6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Last edited:
So I already have a Remington model 7 243 1-9.125” twist that shoots 95grBT extremely well. But for some reason am thinking very hard about getting a 1-8” Tikka 243. Am I crazy? What would I actually gain? I keep trying to tell myself to just use that money to buy more bullets and components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would try some of the 105s or which ever of the heavier bullets you want and see if your rifle will stabilize them. The boxes for the 105 Amax say the need a 1:9 twist or faster so you might be close enough to make them work with your current rifle. Then if it doesn’t, by all means, buy the new rifle!

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
For a 4 year period my son used a 243 Win along side me on a variety of hunts. He started with Hornady SST reduced recoil ammo. During this period, he shot several TX whitetail including a good sized mature East TX buck. All somewhere between 75 and about 125 yards. The round performed perfectly and exited on broadside shots with adequate wounding. The deer usually ran a short distance. He shot several pigs as well. The smallet pigs dropper. One big sow hit high in chest that did some damage to spine dropped but kicked for a while and got back up and took off. I had him staying on it and ready and a second shot dropped it. This one broke the spine mid body but I was proud he stayed on and made a solid hit on moving animal for finisher. Things don’t always go as planned.

Once little older I loaded 100 sierra pro hunter to 2950 fps. With this load took numerous TX whitetails including multiple mature central TX bucks as well as much larger pan handle bucks. Also took mature mule deer and Antelope bucks and probably something I am forgetting. Longest shot was the mule deer at about 180 yards. Blew it’s heart in half and went about 5 yards. On a panhandle whiterail, which was over 200 lbs, took a quartering frontal shot and busted the shoulder messed up the lungs. Deer made it about 80 yards. In general, I was very impressed with how this load/bullet performed. So nothing long range but inside 200 yards anyway did not leave much to be desired for deer sized animals anyway.

Lou

bhylton

WKR
It’s a great bullet terminally. The issue is the low BC. At 400 or 500 or so yards max, it’s a good choice.
If a person we're only shooting 4-500 yds to begin with, is there even a worth while difference over a standard .223 with proper bullet for deer/elk? Just curious because some of the kill photos here look like a lot of meat loss on closer shots particularly.

If a person we're only shooting 4-500 yds to begin with, is there even a worth while difference over a standard .223 with proper bullet for deer/elk? Just curious because some of the kill photos here look like a lot of meat loss on closer shots particularly.
Less wind deflection for the 6mm over the 223 at 3-500. Both are still doable if you really wanted to in my opinion but for those yardages, especially elk, I would go 6mm out of those two.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I really want a 243 1:8 tikka “for my daughter”, specifically the roughtech with the threaded 20” barrel. Fortunately or not I cannot find one.
I will say, if you get a 20" barrel .243, put a can on it. That was the first setup I hunted with and the muzzle blast was incredible.
So I already have a Remington model 7 243 1-9.125” twist that shoots 95grBT extremely well. But for some reason am thinking very hard about getting a 1-8” Tikka 243. Am I crazy? What would I actually gain? I keep trying to tell myself to just use that money to buy more bullets and components.

A 1-8 will allow you to shoot all but the heaviest bullets. Hornady recommends 1-8 for the 108ELDM and 110ATip. If memory serves, the 115DTAC is 1-7 or 1-7.5.

eric1115

WKR
Less wind deflection for the 6mm over the 223 at 3-500. Both are still doable if you really wanted to in my opinion but for those yardages, especially elk, I would go 6mm out of those two.
Negative, the 77 TMK has a .420 G1, the 95 NBT .379. TMK wins wind performance (by a very small margin).

Edit: at .243 speed vs .223 speed it's pretty much a wash.

Negative, the 77 TMK has a .420 G1, the 95 NBT .379. TMK wins wind performance (by a very small margin).

Edit: at .243 speed vs .223 speed it's pretty much a wash.
At what yardages? I didn’t see where he said 243 so I assumed 6cm with 105 or heavier. But yes they close for short ranges and probably negligible until you start thinking 500-1000

eric1115

WKR
At what yardages? I didn’t see where he said 243 so I assumed 6cm with 105 or heavier. But yes they close for short ranges and probably negligible until you start thinking 500-1000
They were talking specifically about the 95 Nosler BT, which has a quite low BC. I'd guess that past 500 the TMK wins even at .223 speeds.

jazz3ring

WKR
Does anyone have experience with the Winchester 243 95 grain ballistic silver tip factory loading versus the Nosler 90 grain ballistic tip factory loading?

Is there any terminal effect difference between those two bullets or expansion/penetration differences?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Does anyone have experience with the Winchester 243 95 grain ballistic silver tip factory loading versus the Nosler 90 grain ballistic tip factory loading?

Is there any terminal effect difference between those two bullets or expansion/penetration differences?

The 95gr NBT is slightly better in width of wound and depth. Though it is slight and will take a lot of animals to tease it out.

bhylton

WKR
They were talking specifically about the 95 Nosler BT, which has a quite low BC. I'd guess that past 500 the TMK wins even at .223 speeds.
My question was in context of the 95 nbt. Reason being I've never shot an animal past about 450yds., and honestly don't currently have the ability to shoot over that.
So if my shots on deer and elk are 95% under 300yds, is there any reason a person should go with say a 243 instead of a 223? The wounds look almost excessive at closer range with the 6mm stuff is why I ask... If I was shooting past 450 often, I would go for a 6mm 105+class bullet I think but that not my current reality.
I've read both the 223 and 6mm thread in their entirety.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
My question was in context of the 95 nbt. Reason being I've never shot an animal past about 450yds., and honestly don't currently have the ability to shoot over that.
So if my shots on deer and elk are 95% under 300yds, is there any reason a person should go with say a 243 instead of a 223? The wounds look almost excessive at closer range with the 6mm stuff is why I ask... If I was shooting past 450 often, I would go for a 6mm 105+class bullet I think but that not my current reality.
I've read both the 223 and 6mm thread in their entirety.

This is a great question and exactly the mental masturbation I’ve been doing. At this point think the only way I will convince myself is personal field data. So far I’m at 4 deer between 200-300 yards and no drama with the 223 77gr TMK

Tartan

WKR
124 yards. Factory 108 eldm. 140lb sow. Clipped the front of the scapula. No exit. Entrance is that spot of blood on the shoulder Already had a cooler full of venison so I only took the hams and backstraps. no autopsy pics.

Dropped right there, expired within 10s

IMG_8578.jpeg