$600-$900 to spend on a scope for a Bergara B-14 HMR 6.5CM

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at scopes in the $600-$900 range for a new Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5CM
The list of features I am looking for are Second focal plane, 30mm tube, MOA, 50mm objective and a reticle that isn't too busy. I don't shoot PRS matches, and have to work hard to find a place to shoot over 500yds. 100-300yds is available all the time.
The scopes I have on the short list are
1) Leupold VX3i-LRP 6.5-20X50 TMOA
2) Meopta Optika 6 4.5-27X50 BDC
3) Burris Signature HD 5-25X50 E3 MOA
4) Athlon Midas BTR Gen 2 4.5-27X50 AHMR SFP IRMOA

DO you guys have any reccomendations about these scopes? How would you rank them? Likes dislikes of each. I am really leaning towards the Meopta Optika. Am I missing something that I should really be looking at??

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
A little more info. I looked at the Burris and the Leupold LRP but the LRP 8.5-25x50 and it was DARK even at 8.5x. I liked the Burris better, was kinda surprised by that.
I’m also wondering about the Bushnell Forge and Nikon Black X1000. I know they are still out there and available.

Last edited:
I think you're putting to much on zoom power.
I'm shooting constantly to 800 with a fixed 10 swfa

Do some digging on here and you will find the Leupolds get quite a few bad reviews when it comes to tracking consistently.

I think you should look at the Nightforce SHV line.
4-14 is at the top of your price range but is a well proven optic and more then enough to shoot 1k

If you cannot be talked out of high power look for a use 5-25 shv to make it into your price range.

sndmn11

WKR
I think you should look at the Nightforce SHV line.
4-14 is at the top of your price range but is a well proven optic and more then enough to shoot 1k

If you cannot be talked out of high power look for a use 5-25 shv to make it into your price range.

I am over the moon with our two 4-14F1 SHVs and one 3-10 SHV. I think they both represent outstanding lifetime purchases for their respective lanes.

OP other then the LRTS/LRHS or SWFA, the Nightforce SHV should get all of your attention. Keep in mind that all but the 4-14x50 model are second focal plane if that matters to you.

Last edited:
I am over the moon with our two 4-14F1 SHVs and one 3-10 SHV. I think they both represent outstanding lifetime purchases for their respective lanes.

OP other then the LRTS/LRHS or SWFA, the Nightforce SHV should get all of your attention. Keep in mind that all but the 4-14 model are second focal plane if that matters to you.
The 4-14x56 is second focal plane.
The 4-14x50 is first.

KClark

WKR
The list of features I am looking for are Second focal plane, 30mm tube, MOA, 50mm objective and a reticle that isn't too busy. I don't shoot PRS matches, and have to work hard to find a place to shoot over 500yds. 100-300yds is available all the time.
I think you are looking for a Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16x50.

I have the Athlon midas TAC in 4-16. It's an incredible optic in my opinion. The glass is good, not a NF but the tracking has ALWAYS been spotless. My next purchase will hopefully be a Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I was not expecting some of the responses. It has me re-thinking my selections. I figured if magnification was good, then more magnification was more gooder LOL. On our current 6.5 "target" gun there is a Viper HS 4-16x44. It is not very clear at 16X...which had me thinking that a scope that went to 20-25X would be usable at higher magnification even if not at the highest setting.
On the Zeiss is there a reason not to get the 6-24X50 over the 4-16X50 if they can both be had at the same price??
I knew I would get some nightfrce reccomendations. I have never looked at one, will have to check them out.
Has anybody looked at the Meopta Optika 6?

There is some truth to more mag being gooder.
And truth to the middle of the magnification range being more usable.
There is also truth to a hight end optic being usable at the high end of range.

Since you asked about 2nd focal specifically you do know the reticle subtentions are only correct at a specific power. Usually the highest. That is if you are planning on using them for holds.

I also say the Ziess v4 is a super solid option.

