Advice for flatlanders?

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Drive about 90 minutes northwest until you hit mountains, start hiking and exploring the back country in the Pisgah. It's a whole lot better scenery than stadium stairs and flat neighborhoods. Bring a rifle during deer season and a rod every other time, camp out in the forest and use your gear.

That's my 2 cents.

dmc

FNG
Lots of good advice. Cardio is always #1. I'd try to convince you to look harder at muzzleloading or archery.... September is the best time to hunt elk for a lot of reasons. Put in for a point if you can - I believe there's a big difference in the low point draws versus the unlimited units.

find a hill, any hill and hike up and down it.... a lot. I run about 50 lbs in my pack and just do a bunch of hill repeats.

Drink lots of water in prep,

I find that when I get in pretty solid shape my feet are what start screaming the loudest. A lot of it is hot spots that can get pretty bad but its also the muscles that get turned to hamburger from all of the uneven ground. I haven't found a better way to train them than a lot of time off trail in the hills.

Be prepared to embrace the suck.

robtattoo

WKR
As a fellow flatlander (middle TN) with a few western, mountain hunts under my belt, I would say that all the above advice is great.
It's greater if you're basically a fit, active guy.
I'm not that. I'm a tubby cubby that drinks way to much, eats too much & would rather have a tooth pulled than go to a gym.
I try to work out for the 3 months before I go west, but don't always succeed.

The one piece of advice I would give, is no matter what anyone here does, don't compare yourselves to them. They live up there. They work, daily at altitude. We don't. Go slow. Don't over exert yourself.
Train add much as you can, however you can, but please...Don't try to be one of these western guys.
There's no shame in not being able to climb from 9k to 12k in 4 miles, in 4 hours.
My first shot at Colorado, it took me 8 hours to climb 3 thousand feet. By mile 3 I literally hiked 50yds, then had to stop & rest for 10 minutes. Admittedly, I was carrying close to 70lb, but with even half that, I don't think I couldn't shaved more than an hour.
You know what? I still had a fantastic time!

Getting to understand exactly HOW the lack of oxygen affects you is the biggest hurdle, I think. (It's like breathing through a drinking straw....) My first trip to Wyoming nearly killed me. My second trip, I'd actually gained 30lb, but because I knew what it felt like, was much easier.

If you're struggling, stop. Breathe. Drink lots. Take altitude Diamox & eat your way through a pack of Rolaids a day while you're there. You'll probably need a sleep aid for the first couple of nights too. Diamox will have to be prescribed & is expensive, but it's totally totally worth getting.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been out west, but I plan to this fall in Idaho. However I did hunt goats in Hawaii wifh a buddy when we vacationed there. I dropped the wife off and we went from kicking it on the beach the day before, to parking the truck at 6500' hiking up to 9500'. I found out what kind of man I was not that day. Poor hydration, poor footwear, and poor cardio coupled with a very drastic change in altitude kicked my arse. I think about that every time I train now... I was in decent shape at the time but I had no idea how the altitude would effect me.

This doesn't have to be like training for the Olympics. Of course you should try to get into great physical shape! Though strategy, mentality, gear and general preparedness will get you equally as far.

For example, during the gun seasons you may develop a strategy to hunt the backside of some large private ranches instead of hiking 10 miles into the wilderness. Or, you may seriously consider hiring an outfitter for pack in/out services. Pick a unit, then study and research it as much as possible, including nearby amenities. The more you prepare in all aspects, the less likely you are just going to have an expensive camping trip. Your biggest challenge may be getting your hunting partners ALL on the same page.

Backyard

WKR
Start now with cardio, biking, and various different types of leg work,(stay away from extensions, they will eventually destroy your knees), finish each workout with some kind of core work, pikes planks, crunches etc. Then in a few months add in the pack work with light weight slowly adding the weight every other week up till its time to head west, do this on uneven ground, it helps to strengthen areas around the feet and ankles. If you do this 4-5 times a week till then, you'll almost be ready.
As stated earlier; drink lots of water prior to heading out there, on the way, and while you're there.
When you do get out there, plan on hanging around your truck or basecamp for at least a day or two before heading in the backcountry, it really helps to be somewhat acclimated than just heading out cold from the flatlands.

Good luck!

MTForester

Lil-Rokslider
Put lots of miles on this summer, preferably with some ups and downs. Make sure a good chunk of those miles are in the boots you plan on hunting in. I have seen more people demoralized by totally destroyed feet than anything else.

7Bartman

WKR
Stairmaster or stadium steps. Sprints up an incline I've found to helpful too. Long distanct treadmill running I didn't find to be that helpful.

Danimal

Lil-Rokslider
Just went for the first time last year, live in Florida. I lost 50 lbs for the trip and needed every bit of that. Cross fit, run, train like a maniac. I'm already prepping for 2019. If you can lunge, push, or drag something that seems to best simulate elevation and back pack weight on flat land. Weighted lunges should be in your exercise routine. Lots of good programs out there online but start with running and cross-fit, then start some specific pack prep 2 months before your trip. Give yourself 3-5 days of rest before your first big hike and good luck.

elkguide

WKR
The hills are way steeper and a lot higher than anything that you can imagine. Compare it to running up a flight of 100 stairs with a 100 pound pack on and being able to only breathe through a straw. Get out and climb up and down every hill that you can find. But most of all plan on having a great time and then do it!

Poser

WKR
Drive about 90 minutes northwest until you hit mountains, start hiking and exploring the back country in the Pisgah. It's a whole lot better scenery than stadium stairs and flat neighborhoods. Bring a rifle during deer season and a rod every other time, camp out in the forest and use your gear.

That's my 2 cents.

Good advice. pisgah is rugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usi05

WKR
I have been carrying my climber tree stand (older model so about 30lbs) with another 40 lbs of weight strapped to it and walking up and down some small local hills in Michigan.

I ride stationary bike about 3 miles 5 times a week with different amounts of resistance and I’m lifting and working out core.

Plan to continue to amp up each few weeks until getting close to mid summer then I will hit it much harder.

Couple of small hikes planned with my girl as well.

Thanks for insight folks!

In my prep for Wyoming this past year I did a lot of up/down hikes with 40-60lbs in my pack with my hunting boots on and then mix in weighted tire drags and jump lunges. Most of this was done in 90+ degree temps and high humidity. I didn’t go crazy with it, just did those three things a few times a week. When it came to the hunt the thin air slowed me down more than anything but it wasn’t that bad. We went from 8k to 10,500’ and never felt like I was going to die lol. Just had to slow down and take breaks and drink lots of water. It was an absolute blast!

I did my first trip this last year and was worried about altitude as I am from low and very flat land. We didn’t hunt that high, 6000-7500, and that really didn’t seem to affect any of use. I walked a few miles every other day with 50# pack, boots, and hunting clothes. Also every weekend went to the only hill around and walked up that a bunch. I am in decent shape and am pretty active as I do construction for a living. The biggest thing I can say is get your mind right, that is what really hurt a few people on our trip.

Spend more time planning on where to go (primary and multiple back up plans) than worrying about which gear to have. People love to get caught up on gear; don't do that.

Take a scouting trip or two, plenty of time between now and 2020.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
I did my first trip this last year and was worried about altitude as I am from low and very flat land. We didn’t hunt that high, 6000-7500, and that really didn’t seem to affect any of use. I walked a few miles every other day with 50# pack, boots, and hunting clothes. Also every weekend went to the only hill around and walked up that a bunch. I am in decent shape and am pretty active as I do construction for a living. The biggest thing I can say is get your mind right, that is what really hurt a few people on our trip.

What were the mental challenges they were dealing with?