Badger fights to the death.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
An acquaintance backcountry elk hunts every year in the same general area. This year he visited his kill site from the previous season and found the skeletons of a black bear and badger. The skeletons and skulls look like they died around the same time and near each other. The theory is that they fought to the death over the elk carcass. Crazy scene to think about but I kept thinking maybe there was an alternate explanation… until yesterday.

My wife’s coworker had been missing her German shepherd mix for about 48 hours until the UPS driver found her dead near the side of the road next to a dead badger. It appears they had a fight to the death.

I have never seen a badger in the wild but it’s true that they really don’t give a $h*t. These stories make me want to learn more about them. Does anyone have any crazy badger encounters?

ODB

WKR
An acquaintance backcountry elk hunts every year in the same general area. This year he visited his kill site from the previous season and found the skeletons of a black bear and badger. The skeletons and skulls look like they died around the same time and near each other. The theory is that they fought to the death over the elk carcass. Crazy scene to think about but I kept thinking maybe there was an alternate explanation… until yesterday.

My wife’s coworker had been missing her German shepherd mix for about 48 hours until the UPS driver found her dead near the side of the road next to a dead badger. It appears they had a fight to the death.

I have never seen a badger in the wild but it’s true that they really don’t give a $h*t. These stories make me want to learn more about them. Does anyone have any crazy badger encounters?

No, but go look up how they get out of their pens in zoos. they are tool-users like crows. very smart.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider

Got any pics?

Gen273

WKR
I had one semi-charge me in the Idaho backcountry about 15 years ago. He certainly was not intimidated by my presence. However, that encounter was an anomaly in my experience.

Had one attack me when I was in high school. I was hoeing a fence line in the Palouse. He charged and I hit him on the bridge of the nose with the hoe and killed him. Them I ran like hell.

You don't see many during the winter when the pelt would be worth saving.

bigmoose

WKR
I think they go through life pissed off. We were traveling in a International Travelall above tree line in the Gravelleys one year when we came around a rock pile. A badger was in the road. He immediately ran towards us and started chewing on the front tire and then he attacked the fender. Mean little dudes. I always give them a wide berth.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I had one semi-charge me in the Idaho backcountry about 15 years ago. He certainly was not intimidated by my presence. However, that encounter was an anomaly in my experience.
I’ve had multiple badger charges. Brave little critters for sure. Like to leave them be normally as they kill ground squirrels and rabbits. Usually doesn’t end well for them when they keep coming in on the charge though.

IMG_5444.jpeg

We had one come into a pasture that had ground squirrels. It tore the shit out of that field digging up and eating them. We let it be as it was impressive the speed it dug and how many squirrel burrows it destroyed. It moved on fairly quick after it ate that colony.

Make you wonder about Winnie dogs, how they where breed to hunter badgers.

Legend

WKR
My old man was a farmer and hated badger holes in the field. He would kill them often. He said the secret is you gotta make them really mad....then they stop running away and they stay and fight.

This is a true story and I saw similar versions play out on multiple occasions. We saw the badger out in a field and jump out of the truck and ran it down. As soon as the badger turned on him he would kick it square in the nose. Now the badger was pissed and there to fight and would stop running. One day I watched him kill a badger with a 15 inch crescent wrench. Crazy!!

I haven't killed one in 30 years. Cool critter.

Beendare

WKR
One of the craziest things I’ve seen was when my hog dogs ran into a mama badger with cubs. That badger was the fastest animal for 5’ I’ve ever seen. She put the hurt on a few of the dogs flying from one to another before we could get them away.

One of my battle tested pit bulls tried to grab her when she was locked on the back leg of another dog and she grabbed him by the upper gum and hung on. I’ve stitched that dog many times from hog battles and never a whimper. He was screaming like a baby when that badger had ahold of him.

Incredible animals.

I seriously doubt one German Shepard has a chance against a healthy badger.