9MM ammo for bears defense?

Beendare

WKR
I am actually thinking of selling my G20 in favor of using one of my 9MMs , most likely my FN 9C, maybe use the proceeds on a bear tag ...

I wouldn't do it.

Sure the hardcast ammo makes a difference. But there is also a big difference between a Brown bear and a blackie.

Personally I'm in the 9mm camp in Black bear areas- MP Shield, 9mm Buffalo bore ammo- but in Grizz areas I want that 10mm or larger.

HookUp

WKR
I wouldn't do it.

Sure the hardcast ammo makes a difference. But there is also a big difference between a Brown bear and a blackie.

Personally I'm in the 9mm camp in Black bear areas- MP Shield, 9mm Buffalo bore ammo- but in Grizz areas I want that 10mm or larger.

I'm in the same boat. No grizzlies in my area I feel comfortable with a 9mm loaded with Buffalo bullets.

Bowfisher

FNG
I feel a 9mm is fine. Better and consistent practice, will be a bigger contributer to a successful outcome than jumpiong up a caliber.

John.m.a

FNG
I just had a encounter with a very large black bear. I had my 9mm with FMJ. Not the best round. I felt comfortable with this setup. When this encounter with a 500lb black bear turned to a face to face conflict, I felt like I was pointing my finger at him. I'm a bow hunter and weight is a big deal in the back country. I felt so under gunned. I finally got him to back off. I have had many black bear encounters. Most just ran away, some had to be yelled at. This bear came towards me when I waved and yelled at him. The encounter lasted for about 30min. He kept coming at me. I am rethinking my woods carry pistol. 9mm with BB +P or a bigger caliber( and weight). You never know until you are in a bad situation how much gun you need.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I just had a encounter with a very large black bear. I had my 9mm with FMJ. Not the best round. I felt comfortable with this setup. When this encounter with a 500lb black bear turned to a face to face conflict, I felt like I was pointing my finger at him. I'm a bow hunter and weight is a big deal in the back country. I felt so under gunned. I finally got him to back off. I have had many black bear encounters. Most just ran away, some had to be yelled at. This bear came towards me when I waved and yelled at him. The encounter lasted for about 30min. He kept coming at me. I am rethinking my woods carry pistol. 9mm with BB +P or a bigger caliber( and weight). You never know until you are in a bad situation how much gun you need.

What made you choose not to shoot and kill the bear?

jog

FNG
I feel a 9mm is fine. Better and consistent practice, will be a bigger contributer to a successful outcome than jumpiong up a caliber.
X2. Take it for what its worth but IMO unless you are into rifle calibers that take out the bears structure what you shoot well is better than what you do not. If you are a 100% assassin under duress using a 10mm, or thumper handgun caliber go for it. Just be great with what you choose to shoot.
All I am certain of is many people over-rate themselves in how well they shoot under pressure. No shade intended toward anyone, but its human nature to talk ourselves into thinking we are better than we are. Prove it to yourself. Then go forward.

jog

FNG
So you're saying ever imaginary fight scene in my head where Chuck Norris himself is standing back taking notes is not how it would most likely go?

And we don't get the girl either which sucks almost as bad as having your head ripped off by a bear...

MtnOyster

WKR
Not looking for a debate. I am going to carry a compact 9MM for all of my scouting next year, moving from a Glock 29. It's in Grizz country. Those that know, what say you?
If you wanna see how bad you can piss off a grizzly bear that’s already charging to kill you......go ahead and shoot it with a 9mm...........maybe your partner will hear you die screaming and can shoot it with his 10mm....
I got a life lesson with a huge black sow and a 40cal last fall.....10mm or larger for me from here on out.
If your gonna go....go big..

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I first moved to AK I didn’t have much extra money and the only handgun I had was a Glock 19, I carried it with Buffalo bore 147g hard cast bullets and I also had some sort of copper penetrating bullet from underwood Ammo.

