A poacher from Montana Banned for life from hunting and trapping

PRC_GUY

WKR
What you guys think about this thief? I think he deserved that punishment and Fish and Games needs to make a good example for future poachers don’t cross the line.

Attachments

• 1912618B-E43F-46EE-B9BC-C1918019E370.jpeg
    1912618B-E43F-46EE-B9BC-C1918019E370.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 90
This was a great comment on the GoHunt site & makes a lot of sense...I think the fine should've been much higher & actual time in the grey bar hotel instead of a suspended sentence.

"So, I can go hunt moose in Montana without a license and kill a giant… Don’t even have to do the dirty work of packing out the meat… And the punishment is to take away my privilege to by a license that I didn't buy anyways and a fine cheaper than going on a guided moose hunt?? 10%+ of his fine is what hunters pay every year for 25+ years to hunt a moose."

My friend manages a ranch where multiple poachers are cited annually, the vast majority don't have a license when caught.
I think stiff fines and/or serving time or community service in addition to losing ability to get a license would be better.
Problem is most people get off with lighter sentences with crimes against humans making courts reluctant to punish poachers with what would seem a just sentence to us hunters doing it by the book.
The system is broke.

He could have been charged with a felony, but some county attorney's are reluctant to do so- not sure in this case.

The lifetime ban is not just for Montana, but also extends to other 47 states.

I do not know the finer point of MT, but it’s always nice when they have to forfeit the assets too. Lose the rifle and the truck, he’ll even the boots for “evidence” makes it sting a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banning a poacher for life is like giving an alcoholic the keys to the liquor cabinet and telling them they better not open it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Should have just shot a Sheep and said he thought it was an Elk...or better yet he should have got a job with FWP and shot a giant Bighorn in the Breaks...would have got even less of a punishment.

Gotta follow the rules, and if you don't you have to pay the piper. Just a ban, he probably got off easy.

Back