7mm Rem Mag bullet for Elk

EdP

WKR
Recoil in a 7prc and a 7mm Rem Mag with the same weight bullet and same weight rifle is negligible.

I think the poster meant the difference in recoil is negligible, although the recoil is not bad it is not insignificant.

Personally, I would have gone with the 7PRC, the modern non-belted version of the 7 RM. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with the 7 RM, especially with the 1:9 twist.

sdupontjr

WKR
Similar situation, but mine is 24" 9.5 twist . I have worked up some loads and have the 162 eld-match dialed in to shoot less than .5 moa at 100, but haven't taken any game with them yet. Read tons of threads claiming that they are basically the older A-max. I considered looking into the 168 vlds but wasn't sure if my twist rate could stabalize them. Actually the 162's is the heaviest I've shot in the rifle in 30 years but seems to like them. But I too have a possible elk hunt lined up later in year but want to get my stuff ready.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 162 ELDX’s and 168 VLD’s in mine with a 1:9 twist. Berger’s website says that the 180 VLD’s will be marginally stable where I live but just fine out west, but I haven’t messed with them. Yet.

AT79

FNG
My 7mm RM loves the 150gr eldx. Taken many of deer and elk cow/spike. That being said, I do think it’s a bit on the smaller side for bulls. 300 is now my go to for that. Terminal performance for the eldx has been good for me. Not a huge weight recovery, but man does it cavitate! I have not lost any game I’ve attempted to take with it. For my rifle, it really does like the 150 eldx / hodgdon 4831. Recoil is not crazy, but there are obviously a lot of variables that go into that such as rifle weight, position, muzzle break, etc.

Dsellen14

FNG
My thoughts are out to 600 pick the most precise load you develop with 150-175 gr range. Most of the bulls/cows I’ve shot have been with 150 accubonds or partitions or 160 of the same variety. I can get the 168 ABLR to group well too. I have been experimenting with the 162 SST and 160 Ballistic Tip and those seem tougher bullets than perhaps others bore sizes in the same product line. In fact the 160 BT has a real thick jacket and think was designed for the 28 Nosler which means it’s a thicker cup and would retain its weight. Probably very close to the accubond equivalent.

I’ve got a 1:9.25 and a 1:9.5 twist though so topped out with my experimentation at 175 flat base cup and cores.

Dsellen14

FNG
I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the bullets mentioned in this thread. Go with whatever your barrel likes.

I've killed all my elk with 162 gr SST's until I started handloading 154's. Dropped a mature 6x6 DRT with a 154 gr SST. I use the same load for deer and elk out of my 7RM and haven't lost an animal.

I’m impressed with the 154 SST too. Though deer is not an elk I’ve had several friends shoot deer head on in the chest and penetrate fully to the hindquarters on 3 instances that they’ve taken that shot. Running a mild load with muzzle velocity at 3008 from those 7 mags.

Blinddog

Lil-Rokslider
ran though most 160-180s through my Abolt 7mm, it loved the 160 nosler partitions and accubonds best, have taken several elk with the load. running RL26 powder. Have found no reason to change since. Thank god I have enough RL26 for a couple hundred more rounds.

Blackbird

FNG
I have seen nothing but utter devastation from 7mm Berger hybrids on multiple elk and deer. 10/10 would recommend.