Are barnes ttsx any good on deer.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I load 55 Ttsx in 223 for my son. He has shot 2 deer with them at 120 and 80 yds and had pass throughs on both with nickel size exits. Excellent results even in that small caliber.
awesome how good is weight retention if you caught the bullets

Ken_L

FNG
I load 55 Ttsx in 223 for my son. He has shot 2 deer with them at 120 and 80 yds and had pass throughs on both with nickel size exits. Excellent results even in that small caliber.
This is really good to hear. I am going to load the 62 grain TTSX in my 223 and I am hoping for the same results. Where we hunt it's pretty much 100 yards or less for the most part.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting my 7mm-08 with 140gr ttsx for a bunch of years now. Killed whitetail, mule, blacktail deer, black bears and elk with it at ranges from 8 to just over 300 yards. I also shoot heart/lungs and get the same results. Full pass through,excellent wound channel. Usually a short death run and they drop. The only oddity is black bears. They all seem to drop on the spot (again heart/lung shots) "no complaints here".

My buddies daughter has done the same with the 7mm-08 low recoil loads with 120gr TTSX.

OP, a guy I work with shoots TTSX's from his 300 ( not sure what powder/load he went with). I know he's taken whitetail's a moose and a black bear with the same load (I never heard him say anything negative about any of them). He did recover a bullet from the moose from the offside shoulder and it was pretty impressive.

That said, IMO your 300WM with ttsx will work on pretty much any north american big game animal with allot more reach than I'm limited to with the 7mm-08
thank you i like the 7mm08 but i have never owned one.thank you

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you have the bullet. Post a picture so we can see, the verbal description is hard to gauge what actually happened.

If you mean it shed a couple petals, that is normal at close range. Down in 30 yards from a mid-body shot, sounds like it performed fabulously.

Regardless, the op asked about a 300wby mag on deer. Imo thats massively overkill, so if a more reasonably sized deer cartridge isnt an option I would be using a mono like a ttsx with that cartridge for certain in order to minimize the damage to the deer.
the reason i use such a big gun is ecause with a 243 win on two deer i found three drops of blood thats all i found the scond one was no blood and the rifle was a christmas gift from my parent and i had good luck with it with the accubonds so i am gonna stick with it i am thinking about getting a 308 win 270 win or 7mm08 rem for deer i just stuck with that big rifle i kinda think its verkill to but it does the job only lost the entrance side shoulder on one of them not he other three. thank you and god bless.

199p

FNG
In all my years i have been hunting 3 out of 4 unrecovered deer were from the ttsx,
They were quite the rage down here in nz for a short while.
I personally never used them but spent many hours tracking a wounded deer, The ones the ones we did recover had very small wound channels, good for meat recovery but not when 3 / 10ish got away.
Think he was 130grn from a kimber 308

Killed a couple dozen deer with Barnes, and a few with Hammers. Personal preference. They penetrate well but you won't get the giant holes that you will get with lead bullets. That said you dont really have to worry about a shot being too close. I generally shoot light for caliber bullets when using copper monos. They seem to perform a little better with the extra speed. Make sure your barrel has the correct twist rate for them as well.

roymunson

WKR
I've killed:
7RM- 150 gr TTSX
Antelope @ 200 yards- DRT
Mule Deer @ 370- broke the front shoulders and ended up putting 1 more in him when I got up to him

300 WSM- 180 gr TTSX-
58" Alaska Bull Moose @ 300 yards- he dropped, but I spined him so not a great data point. He tried to get up when we got up to him, so 1 more round finished it off.

Bullets went straight thru the antelope and mule deer, nothing to recover. Not a blowout of expansion, but I was pretty pumped when I killed them, so I didn't do a full necropsy.

The moose I ruined a tenderloin.