Far as between a 4 or 6 x starting power.
Well if your going to hunt with it 6x is doable but is a high power.

Also when I researched the v6 5-30 I found out the reticle subtentions were set at 24x

I figured I'd find it od to have to get off the gun and look at the mag ring vs just cranking it to max.

Just make sure you're researching if the track True and return to zero if you're planning on dialing.

On the Zeiss is there a reason not to get the 6-24X50 over the 4-16X50 if they can both be had at the same price??
I knew I would get some nightfrce reccomendations. I have never looked at one, will have to check them out.
Has anybody looked at the Meopta Optika 6?

Depends on your use. If you're just punching paper and ringing steel, 6-24 would be nice. If it's a hunting rifle the 4x vs 6x on the bottom end is more valuable than 24 vs 16 on the top end IMO. 16x is more than plenty at 500 yards.

Orangehd1

FNG
I recently bought a Zeiss v4.. 4-16x50. Very happy with it. Seems to be a LOT of scope for the money. Especially through the redhawk riffle demo program.

Dobermann

WKR
I think before we can fully answer, apart from the intended use, we have to ask why you think you want SFP and MOA ... not (entirely) because many here would go FFP with MIL, but because if we know the reason for your choice, then this influences the options.

(Oooor could just mean that some of us will try to steer you to SWFA's 3-9 and the Bushnell Elite LRTS 4-18, currently on sale at Cameraland for only $750, which will be entirely adequate for your other requirements: https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...363b-0138-8be7-00163ecd2826?variation=2153237)

I think before we can fully answer, apart from the intended use, we have to ask why you think you want SFP and MOA ... not (entirely) because many here would go FFP with MIL, but because if we know the reason for your choice, then this influences the options.

(Oooor could just mean that some of us will try to steer you to SWFA's 3-9 and the Bushnell Elite LRTS 4-18, currently on sale at Cameraland for only $750, which will be entirely adequate for your other requirements: https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...363b-0138-8be7-00163ecd2826?variation=2153237)
Lol where you gonna get an swfa you got some Chinese mafia connections?

Dobermann

WKR
Lol where you gonna get an swfa you got some Chinese mafia connections?

Ha ... no, but here's a little-known trick: when they're showing as out of stock at SWFA, if you order one on backorder, then it will go out to you once they have a shipment land.

It's not uncommon for *all* of certain models to be wholly sold out beforehand ... so most of us don't even know they ever came back into stock.

Just learnt that recently from a throwaway comment buried in one of Ilya's long and rambling live sessions ... made it feel like the other two hours was nearly worth it! :)

ndayton

WKR
I have a Zeiss V4 6-24 and a Viper HSLR 4-16, both shoot easily to 1000 yards but with out a doubt the Zeiss has better glass.
Personally I feel my 6-24 is over kill for general hunting and plan to replace my Viper with another Zeiss in the same 4-16 power. Definitely check Red Hawk Rifles Demos to save money

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider

That is a good question. My intended use will be shooting from a bench/prone etc at steel or paper that is marked, or hit with a rangefinder. I do not plan on ever hunting with the gun. I do not envision moving from target to target, ranging with the reticle, etc. My mind thinks in MOA not Mils...admittedly I have not spent much time trying to learn mils, but I don't plan to. I did try 2 different FFP scopes and did not like either, it seemed like the reticle was always too small (admittedly that may have been the type of reticle it was). I just plan on sitting down, ranging a target and shooting a few shots at it. I have shot my X-bolt out to 400yds with a vx3i 3.5-10 and I felt like I needed more magnification than the scope provided at that distance (but that may simply be an ignorant statement on my part.

If you shooting paper yes you probably need more magnification.
Most only shoot steel at long range.

Looks like the shv and the v4 are both what I'd say your after. But they are slightly higher then your budget.

Have you found any info on the meo your interested in.

Have you found the big v4 thread and review Jim Carr did on here?