9mm backcountry?

Every self respecting, non hipster, gun owner should have one.

Well that didn’t take much... picked up a Gen 5 Glock 19 at the hardware store on Friday. Need some suggestions on a holster and sight. Like the paddle holsters so might grab a Gun Fighter Inc.

Neighbor’s son just got back from Middle East (Marine), told me I’d be crazy to not toss a Trijicon type 2 RMR on there. Looks like another $500.

Last edited:
Well that didn’t take much... picked up a Gen 5 Glock 19 at the hardware store on Friday. Need some suggestions on a holster and sight. Like the paddle holsters so might grab a Gun Fighter Inc.

Neighbor’s son just got back from Middle East (Marine), told me I’d be crazy to not toss a Trijicon type 2 Rem on there. Looks like another $500.

$500 for the RMR + $150 for the slide cut + $60 for the co-witness irons + shipping & handling.

...so the RMR isn't cheap. The big upside is now that you have a G19, you can get rid of all those other pistols mentioned and be money ahead. :)

...so the RMR isn't cheap. The big upside is now that you have a G19, you can get rid of all those other pistols mentioned and be money ahead. :)

Always have trouble selling guns, though I probably could shed a few pistols. My Kimber 1911, Ruger GP100, a couple 9s, and a couple 22s probably good for my needs. Dumped my large frame revolver when I left Alaska so don’t see a need for anything else.

I will say my 380 LCP is a great bathing suite pistol tho 🤣!

Gen 5 won’t need a slide cut, right?
Does your Gen5 have a MOS?

It's preference, so I won't force my will on you...so will just encourage you to scope out the topic. My preference is RMR, mill cut, black suppressor rear/front. I shoot a ton, and often, so less parts carries weight.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a good balance of weigh/performance. Will most likely be attached to FHF bino harness. Any suggestions/insights appreciated.
I much prefer the Glock 23 Gen 4 as an outdoor pistol. Mine is loaded with Underwood 200 grain hardcast.
If not pick up a GEN 5 Glock 19, put some decent sights on it and rock on.

Jacack

WKR
Glock 43 most of the time , probably got 1100 rounds through it now and feel its the best size vs accuracy for me. 20sf if in grizzlies country but its like a brick by the end of the day on your side.

be prepared to spend plenty of time with that RMR to get up to comparable speed and accuracy with irons. Definite learning curve.

be prepared to spend plenty of time with that RMR to get up to comparable speed and accuracy with irons. Definite learning curve.

How so? I’ve got a couple red dots, but only on a 22 and 300 AAC. I shoot a few thousand rounds a year, mostly rifle and I’m far less competent with a handgun... do much better with my 1911 and GP100 but suspect the heavier gun and trigger offsets my flaws a bit.

Does your Gen5 have a MOS?

It's preference, so I won't force my will on you...so will just encourage you to scope out the topic. My preference is RMR, mill cut, black suppressor rear/front. I shoot a ton, and often, so less parts carries weight.

Yep, I figured why not (think it was around $100 more)? I shoot a fair amount but wouldn’t call myself a handgun guy by any stretch. What is the mill cut and what is the black suppressor rear/front? I’ve got a threaded VP9 that I picked up (honestly, just because I thought it’d be fun to shoot in back yard with my Mystic X) - pretty quiet with the 157 grain 9 mm rounds.

Yep, I figured why not (think it was around $100 more)? I shoot a fair amount but wouldn’t call myself a handgun guy by any stretch. What is the mill cut and what is the black suppressor rear/front? I’ve got a threaded VP9 that I picked up (honestly, just because I thought it’d be fun to shoot in back yard with my Mystic X) - pretty quiet with the 157 grain 9 mm rounds.
Mill cut: Your MOS already has a cut and plate that's threaded/ready to accept a RDS. Milling is a custom/machined cut for placing and mounting a specific RDS into the top surface of the slide. Most pistol slides require a mill cut, which is also going to allow the RDS to sit lower. There's no need for you to have a cut done if your slide is a MOS.

Rear/front: With most RDS sights you need to replace your front and rear sights with taller sights so you can view through the RDS window as a backup. Look up the term 'co-witness'.

I'll add that acclimation to a RDS for even a marginally capable pistol shooter will happen fast with a foundational understanding of sight alignment technique and dry fire practice.

Hope this helps!

Sorry for hijacking this thread OP - any preference on holsters you all have for the Glock
Mill cut: Your MOS already has a cut and plate that's threaded/ready to accept a RDS. Milling is a custom/machined cut for placing and mounting a specific RDS into the top surface of the slide. Most pistol slides require a mill cut, which is also going to allow the RDS to sit lower. There's no need for you to have a cut done if your slide is a MOS.

Rear/front: With most RDS sights you need to replace your front and rear sights with taller sights so you can view through the RDS window as a backup. Look up the term 'co-witness'.

I'll add that acclimation to a RDS for even a marginally capable pistol shooter will happen fast with a foundational understanding of sight alignment technique and dry fire practice.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions/clarifications, really appreciate the advice.

Neighbor suggests trijicon suppressor night sights... suspect that’ll fit the co-witness bill.

Sorry for hijacking this thread OP - any preference on holsters you all have for the Glock

Thanks for the suggestions/clarifications, really appreciate the advice.

Neighbor suggests trijicon suppressor night sights... suspect that’ll fit the co-witness bill.

My suggestion is $55 Ameriglo in black. You want the irons to be invisible unless you need them. Keep in mind that RMR reliability is off the charts.

Last edited: