Activating an SOS

ol dad

FNG
Just curious if anyone has been involved in an intentional or unintentional situation where an SOS was activated. What were the circumstances and how did it play out? I had some close friends who had to activate their PLB last year on a hiking trip in Alaska. One of them went into hypothermia and the other two couldn't get him warmed up. Due to weather conditions it took S&R about 24 hours to arrive on scene. Since it was a PLB there was no way for them to communicate the problem. For the family and friends it was hard to keep your mind from thinking the worst during those 24 hours. Luckily all came out well!

Last edited:

GregB

WKR
I believe with an InReach when you activate your SOS you are able to communicate back and forth with whomever in responding.

Anozira

WKR
Without giving away names or too much info because they could be a member of this site, I know of an individual who claims the button somehow got pushed while inside his pack on the old Delorme model. Without communication from him, they immediately contacted his wife and had a full-on search and rescue recovery team mounted within hours. A helicopter was prepped to fly to his last "pinged" location when he got service on his way back out and his phone blew up with messages. I am not sure what happened after that or what consequences came of it.

mwebs

WKR
Without giving away names or too much info because they could be a member of this site, I know of an individual who claims the button somehow got pushed while inside his pack on the old Delorme model. Without communication from him, they immediately contacted his wife and had a full-on search and rescue recovery team mounted within hours. A helicopter was prepped to fly to his last "pinged" location when he got service on his way back out and his phone blew up with messages. I am not sure what happened after that or what consequences came of it.

This happens if it is a spot or similar device that just sends the signal and doesn't communicate. Whatever search and rescue agency that oversees the area it is activated in mobilizes immediately assuming a rescue is needed. Seen it many times. Some are real, some not. Response time depends on SAR team competency, which varies by area. Also it you get life flighted out expect a $50,000 bill you could also receive a bill for mistakenly activating from SAR, sheriff, etc. I pay $45 for a year's worth of life flight insurance, but I'm in the mountains year round and it could save me $50,000.

Phaseolus

WKR
I was fishing in the bottom of the Black Canyon NP this June. We heard a helicopter and then saw him easing his way down into the canyon. My friend said, “he looks like he is going to land”. Sure enough he landed on a sandbar about 100 feet from us. A helmeted guy hopped out and beckoned us to come. He asked if we were Joe Blow who had triggered a PLB. A few minutes later a guy came walking in to figure out why there was a helicopter. They asked him his name, he had triggered his PLB unintentionally. We didn’t stay around for the outcome and he was gone when we fished our way back down.

SWOHTR

WKR
Good info. Having an old model delorme, I’m not sure how you can accidentally trigger it - you have to slide and push. On the phone, it asks you if you’re SURE you want to activate.

All I can say is if you accidentally trigger it and they show up with a helo, hope you have an elk down because there would be no easier way to get that thing packed out! And if they’re going to charge you...try to get some utility out of it. Hah.

muddydogs

WKR
Good info. Having an old model delorme, I’m not sure how you can accidentally trigger it - you have to slide and push. On the phone, it asks you if you’re SURE you want to activate.

Its very easy unless your make sure the slider is pushed all the way over and clicks, just covering the red isn't enough the slider has to click. If the slider isn't all the way over and the SOS button is pushed for 5 seconds the unit will go into SOS mode even if the unit is off. To test and make sure your slider is in the locked position just push the button and let off, if you can feel the button give then it's not locked.

How do I know, well we have had a couple false alarms over the years. Most of them we can figure out if its a false alarm but in one case it went full blow search and rescue mode.

Here is my experience with the Inreach SOS.

As soon as the SOS gets triggered anyone on the emergency contact list gets an email or text depending on whats set up with an active map link which may or may not be helpful depending on if the unit is sending GPS location or its buried in a pack only able to send radio signal.

SOS call center starts calling the user and sending the Inreach unit text messages as well as emergency contacts.

Once its deemed an emergency the call center starts working on getting in touch with the best rescue resource.

Call center stays in contact with rescue crew and contact person via phone, rescue crew is contacting the contact for any information they might need and any info is transferred right away.

Everything is very professional and on the ball with the SOS call center.

In our case the volunteer search and rescue crew was on the ground within an hour and considering they had at least a 1/2 hour drive thats very good.

This happens if it is a spot or similar device that just sends the signal and doesn't communicate. Whatever search and rescue agency that oversees the area it is activated in mobilizes immediately assuming a rescue is needed. Seen it many times. Some are real, some not. Response time depends on SAR team competency, which varies by area. Also it you get life flighted out expect a $50,000 bill you could also receive a bill for mistakenly activating from SAR, sheriff, etc. I pay $45 for a year's worth of life flight insurance, but I'm in the mountains year round and it could save me $50,000.

Who's your policy through? I think I'd like to get that.

rmees1

FNG
Gritty podcast just had a rep from Garmin on who covers this topic very in depth and most of what is above is correct.

Phaseolus

WKR
^Hah! I’ve been weighing that decision lately too, looking at the WM Alpinelight.

OP
O

ol dad

FNG
Great info! Thanks for the replies!

I know some states will incur the cost of a SAR as a result of an activated SOS. I'm wondering in those states that don't, if you come across someone else who needs help, and activate your SOS, who is responsible for the bill? What would you do in that situation?

GregB

WKR
Great info! Thanks for the replies!

I know some states will incur the cost of a SAR as a result of an activated SOS. I'm wondering in those states that don't, if you come across someone else who needs help, and activate your SOS, who is responsible for the bill? What would you do in that situation?
Have him sign a statement that he is responsible for all costs incurred from activating the SOS, and that you will not be held liable for anything that happens from SOS activation through the extraction.
Or just activate the SOS get them squared away and worry about it later.