Badger fights to the death.

7mm-08

WKR
Badgers are bad-a** animals, as are wolverines and other large members of the weasel family. Like has been said previously, they act as if they just don't care. Years ago, I ran into one in the dark when I was walking a trail close to a river after chasing elk all day. The trail was more like a tunnel the brush on both sides was so thick. I couldn't find a place to get off the trail to let him pass and it turned into a really interesting situation with me finally shooting the him with a broadhead from my recurve with a headlamp. I felt bad because I had no interest in killing him, but he really gave me little choice. Thought I was going to end up badger scat. One of the few times I felt like I needed a sidearm while archery elk hunting.

Last edited:
OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
All of these stories are great. You can’t hunt badgers in WA but that’s okay, I think I would just want to sit and watch the little Joe Pesci‘s of the animal kingdom.

An acquaintance backcountry elk hunts every year in the same general area. This year he visited his kill site from the previous season and found the skeletons of a black bear and badger. The skeletons and skulls look like they died around the same time and near each other. The theory is that they fought to the death over the elk carcass. Crazy scene to think about but I kept thinking maybe there was an alternate explanation… until yesterday.

My wife’s coworker had been missing her German shepherd mix for about 48 hours until the UPS driver found her dead near the side of the road next to a dead badger. It appears they had a fight to the death.

I have never seen a badger in the wild but it’s true that they really don’t give a $h*t. These stories make me want to learn more about them. Does anyone have any crazy badger encounters?

IMG_5288.jpeg

Oldbuff

FNG
Once I shot a few of them, I never saw anything really weird with them, and I was amazed at the punishment they could endure. No one's presence intimidates them, for sure.

Oldbuff

FNG
Once I shot a few of them, I never saw anything really weird with them, and I was amazed at the punishment they could endure. No one's presence intimidates them, for sure.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Badgers are bad-a** animals, as are wolverines and other large members of the weasel family. Like has been said previously, they act as if they just don't care. Years ago, I ran into one in the dark when I was walking a trail close to a river after chasing elk all day. The trail was more like a tunnel the brush on both sides was so thick. I couldn't find a place to get off the trail to let him pass and it turned into a really interesting situation with me finally shooting the him with a broadhead from my recurve with a headlamp. I felt bad because I had no interest in killing him, but he really gave me little choice. Thought I was going to end up badger scat. One of the few times I felt like I needed a sidearm while archery elk hunting.
Badgers are related to wolverines, ferrets, minks, etc. There are about 14 or so species of badgers, all related. The African Honey Badger is tough and aggressive almost beyond comprehension. " Honey Badger just don`t care! " Being a cousin, it`s no wonder the American Badger is as ornery as it is.

rabbithuntr

Lil-Rokslider
My dad likes to tell a story about a badger the guy he worked for took after on a dirt bike, as the bike was about to catch him he spun around and latched on to it. The bike and the guy went end over end and the badger just sauntered off.

When I was in college I interned for SDSU, they were live trapping pdogs for some reason. A badger lived in the colony and had a litter she would go around to the traps and let the pdog out then catch it. The scientist were mad cause it messed with their data couldn’t decide if they should kill it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
f5ad58d938179ff6585ec88b55b8b9ed.jpg

2d3a20910e668f1ef00aca5b1ff97d42.jpg

Ornery buggers…This one took a real liking to spooking horses and might an appropriate demise. Hide turned out better than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, I was hunting pigs in south Texas and saw a small one cruising through the brush, obviously heading somewhere. I started calling by kissing on the back of my hand, figured I didn’t have anything to loose. He immediately ran to me but he would get to about 10 yards facing head on, wait a couple of seconds then turn and leave. But he was always facing directly towards me or away from me. The third time I squeaked at him he didn’t come running in, but turned just a little face quartered away. The arrow caught him right in the back of his head. Ended up letting a friend of mine mount him and he had the skull cleaned with Beatles with the broad head still in the skull. View attachment 657317View attachment 657318

GOOD OLE ZWICKEE BROADHEAD!!

Funny story: years ago I was driving in Lincoln County NM, and I saw a beautiful roadkill badger on side of highway. I always wanted to have a Badger mountain man cap and a cleaned off skull so I pulled over and got out with my gloves, at first glance the badger looked fine n dead so I picked him up and walked about about 15 feet when I got nailed with the smell and mr badger leaked juice on my boots. I had to fling him into the ditch and throw my gloves as well. Well the inside of my truck was now perfumed so I bought a couple of air fresheners and threw the boots in the the truck bed. It was a long stinky drive back to California. I wouldn't kill one unless it attacked my dog. Hope to have my Jeremiah Johnson cap someday...

Swamp Fox

WKR
Interstate dirty joke punchline:

"You ever see what a gopher hole looks like after a badger's been in it??"