
That's my take on it as well.

I just looked and first place that popped up has over 6200 pieces of new ADG 6.5 SAUM brass currently available for sale 96.75 per 50cnt box. That's pretty good for a "dead" cartridge. :)

I'm a 6.5PRC fan have one in a CA Ridgeline and it shoots the factory Hornady 143 and 147 ammo extremely well so this isn't a one versus the other deal for me.

Not really sure how anyone could say the 6.5PRC is inherently more accurate than any other cartridge. All things being equal I don't know that any cartridge is inherently more accurate then another. Now, if someone said are less overbore cartridges of the same caliber, like comparing the smaller case capacity 6.5PRC to the larger case capacity 6.5 SAUM, easier to tune or keep in tune then I'd generally agree with that.

That's my take on it as well.

I just looked and first place that popped up has over 6200 pieces of new ADG 6.5 SAUM brass currently available for sale 96.75 per 50cnt box. That's pretty good for a "dead" cartridge. :)

I'm a 6.5PRC fan have one in a CA Ridgeline and it shoots the factory Hornady 143 and 147 ammo extremely well so this isn't a one versus the other deal for me.

Not really sure how anyone could say the 6.5PRC is inherently more accurate than any other cartridge. All things being equal I don't know that any cartridge is inherently more accurate then another. Now, if someone said are less overbore cartridges of the same caliber, like comparing the smaller case capacity 6.5PRC to the larger case capacity 6.5 SAUM, easier to tune or keep in tune then I'd generally agree with that.
Agreed !!

The inherently more accurate statement comes from buying into the marketing hype ( because hornady or a gun writer said so… ) I guess it makes you feel better about yourself and cartridge choice. ( common sense and logic is a rare commodity). Some folk read to “ respond” but not comprehend what there reading ( even when folks agreeing with part of what they said) Having a rifle built right and tuning a good load to said rifle. Is where i get my data from. People don’t realize how the sd and es have a effect at distance. I dont find that in factory ammo ( not saying that theres not a unicorn out there somewhere). I like custom rifles because i wanna milk my system for every bit of performance I can.

I am going back to the 6.5 saum bc is has more to offer as far as available horsepower. Also everyone has to have that one unique cartridge they like. Even if it is considered “ dead “ or maybe because shooting and owning one may ruffle other peoples feathers.

The saum is the parent case for many wildcats.

The the OP. Shoot a regular saum or have it done with a +P throat. I wouldnt improve it unless you like fire forming brass.

Len901

FNG
I just got my 6.5 saum going to try h1000 and n565 with Berger 156s and hornady 147 what’s everybody’s loads with these combos

Attachments

• IMG_7589.jpeg
    IMG_7589.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 31