A hypothetical: for a US "Big 3 Deer Slam"

Does the Coues deer count?

• Yes!

• No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ok, trying this again:

Let's say you have already bagged a blacktail (Columbia or Sitka) and a muley. You are missing only a whitetail for what?, let's call it a Big 3 Deer Slam (or whatever that would be called--help with that deeply appreciated, too.)
So, the only deer that you can chase, for whatever reason, is a Coues. You are lucky enough to bag one. Does that fulfill the Big 3 Slam (again, BT,Muley,WT)?

Last edited:
OP
Lou (Louis)
There is a deer slam for North America, but it includes all 5 species.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the clarification, sir!
Let's pretend that there is a Big 3 Deer Slam. Would you consider a Coues a WT, is essentially the question.

OP
Lou (Louis)
Why so worried about a pretend deer slam?
You know, I don't know. It's always been my dream to do it. 2/3 accomplished. Getting drawn as an out of stater in Oregon or Washington is very, very difficult, but would like to stay in the West, if possible (driving would be an option, for 1 thing). :)

bsnedeker

WKR
You know, I don't know. It's always been my dream to do it. 2/3 accomplished. Getting drawn as an out of stater in Oregon or Washington is very, very difficult, but would like to stay in the West, if possible (driving would be an option, for 1 thing). :)
If it's your dream I say count it as your dream fulfilled.

I just wouldn't go around bragging about it since it's not a real thing.

OP
Lou (Louis)
If it's your dream I say count it as your dream fulfilled.

I just wouldn't go around bragging about it since it's not a real thing.

I wouldn't be accomplishing it to brag. I know that you don't know me, but if you did, that thought wouldn't even enter your mind. ;)
It's just something I've always wanted to do.
Just one of those check list, things: fished all of the Great Lakes; visited all of the Hawaiian Islands, etc.
And you know what the main reason would be for me for doing it? I want to compare them for the table. ;)

CorbLand

WKR
I mean they are a whitetail so in theory yes, they would fill that “requirement.” You just don’t hunt them like you would hunt an eastern whitetail. But you don’t hunt Mexico muleys like you do in the Colorado high country…

I vote you go kill one of each.

OP
Lou (Louis)
I mean they are a whitetail so in theory yes, they would fill that “requirement.” You just don’t hunt them like you would hunt an eastern whitetail. But you don’t hunt Mexico muleys like you do in the Colorado high country…

I vote you go kill one of each.
I like your thinking! :ROFLMAO:

Antares

WKR
There's only two deer, mule and whitetail; everything else is a subspecies of one of those. In your hypothetical slam, you're counting mule and blacktail as separate, but then trying to decide if a whitetail subspecies (Coues) counts as a whitetail... sorta makes my head hurt.