$80 850 fill down puffy!

WMag338

WKR
I have run this puffy for the last year. Been extremely pleased. A few light layers underneath and a shell on top - you’ll be good to go in all but the coldest temps. I was literally sweating in this setup lion hunting in 0°F on a snowmobile running 15mph.

three5x5s

WKR
Anyone have one of these in Medium. Thier size chart says a Small is 34-36. Medium is a 36-37 and Large is 37-41. Im 5ft 4 135lbs with a 36.5 chest. I want the down hoody to go over a SS Tee, Kuiu 97 and Kuiu 240 (all in a Kuiu Medium). Not sure if I need the Medium or the large. If I go with the Large I'm afraid the body and sleeves will get to long.

Voyageur

WKR
I will add my hands on experience with Decathlon to this thread...
I am 5' 10.5" tall, have a 42" chest, and weigh 175#. I wear a size L in 99.9% of the jackets/shirts that I own; Carhartt, Sitka, Kuiu, Patagonia, Origin, etc.
After emailing with Decathlon customer service the rep agreed with me that a size XL "should" fit, so I ordered both the 100 synthetic jacket and the 500 down jacket in size XL. When they arrived both were too snug across the chest.
Exchanging them (postage free) was a simple process and a size 2XL fits me perfect in each jacket.
What I found confusing about the Decathlon sizing was not only do their sizes run small compared to the same US sizes, but they also run smaller than the measurements they have listed on their own size charts. To reiterate, this is my take-away, based off my experience only.
As far as the jackets themselves, based solely off a look over in the house, I'm happy with them and looking forward to seeing how they do in everyday use.
Hope this can help someone.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Added sizing reference: 6’2” 195lbs and 2XL fits perfect for wearing over hiking layers and bino harness.

I stumbled upon the Decathlon Forclaz Trek 100 down puffy the other day thanks to an ultralight hiking group (full writeup here). Just got mine in the mail and was so impressed with the quality/value I had to share it here. Decathlon is apparently the largest European sporting goods company in the EU and just now getting into the US market.

Some key specs of the jacket are below. Keep in mind their sizing is European, so go up 1 size. I snagged an XL that fits just as well as all my large outerwear. I test fit a base layer and Patagonia R1 under it just fine. Hem also has a cinch to allow it to be taken in when wearing just a single layer underneath. The dark ivy green is a really nice muted color for hunting.

• 4.1 oz of 850 Down Fill (US Standard)
  • 10.83oz
  • 38% of weight is down
  • 15D Polyamide - Water resistant
  • 85% Grey duck down / 15% Grey duck feather
  • Stuffs into hand pocket

For $80 I'm incredibly impressed with this piece and highly suggest anyone else in the market for a puffy check it out. Stitching is very clean and no feathers/down are poking through. I appreciate that the baffles extend past the elastic wrist cuff to help mitigate cold spots when wearing gloves/mittens.

View attachment 304678
*Disclaimer: My hair is probably not as nice as this model, so I did everyone a favor by using stock pictures.
Man. I’m jealous, I wish I could use down. Stupid allergies. That’s so much lighter than my synthetic… and likely warmer.

Running a puffer like this under a waterproof shell let me shoot in -13 degree weather this winter. The fingers where the real problem 🤔

mh1

FNG
So I'm trying to decide if I should get one of these Forclaz or an Outdoor Research Coldfront down hoodie (700 fill down)? I want something for glassing. I already have a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket but I don't think it will be warm enough for sitting. Any thoughts?

Seeknelk

WKR
How cold of temps do you want to remain stationary in? This isn't a super warm puffy.but perfect for much of the year.

mh1

FNG
I'm planning for early to mid October in western WY so the temps can be all over place. I'd also like it for Dec deer hunts in Iowa

Does this jacket run one or two sizes small? I have seen some people say they normally wear a L but got an XL and it was smallish. I normally wear a 2xl but some stuff is 3xl like Kuiu and Sitka. Is a 3 xl going to be big enough?

xcutter

WKR
I wear 2XL in Kuiu and Sitka. Kuiu is tighter but still fits.

3XL fits me in this puffy and has plenty of room to layer underneath. My Dad has a 2XL and it fits as well but is tight with any layer underneath.

Skybuster

FNG
I ordered the Trek in Down and synthetic.
Both in L.

The Down fit much better on the athletic side.
The Synthetic is much more tighter specially around the waist I was able to zip it but I can feel the tightness.

So I ordered a synthetic in XL to see how it fit. Should be here this week or next Monday.

Short time I had them I feel the synthetic is warmer. Just standing outside at 62F. Wind around 12mph. So it was not super cold but that what I get this time of year.

I also feel the synthetic is more wind resistant by the blow air test. It seem they use a different outer fabric.

Of course the synthetic is a few oz heavier. Don’t recall the exact weight for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk