7mm STW build in progress... Budget LR Hunting Rifle Phase I

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would definitely have sent more down-range if I would have had time - I'll head out and try to repeat ASAP. The other reason 2-shots made sense is because I couldn't quite make out the holes in the target and I wouldn't have known which shot was which if I had shot more. Figured with only 2 holes it didn't really matter. Meanwhile, she's close enough to go hunt this weekend. I would like to shoot it over a chrono or shoot 400 or 500 yards so I would be a bit more confident in my drops.

I would definitely have sent more down-range if I would have had time - I'll head out and try to repeat ASAP. The other reason 2-shots made sense is because I couldn't quite make out the holes in the target and I wouldn't have known which shot was which if I had shot more. Figured with only 2 holes it didn't really matter. Meanwhile, she's close enough to go hunt this weekend. I would like to shoot it over a chrono or shoot 400 or 500 yards so I would be a bit more confident in my drops.

Confirming dope at 400-600 is great, but you can get it done at 300. Especially if you're shooting that good! ;) just have it zero'd at 100 instead of 200. You'll get a better idea of velocity by clicking up say 9 clicks for 300 (my dope) from 100 yard zero rather than clicking up only 3 clicks from a 200 yard zero (again my dope, and I shoot mils so you'll be a bit more obviously shooting minutes).

Having fun though aren't you? ;)

Mike

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome thread Darin, and looks like the process is going well!

Mike, when are you going to get Ryan on the MIL train?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are quite a few Vandal alumni roaming the valley. We're outnumbered 10:1 by the bandwagon Boise State fans, but for actual alumni only about 3 to 1 I would guess. We're not that hard to spot though... We're usually the ones that sign their paychecks... BSU alumni might know us better as "boss". :)

Man, you're killin me! As the other saying goes---"how do you keep a Vandal out of your front yard? Put up a goalpost."
Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice looking rifle and the shooting looks like it is going well. I've got a Bell and Carlson on a 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver.

Randy

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How did it go?
It went really well... I would post pics, but can't seem to upload right now and my [ENTER] key does not respond when I am replying to threads... (weird). Anyway, the wind was a bit tricky, but I set a target at exactly 500 yards but I was shooting across a canyon near the top of a saddle. I had wind blowing one way from the shooting location and another at the target. I shot two and found one of them in my spotter just of the edge of the bull at 9-O'clock. I shot one more and couldn't see it on target. Wind got worse so I shot another giving it 2 MOA of windage. Went down to inspect the target and found I had one in the red bullseye about 1/2" off the cross, and the other one I could see, one-inch left. Pretty awesome... I did shoot four shots though - LOL! Two of them were off the paper, two of them as good as you could ever hope for at 500 yards. I caught a couple of lulls in the wind which probably was my first two shots. The paper is only +/- 1 MOA wide at 500 yards so I don't feel too bad. A full value 10 MPH wind moves my bullet 2.5 MOA at that range My ballistic software predicted correctly and I guessed the velocity close enough. Extremely pleased so far with the way this rifle is shooting. I will edit this post with a picture of the target when I can upload again. Took the rifle for a LONG walk this weekend hoping to find a wolf or yote to test out the 160 grain accubonds, but no luck...

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man, you're killin me! As the other saying goes---"how do you keep a Vandal out of your front yard? Put up a goalpost."
Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice looking rifle and the shooting looks like it is going well. I've got a Bell and Carlson on a 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver.

Randy
Wouldn't be much of a rivalry without some good smack talk now would it! All in good fun man - I root for the Broncos, god knows a guy would be way too depressed if all he had was Vandal football these days. Coop

Man Darin, don't know how I feel about a fellow vandal alumni rooting for a BSU team... :-/ I think if you were more committed you would've had all 4 shots on paper! ;)

Mike

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man Darin, don't know how I feel about a fellow vandal alumni rooting for a BSU team... :-/ I think if you were more committed you would've had all 4 shots on paper! ;)

Mike
You may be right... I attribute all the wind around here to the hot air from all the BSU fans! I root for them, but secretly enjoy every missed field goal attempt that brings them back to reality...

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wouldn't be much of a rivalry without some good smack talk now would it! All in good fun man - I root for the Broncos, god knows a guy would be way too depressed if all he had was Vandal football these days. Coop

Yup, all in good fun. They are fun to watch though.

Randy

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Allright - enough hijacking my thread to bash BSU!

HC - you are definitely building my next rifle! I will use it to hunt in I - D - A - H - O, Idaho, Idaho, GO - GO - GO!

Sorry, that's just the "Joe" in me coming out...
attachment.php

BTW, Got things working well in computer-land again - I just had to click the compatibility view icon next to the web address & things are back to working good.

Here's the 500 yard target - two shots off paper, but two were money $$. Pretty confident the range dope is going to work good on out to at least 700. Wind... well obviously that's going to require more practice!
attachment.php

Coop

Last edited:
OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Check now... Not sure what the issue is. I reloaded the images. Let me know if you can see them now.

Here's a shot from the long hike this weekend - Took the new rifle on it's maiden wolf hunt, but didn't find anything to shoot at.

attachment.php

I started way down in the bottom where the middle ridge falls off on the right... Great day!

Coop

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Two more shots from the weekend...

Kennetrek's getting a breather...
attachment.php

An elk-herd I sat above and watched for an hour or so. I felt like an armed guard. Bring it on wolves!
attachment.php

Coop