Advice and guidance: 1 rifle and caliber

Sweet, didn't know they let you test fire rifles. It's a ways from me and only been there once. I'm gonna have to check it out. Thanks man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Yeah they have quite a few guns on their range program. So does Sheridan arms in Saginaw ,and silver bullet in grand rapids, and barricks 616 , and I believe Ann arbor arms I think is the name of a place closer to you all of which have rifles to test fire and indoor ranges.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned but a tikka compact in 308 may punch your ticket. Not sure on your rationale for short action but saving 2 inches off the barrel will certainly help out with handiness. You won't notice the 1/2 inch from the short action.

Brhjerry

FNG
Ive shot everything with a 300 Win Mag since I was 10, im a diehard 300 guy. However I recently bought a cheap Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. That gun has not left my side!

Not sold on the Ruger but its damn nice to shoot a round that doesn't hurt your ears!

I agree. Picked up a ruger American stainless in 308.
Put aLeupold vx 3i on it on sale from cabelas.
Got @ a1000.00 in to it and shoots like a dream
Left handed too

Call.me.porter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my wife a Browning Xbolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5CM thinking it would be a perfect lightweight, low recoil, still kill an elk kind of gun. Well, it does everything and more than I could ever ask of it. 6 deer, 1 elk and 1 bear last year, and I'm finding myself grabbing it out of the safe over my Sako Finnlite 300WSM because it is such a sweetheart of a firearm.

BigSky

WKR
Just a reminder all Tikka short action caliber are built on a long action with a bolt limiter. You truly gain nothing limiting yourself to a short action in a Tikka

Ok, now this is something I was completely unaware of. Thank you!

Keep in mind, the way these guys are presenting this information is only partially correct. For weight concerns, they are correct. However, for length of bolt travel, Tikkas are short action because of the stop and therefore shorter bolt travel. I tell you this only so you don't make a decision based on bad/partially correct information.

338 RCM, 20” barrel, 230gr ELD-X @ 2735fps

Attachments

• 649213DC-022B-4BAF-8144-5E1CD04D11B5.jpeg
    649213DC-022B-4BAF-8144-5E1CD04D11B5.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 36

WildWes

FNG
I ended up getting a Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 CM....used mostly for deer with the occasional elk.. it’s a little above your price range but it’s an amazing rifle if you could just save up a little more. Mine shoots consistent half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the 143 ELDX ammo.

EmperorMA

WKR
Keep in mind, the way these guys are presenting this information is only partially correct. For weight concerns, they are correct. However, for length of bolt travel, Tikkas are short action because of the stop and therefore shorter bolt travel. I tell you this only so you don't make a decision based on bad/partially correct information.
Actually, the Tikka is limited because you cannot get a short action. Other manufacturers offer both short and long, so the limitation lies with Tikka and the unnecessary parts and lack of options.

Actually, the Tikka is limited because you cannot get a short action. Other manufacturers offer both short and long, so the limitation lies with Tikka and the unnecessary parts and lack of options.

Unnecessary parts?

Just a reminder all Tikka short action caliber are built on a long action with a bolt limiter. You truly gain nothing limiting yourself to a short action in a Tikka

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I look at it differently and prefer tikkas in short action chamberings because you can maximize their efficiency by running them in a long action magazine. Long action chamberings on the other hand are neutered by limited mag space.

Tikka in 7/08 is my choice for the OP.

I look at it differently and prefer tikkas in short action chamberings because you can maximize their efficiency by running them in a long action magazine. Long action chamberings on the other hand are neutered by limited mag space.

Tikka in 7/08 is my choice for the OP.
exactly - you change the bolt stop to lengthen the throw for short action, throw in a long magazine, all of a sudden the world is your oyster ….

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have my caliber figured out. After alot of advice and some thinking about how I hunt.... not from a bench..... and reasonable expectations of my shooting ability and matching that with performance out of a hunting round..... I am settling in on the venerable .308 Win. Hunting situations I find myself in, and see myself in the future I think it's gonna be a good fit. The 6.5 CM is tempting, but to 500 yards in a hunting situation, I'm not seeing much of a difference. If I need more than 500 yards with some oompff, I do have a 7mm Mag that I do shoot really well.

