7-08 for Elk

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
My son turns 12 a couple of months before elk season so he gets to hunt in Colorado's general season! First time for him for big game hunting. He's been shooting rabbits (and cleaning/eating them) on grandpa's farm for a few years now and has been on several hunts with me. But I'm just getting him started on bigger rifles. He can handle the 7mm08 - found a great deal on a kimber hunter in 7-08 a couple of years ago - not his gun (yet) but that's what he'll be using. Wish I had got to start out hunting and shooting a gun like that :)! Anyways - thoughts/feedback on factory options for the 7-08 and elk. We plan on being close if he gets a chance and will most likely be going for a cow. Needless to say he's excited - and I'm a proud dad. Had always hoped he'd want to hunt with me and (at least for the time being) he does. Actually we're taking grandpa with us too - he's coming down from MN. And we're spending a week in elk camp with good friends of mine. Its going to be a really special time - regardless of how successful we are with harvesting an animal (or 3). Grandpa's 75 and going strong - but there won't always be opportunities like this. Man I'm pumped! Happy Easter!

My wife has killed a couple with the 139gr Hornady Superformance SST. I have killed one small bull with 140gr Federal Barnes Vital Shock, I believe it was called. None went more than 20 yds.

Mosby

WKR
I would use ammo with good bullets and you should be fine. I have an ultra light 7-08 that I am putting a new scope on for elk hunting. There are times I don't need my mag. I reload and plan on using either Barnes TSX or Nosler Partitions in it. I knew a guide that killed a ton of elk with a 243. He simply waited for good broadside shots at reasonable distances. Do the same with the 7-08 and it should be fine.

slvrslngr

WKR
My nephew, who is 16, has killed 3 mule deer bucks and 2 elk, one bull and one big cow with his Browning 7-08. He shoots the Hornady Whitetail Hunter 139 gr Interlock ammo. Hasn’t caught a bullet yet. Keep the shot distance reasonable and he’ll put meat in the freezer.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
My nephew, who is 16, has killed 3 mule deer bucks and 2 elk, one bull and one big cow with his Browning 7-08. He shoots the Hornady Whitetail Hunter 139 gr Interlock ammo. Hasn’t caught a bullet yet. Keep the shot distance reasonable and he’ll put meat in the freezer.

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I would use ammo with good bullets and you should be fine. I have an ultra light 7-08 that I am putting a new scope on for elk hunting. There are times I don't need my mag. I reload and plan on using either Barnes TSX or Nosler Partitions in it. I knew a guide that killed a ton of elk with a 243. He simply waited for good broadside shots at reasonable distances. Do the same with the 7-08 and it should be fine.
What powders are you considering? I reload as well but haven't yet on 7-08

Vaultman

WKR
I normally use IMR 4064 or Reloader 15 powders in my 7-08.
I use RL 15 as well in the 7-08. I worked up an elk load for my Mrs., a few years back and now my 12 year old son is shooting it to get prepped for our hunt this fall. Not sure if we will draw deer or elk this year but either way we ARE going.

Mahonser sounds like we are on the same plan this year. It is more than any man could possibly ask to have their son be interested in the same things as them, especially without parental pressure. Best of luck to you and your son!

WKR
I reload using RL17 and 140 accubonds for my wife's 7mm-08. I wouldnt hesitate to take it elk hunting. Havent had the opportunity yet but it works wonders on deer.

What powders are you considering? I reload as well but haven't yet on 7-08
The 7mm-08 is super easy to reload for. Like it's chubby brother the .308, it likes a lot of powders. You'll get a ton of answers for everyone's favorite 7mm-08 powder, and none of them will be wrong. If you already reload, it's likely you have a powder now, that will work great for the 7mm-08, particularly in the 140-class bullets.

I've tried about 7 powders now, but found IMR 8208 XBR to be the best for me under the 162-grain ELD-X I like to use in my elk rifle. It' gives me 2680 fps. and superb accuracy.

H4350 or Varget or RL 15/16 or 4046 or quite a few others work great for the 140's (so does the 8208).

Axlrod

WKR
get 2 sets of the electronic ear muffs, 1 for you , and 1 for your son.
You will be able to "quietly" communicate with him. They have helped me a lot with my son and other youngsters I have taken elk hunting.
7-08 is a very good choice.

ElkNut1

WKR
The 7mm-08 is a great little rifle for the youth! My Son picked up one for his boy; Trey, he's 10 years old in the photos. We were on an OTC Mule Deer hunt & he connected on this muley at 230 yards, one shot kill. We layed the pack on the ground & Trey settled in while prone on the ground for an uphill shot. We're taking him elk hunting this year with the 7mm-08 as well. I believe he's also shooting the Superformance bullets.

I do know my Son had picked up several boxes of the deccelerated shells (less powder & kick) for practice. On the hunt he used the regular ones & didn't know the difference! (grin)

ElkNut/Paulthumb_IMG_0144_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0149_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_0805_1024.jpg

nphunter

WKR
Great choice for a youth and plenty for elk. I actually have a 6.5 creedmor for my boys 9 & 12 for deer and elk. I hunted with a .243 as a kid and killed a dozen elk with that rifle, my mom has always hunted with a .243.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
IMHO it's one of it not the best youth calibers. Before my son was old/strong enough to archery hunt he took 2 good bulls and a good buck with his. 140GR Accubonds. I loved the gun so much I sold his youth model and just bought a new Tikka 7-08 for a CO deer hunt this fall

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I use RL 15 as well in the 7-08. I worked up an elk load for my Mrs., a few years back and now my 12 year old son is shooting it to get prepped for our hunt this fall. Not sure if we will draw deer or elk this year but either way we ARE going.

Mahonser sounds like we are on the same plan this year. It is more than any man could possibly ask to have their son be interested in the same things as them, especially without parental pressure. Best of luck to you and your son!
Amen to that! Good luck this year as well!

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
get 2 sets of the electronic ear muffs, 1 for you , and 1 for your son.
You will be able to "quietly" communicate with him. They have helped me a lot with my son and other youngsters I have taken elk hunting.
7-08 is a very good choice.
That's a good idea

OP
M

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
The 7mm-08 is a great little rifle for the youth! My Son picked up one for his boy; Trey, he's 10 years old in the photos. We were on an OTC Mule Deer hunt & he connected on this muley at 230 yards, one shot kill. We layed the pack on the ground & Trey settled in while prone on the ground for an uphill shot. We're taking him elk hunting this year with the 7mm-08 as well. I believe he's also shooting the Superformance bullets.

I do know my Son had picked up several boxes of the deccelerated shells (less powder & kick) for practice. On the hunt he used the regular ones & didn't know the difference! (grin)

ElkNut/PaulView attachment 97014View attachment 97015View attachment 97016
I was thinking of doing the same - which low recoil did he use? I was a little worried with a change of point of impact