7-300 Norma Mag Improved

Article 4

WKR
Jamming the lands. I seat the bullets pretty long and just allow them to seat into the case wherever they come a stop while chambering. Works pretty well. All shoulders were within .001 after forming.

Well just to make things clear, a 28 Nosler is plenty and this is totally unnecessary lol. BUT my reasoning for it is:

#1 Lapua Brass

#2 I was hoping it’d outperform a 28N with Hogdon powders, and lower pressures. Low pressures normally lead to more consistent performance and better accuracy.

It looks like a modest charge of Retumbo in this, will out perform a MAX charge of N570 in a 28N.
Agree, i looked at 28N before building this...case capacity is a key when running overbore magnums and the ratio between bullet a powder should be balanced without causing undue pressure as @huntnful stated.

Also in my experience in most standard length mags, the 300 case allows for more optimal bullet seating allowing more efficient use of a bit more powder at the big bullet weights. Better Ogive to Lands length while maintaining case capacity and not running into compressed load with pressure signs.

I made mine to run the 195 exclusively and the 28N will run it, sure. But the 7-300 NMi runs it better.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Happy with the performance of this cartridge. Going to get the smaller 8.5 twist #5 benchmark chambered in it now, and use the Brux for fire forming.
IMG_1979.jpeg

I know this is all so totally unnecessary. But it is fun for me to test shit, and share the info for others that might be interested. Helps keep my sanity during these slower hunting months.

This new barrel is hopefully only going to see H1000 and 180 ELDM’s.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Steve never disappoints. Once again, another sick gun shooting small groups!
Hahaha thanks man. Just something fun and more of a reason to get out and shoot!

Small groups definitely don’t kill animals, but they’re nice to see when first shooting a rifle!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
New barrel is already on the action.

IMG_2049.jpeg Barrels are chambered as close to each as possible. I’ll be forming brass in the Brux, and then only shooting formed brass and H1000 in the new benchmark barrel. Just going to see whatever bullet likes H1000 the most. Starting with 180 ELDM then maybe 190 LRHT is need be.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
An update with the shorter smaller profile benchmark.

IMG_2131.jpeg

At 9.7lbs, recoil does land me about 2 Mils away from the target after the shot though. I can still see the impacts pretty easily though since I was only on 15X. A little weight sure wouldn't hurt and I’ll probably put a heavier barrel on it before hunting season. But we definitely got options now lol. A hair over .1 mil low. Which puts me at a trued BC for the 180 ELDM at .38 G7

180 ELDM
23.5” barrel
83.5gr. H1000
CCI 250
3110 FPS

Happy with the performance of this cartridge. Going to get the smaller 8.5 twist #5 benchmark chambered in it now, and use the Brux for fire forming.
View attachment 681209

I know this is all so totally unnecessary. But it is fun for me to test shit, and share the info for others that might be interested. Helps keep my sanity during these slower hunting months.

This new barrel is hopefully only going to see H1000 and 180 ELDM’s.
Someone has to test everything out. At least that’s my excuse 😂 Way too many people give advice when they’ve ever only tried one thing.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Someone has to test everything out. At least that’s my excuse 😂 Way too many people give advice when they’ve ever only tried one thing.
I couldn’t agree more man. I don’t really like theorizing. I want to know things first hand. And I try to only give first hand experiences as information.

"Guys, guys, seriously...hear me out! Think about it... it'd be a 416 Rigby, but necked down to 7mm."

I absolutely love this project man - very cool cartridge, and eye-popping performance out of that rifle. If you don't mind me asking, where do you even start with getting a custom reamer made, and how much could someone expect to pay for that process?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
"Guys, guys, seriously...hear me out! Think about it... it'd be a 416 Rigby, but necked down to 7mm."

I absolutely love this project man - very cool cartridge, and eye-popping performance out of that rifle. If you don't mind me asking, where do you even start with getting a custom reamer made, and how much could someone expect to pay for that process?
Thanks man! JGS reamers will cut you anything you can dream up lol. They are also super helpful! In this specific case, I’d already had several of the Alex Wheeler 300 Norma Improved chambers done. So basically just called them, and them asked for the same case body specs, but with a neck for 7mm bullets.

Then I just used my same sizing and seating die, but just changes the neck bushings out on the sizing die.

what are you using for that video?

Curious what terminal performance looked like, was there an exit? Almost got a two-fer there.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
what are you using for that video?

Curious what terminal performance looked like, was there an exit? Almost got a two-fer there.
It’s a scope mounted camera called Triggercam 2.1. Pretty cool little device really.

Entrance on the right, exit on the left
IMG_2184.jpeg
Entrance
IMG_2186.jpeg
Lungs
IMG_2188.jpeg