Are barnes ttsx any good on deer.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
are barnes ttsx any good on deer i have hunted with the accubonds and killed three deer this year all at 100 yards shooting 180 gr accubonds out of my 300 weatherby mag. and they put a big hole all the way thru and the first one dropped instantly the second one run about a sixty yards. the third one run 20 yards. they discontunied loading the weatherby brand ammo with accubonds the closest thing with velocity and energy are the ttsx. are they any good

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
5 whitetail deer a year for 5 years with 150 gr TTSX from a .308. 2 ran maybe 40 yards dripping blood all the way. All recovered. Very little lost meat.

KurtR

WKR
are barnes ttsx any good on deer i have hunted with the accubonds and killed three deer this year all at 100 yards shooting 180 gr accubonds out of my 300 weatherby mag. and they put a big hole all the way thru and the first one dropped instantly the second one run about a sixty yards. the third one run 20 yards. they discontunied loading the weatherby brand ammo with accubonds the closest thing with velocity and energy are the ttsx. are they any good
yes they are good.

sndmn11

WKR
Those should work just fine. You will probably want to stay inside 500 yards to see bigger-than-caliber expansion.

SloppyJ

WKR
130's from a 308 at 3000+ fps hits like a lightening bolt. Havent had one take a step yet.
Been thinking about these TTSX in lighter weights for deer. 130s in my .308 and 120s in my 280ai. You like them that much? I tried out some Berger classic hunters in my .308 this weekend and that was probably the nastiest internal mess I've ever seen. A little too nasty. I have some 150s loaded up and shooting well out of my .308 I am going to try next. I've been doing a lot of bullet testing this year.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, keep velocity minimums in mind with them though! They might state 1800fps minimum for a given bullet and yes it has opened up but not fully, if you keep impacts at 2100-2200 minimum I expect you'll be quite pleased with the results.

sdupontjr

WKR
130 ttsx, 49g varget, CCI-200, R-P Brass, seated at 2.825" Coal

I head shoot does at 100 yards so I dont mess up any meat. My Tikka T3 loves these. Outside 100, ro make sure, put it right behind shoulder. Lights out. 20230719_144828.jpg20221103_135320.jpg

SloppyJ

WKR
This 130gr has my attention but I bet the 120s out of the 280ai would be screaming. Thanks for the info guys.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
This 130gr has my attention but I bet the 120s out of the 280ai would be screaming. Thanks for the info guys.
They would be! I shoot the 120s in a 7mm-08 and 168s in my 280. I bet the 145 LRX would be good in the 280 if you're after more speed. Even the 139s would be good if you really want to step on it.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Likely needlessly fast initially and lost velocity due to lower BC down range. I run the 145LRX in my 280AI (it was before the 139 came out, I'd try for the 139s if starting over today) and MV is 3130 which hammers things just fine. Frankly after ~50yds you're likely carrying less energy with the 120 and around 500yds you'll have less velocity most likely as well. Prior to 500yds all options will have plenty of velocity so frankly I don't see why one would want to shoot the 120s in a larger cartridge.

SloppyJ

WKR
Likely needlessly fast initially and lost velocity due to lower BC down range. I run the 145LRX in my 280AI (it was before the 139 came out, I'd try for the 139s if starting over today) and MV is 3130 which hammers things just fine. Frankly after ~50yds you're likely carrying less energy with the 120 and around 500yds you'll have less velocity most likely as well. Prior to 500yds all options will have plenty of velocity so frankly I don't see why one would want to shoot the 120s in a larger cartridge.
This would not be for a typical long range application. I would use these for whitetail at 150yds and in. Most of them will be more on the "in" category of 50 yards and closer where the BC wouldn't matter. I'm going to dive into the Hammers as well and see what I can find.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
This would not be for a typical long range application. I would use these for whitetail at 150yds and in. Most of them will be more on the "in" category of 50 yards and closer where the BC wouldn't matter. I'm going to dive into the Hammers as well and see what I can find.
For what's worth, stepped on a 120 Hammer Hunter in 7mm-08 this fall and it did incredible damage to the lungs and broke ribs coming and going of a blacktail buck at 160. Worked as advertised for sure.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sure, but I guess what I was saying is the 145LRX for instance at 3130fps is already moving damn fast and crumples things / punches through easily at close range, not sure why you'd want a 120gr going even faster unless you had COAL restrictions in your firearm? I've shot dozens of animals with my 280AI and the 145LRX and I can't think of situation I'd want the 120 if my gun fit the 139/145LRX and shot them well/fast. What's your goal?
At a certain speed the barnes will have full expansion (not just minimum expansion) and push a ton of hydrostatic shock as well. I don't know that speed but with both bullets going over 3000fps you're well into that zone and it doesn't seem like there is anything to be gained pushing the lighter bullet faster in that situation. Or am I missing something?

SloppyJ

WKR
Sure, but I guess what I was saying is the 145LRX for instance at 3130fps is already moving damn fast and crumples things / punches through easily at close range, not sure why you'd want a 120gr going even faster unless you had COAL restrictions in your firearm? I've shot dozens of animals with my 280AI and the 145LRX and I can't think of situation I'd want the 120 if my gun fit the 139/145LRX and shot them well/fast. What's your goal?
At a certain speed the barnes will have full expansion (not just minimum expansion) and push a ton of hydrostatic shock as well. I don't know that speed but with both bullets going over 3000fps you're well into that zone and it doesn't seem like there is anything to be gained pushing the lighter bullet faster in that situation. Or am I missing something?
I guess I can't get away from the more is better approach. Been researching high velocity monos and figured if I was going to start anywhere it'd be at the upper end of the velocity spectrum and go from there. Stepping down 40gr from my normal 160gr partition seemed like the place to go. Going to a 145 from my 160s doesn't really blow my skirt up. I'm shooting a 22" barrel so I'll lose a little compared to you most likely anyway. It's all based on my curiosity.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I guess I can't get away from the more is better approach. Been researching high velocity monos and figured if I was going to start anywhere it'd be at the upper end of the velocity spectrum and go from there. Stepping down 40gr from my normal 160gr partition seemed like the place to go. Going to a 145 from my 160s doesn't really blow my skirt up. I'm shooting a 22" barrel so I'll lose a little compared to you most likely anyway. It's all based on my curiosity.
Gotcha, well load what makes ya happy. They’re all gonna hit hard at close range. :) I was just bringing up the practicality if shooting farther that the slightly larger ones pencil out better in this situation but that doesn’t sound like it matters in your case.