I never had to actually use it on a bear but some locals where I was living had killed a few bears while they were out moose hunting and they brought them back to town, they asked me if I wanted to shoot them with the 9mm since they knew I had it but they thought it was ridiculous and would bounce off a beat or something.

both the rounds I had penetrated pretty deeply, it was t a scientific test by any means but was sort of cool to do.

I carry a 10mm now though.

If you wanna see how bad you can piss off a grizzly bear that’s already charging to kill you......go ahead and shoot it with a 9mm...........maybe your partner will hear you die screaming and can shoot it with his 10mm....
I got a life lesson with a huge black sow and a 40cal last fall.....10mm or larger for me from here on out.
If your gonna go....go big..

sometimes that bear doesn’t want to die. Sometimes it’s your shot placement. Rarely is it the caliber.

All handguns suck at stopping people when they decide to become threats to others, let alone a very large angry four-legged threat like a bear. Use whatever caliber you have and can shoot well. Unless it is a .380, if your using a .380 take off your wife’s dress and go buy a real gun. I would stay away from the hollow point and just use a FMJ.
Real gun? Would you be willing to stand in front of a .380? It must be ok? Right? Since it isn’t a real caliber.

Coldtrail

WKR
+P+ 147 solids, have a reputable reloader make them a little hot for you & shoot a bunch at the same spot if the time comes. Actually a well placed .22 rimfire mag with solids can drop a black bear, but shot placement under stress is usually the bigger issue, standing your ground in a good stance/sight picture while being charged can be a tall order for most folks.

Rmauch20

WKR
Real gun? Would you be willing to stand in front of a .380? It must be ok? Right? Since it isn’t a real caliber.
I can catch .380’s in my teeth. That is how slow they are.
Christ sakes, it was a joke. I have no loyalty to any caliber but why someone would take a 380 over a 9 mm is beyond me. The problem the .380 had is they weren’t carrying enough velocity to fully open up your defensive hollow point rounds. Maybe that’s been corrected.
What color is the dress your wearing?

MtGoat

FNG
I watched a show a number of years ago where the Inuit were hunting polar bears with a .22 and very successful.
When asked why they us a .22 and the response was .....it is better than a spear.
They had access to the rifles and ammunition.
The hunter would have preferred a 30-30 but the only thing he had access to was a .22.

Beats the heck out of a knife.

I tend to like a Buffalo Bore .44 Special out of a S&W 396.
Nice and light to carry but has some punch if needed.
So far have not needed it...knock on wood.

The really thinking I might run into bears gun is a Marlin 45-70 DRC take down guide gun with Garrett cast loads.
I know that one will punch through two moose shoulders without slowing down.

Pat

SoDaky

WKR
I have both a Glock 19 and 20.I practice with both but shoot the 19 much better.Fortunately haven't had to use either.
So much info out there about ammo I took the recommendations that sounded valid and did my own tests on thick cedar creosoted posts(admittedly not scientific).Then I decided on what I will use.(FWIW)
For the 20:a clip staggered with Underwood 200 gr Hard cast(1250fps) and Underwood 140 gr Extreme Penetrators(1500fps)
If out of the Penetrators would substitute 150 gr Extreme Hunters(1425fps)

For the 19:115 gr Extreme Penetrators(1250fps)

I can catch .380’s in my teeth. That is how slow they are.
Christ sakes, it was a joke. I have no loyalty to any caliber but why someone would take a 380 over a 9 mm is beyond me. The problem the .380 had is they weren’t carrying enough velocity to fully open up your defensive hollow point rounds. Maybe that’s been corrected.
What color is the dress your wearing?
If one would look at recent data, they would know that the 380 is better than nothing.
I prefer the 9mm, but there are times that 380 is carried as well. Not often, but sometimes.
Jokes are good. And I’ve yet to find anyone that criticizes the 380 willing to stand in front of one being shot. So, who is wearing the dress? Lol