9mm Bear defense pistol ammo?

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
There are quite a few videos on u tube comparing different bear defense ammo in all the popular cartridges.

Energy numbers don't mean much, but penetration does. In every test, in 10 %, 20% gel the heavy for caliber penetrates best. The 9mm did best with 147gr hard cast, 10mm did best with 200gr hard cast, as did 45 ACP, 45 Super, 44mag, 45 LC. Etc...
Do a little research, pick one, try to shoot it enough that you can actually make good hits. Noise does nothing.

EmperorMA

WKR
Here's what I run. Zero issues.

I did have some feed issues with the Xtreme Penetrators in both my 9mm & 10mm , so I wont recommend them
In which pistols with what (if any) mods?

EmperorMA

WKR
I think a 9MM is adequate for black bears, especially with specialty (non-range) ammo. However, I would not recommend hollow point bullets. You want more penetration to get through the tough hide, fat, and bone of a bear. I am assuming you are clear of Grizzly country. The range for a Grizzly is only in Montana, Wyoming (near Yellostone), and the Bitteroot area of Idaho. It would be EXTREMELY rare to encounter one in say, Colorado. Black bears are smaller and not as aggressive a grizzlies, and they are more timid. I have backpacked in the Smoky Mountains several times and never encountered one. An alternative to Buffalo Bore is Underwood Xtreme Penetrator +P in 115gr. MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL CAN SAFELY FIRE A +P+. Many standard pistols can not, and it would be dangerous to do so. Also, have bear spray.
There are grizzlies roaming freely all through Idaho, with a fairly healthy population in the Panhandle and the Selkirks.

North Cascades National Park in NW Washington also has quite a few. They have been spotted as far south and East as I-90 near Cle Elum.

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks.

I haven't been able to find the aluminum mag releases from Shield ..... only steel. Do you happen to have a link?

I am seriously thinking about a G48 MOS for this use.
Looks like the aluminum was only available on the 1st gen, now they recommend the steel mag releases.

Now my ocd is gonna get the best of me and make me purchase a steel release!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-24 163615.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-24 163615.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 4