A big sell, and call it silly, I opened up 2 online stores and looked at ammo offering, and the .308 Win had double the offering of the 6.5 CM.

Particular rifles, I am between 2. The Tikka T3x and the Kimber Hunter. I'm gonna hit another store and put my hands on both side by side and go from there.

Any particular suggestions for pairing with some decent glass? The application is hunting and not bench shooting. Currently, my rifles have either Nikon or Leupold.

JoeDirt

WKR
Well, I have my caliber figured out. After alot of advice and some thinking about how I hunt.... not from a bench..... and reasonable expectations of my shooting ability and matching that with performance out of a hunting round..... I am settling in on the venerable .308 Win. Hunting situations I find myself in, and see myself in the future I think it's gonna be a good fit. The 6.5 CM is tempting, but to 500 yards in a hunting situation, I'm not seeing much of a difference. If I need more than 500 yards with some oompff, I do have a 7mm Mag that I do shoot really well.

A big sell, and call it silly, I opened up 2 online stores and looked at ammo offering, and the .308 Win had double the offering of the 6.5 CM.

Particular rifles, I am between 2. The Tikka T3x and the Kimber Hunter. I'm gonna hit another store and put my hands on both side by side and go from there.

Any particular suggestions for pairing with some decent glass? The application is hunting and not bench shooting. Currently, my rifles have either Nikon or Leupold.

.308 is a great option, you can get great performance out of a short barrel. There are more and more aftermarket options coming out for the Tikka every day. If you a not a person that likes to modify rifles maybe the Kimber. If you might want to change a few things in the future Tikka.

Limiting yourself to 500 yards hunting is great. However you should really practice out farther than your longest shot you plan on taking. My vote is the VX-5 or VX-6 You get some nice turrets. I also own a few VX3i but they're limited to 14 moa of adjustment but its really light!

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
.308 is a great option, you can get great performance out of a short barrel. There are more and more aftermarket options coming out for the Tikka every day. If you a not a person that likes to modify rifles maybe the Kimber. If you might want to change a few things in the future Tikka.

Limiting yourself to 500 yards hunting is great. However you should really practice out farther than your longest shot you plan on taking. My vote is the VX-5 or VX-6 You get some nice turrets. I also own a few VX3i but they're limited to 14 moa of adjustment but its really light!
To be honest, I'll probably never take a poke to 500 yards. I'll likely try and get closer.

What kind of options are you talking about with respect to mods on the Tikka?

JoeDirt

WKR
To be honest, I'll probably never take a poke to 500 yards. I'll likely try and get closer.

What kind of options are you talking about with respect to mods on the Tikka?

Tikka has become a great base platform for long range shooting. Its slowly replacing the Remington 700 (my opinion) You can now order pre fit barrels, bolt on aftermarket stocks (no bedding) fluted bolts to reduce weight. Seems everyone is making something for the Tikka now.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka has become a great base platform for long range shooting. Its slowly replacing the Remington 700 (my opinion) You can now order pre fit barrels, bolt on aftermarket stocks (no bedding) fluted bolts to reduce weight. Seems everyone is making something for the Tikka now.
Very good to know!!

My A-Bolt in 308 is my most accurate rifle (I have many) shooting the Barnes Vor-TX 168 grain TTSX. I do not reload. I shoot 22-250, 260, 308, 7RM(Tikka T3SL) and 300WM. Barnes ammunition shoots great out of most of them. I also use Leupold scopes on all. Never a failure! Good luck with your choice.

With the T3X, they are great out of the box. I have one in 300 Win Mag, topped with Leopold VX6HD (3-18x50), that is dead nuts accurate to 1000 with 190 grain Berger VLDs (hand loads). It is right at 8 pounds.

I have another T3X in 6.5 CM that is currently topped with a Vortex Razor LH (3-15). Trying to decide if I want to keep that scope or go with the Leopold VX5HD. It shoots about 0.5 MOA with COTS Hornady Precision Hunter but will have hand loads developed once the season is over. Once again, no reason that I have seen to make modifications to the rifle.

It is always a good thing to practice further than you intend to hunt. It makes the "closer" shots much easier. However, there are times where you just cannot get any closer. Having the skill, and confidence, to make the extended shot can increase your success.