Support for 6.8 western?

Unckebob

WKR
Does anyone know if 6.8W cartridges will fit in a magazine that goes in a M5 bottom metal.

Gila

WKR
Does anyone know if 6.8W cartridges will fit in a magazine that goes in a M5 bottom metal.
Don’t know about M5 but the longest possible COAL with the 175 gr game changer kissing the lands in a SAAMI chamber is 2.96”.

wartak

FNG
Seekins makes rifles chambered in 6.8 Western as well. Barrel makers will spin one up for ya. I bought a prefit barrel off the shelf. Just as much ammo out there as the 7 PRC right now. The 165 LRAB and 175 Gamechanger are popular loads. As of now Winchester, Browning and Choice produce ammo. For handloaders, plenty of bullets available. Brass is only being produced by Winchester as of now but looking for some premium brass to be available by the end of the year.

This is mostly true, however the part in the articles stating that the 7prc gets a bit more velocity is a total overstatement. Most of the data I have seen the 7prc gets sub 2900 fps with 175 eldx and meanwhile the 6.8 western is getting real-world velocities of 2860ish in 24" barrel with far less powder. I wonder why so few folks these days take into account cartridge efficiency?

wartak

FNG
Don’t know about M5 but the longest possible COAL with the 175 gr game changer kissing the lands in a SAAMI chamber is 2.96”.
They work in 6.5PRC rifles however mine feeds like trash and so does a friend of mines rifle. I believe the prc is a little longer than 6.8 isn't it?
My PRC the tips of the bullets are mangled by the time it feeds into the chamber completely because of the odd feeding angle.