Advice on hunting socks

bat-cave

WKR
+ 1 for the First Lite socks. I like the ones I have from Gore and Darn Tough, but the First Lite socks take first place for me. The main reason is that they don't fall down like everything else and are super comfortable. I also agree with NTTRKYS in that I ditched the liners with First Lite and amd the better for it!

jakeB20

FNG
Second those injinji liners...I wear them under first lite, Costco, farm to feet, and smart wool and have had no hot spots since getting the liners.

What injinji liners do you guys use? Injinji Liner Crew NuWool Socks?

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve used the wool you mentioned and the synthetic they both work well.

65e929f8aebfa4e0159cfe0d63515ca2.jpg

f02f252194851765ff412cc616f00515.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tlkaetz

WKR
I have always been a Darn Tough guy (boot sock full cushion). I picked up a few pairs of the Farm to Feet Damascus socks and am super impressed!!

Zoomfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have always been a Darn Tough guy (boot sock full cushion). I picked up a few pairs of the Farm to Feet Damascus socks and am super impressed!!

X2

Was my Christmas present to myself. Haven’t washed them since. Not sure what that says about my hygiene but testament to their comfort.

kipper09

WKR
I agree with darn tough. They are great socks. Have some farm to feet too and they are great as well. Happened upon some socks last week called FITS and they by far are my favorite. They fit and they don’t slide down. I bought them in otc ski socks with medium cushion

Looking to know what people have found to be the best hunting/hiking socks. I’ve tried several brands I tend to use Marino wool sock most often but sometime I’m still getting hot spots on my feet. Ant recommendations?
Just go with darn toughs. I have used the same set of 4 pairs for the last 7 years and wear them everything from working out, work(LEO), hunting/hiking, ect. The only hole I have put in them are from a barbed wire fence they got caught on. They are almost indestructible in my opinion. And they have a pretty good warranty.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Costco Merino trail socks. I've been using them for 4 years now backpacking and hunting. I think they're about 3$ a pair. They simply work and I can't see ever using anything else.
The Costco socks are the best value. It’s all I wear for work socks and early season. Once it gets cold I go for the wigwams.

i purchased some buffalo wool socks. verdict is out but its suppose to be warmer than wool and better with moisture. there looks to be a few makers and the blends are all over the place. one company has only 17% buffalo. its amazing how numbers can get fluffed and you can still call it something.

*zap*

WKR
Darn tough mountaineering calf high- great padding and warmth for short hikes in and sitting.
Smartwool phd calf high if its mostly hiking/moving.

eoperator

WKR
Darn tough for me. Maybe try switching out socks during the day, I get hot spots when my feet are hot/sweaty. Or try a new lacing option.

Looking to know what people have found to be the best hunting/hiking socks. I’ve tried several brands I tend to use Marino wool sock most often but sometime I’m still getting hot spots on my feet. Ant recommendations?

Hot spots might be more about boot fit than sock choice. If you are getting on your heel than prob to wide of a boot. If you are getting on toes than maybe you need to 1/2 size up. I use medium or heavy cushion socks. Smart Wool is the cats meow. You could also try using a liner sock to help reduce the friction.

Wow, amazing the difference in what works for different individuals. I used to wear Smartwool but I've been using Altera Alpaca Conquer for several years and love them. I usually only pack one extra pair of socks on a multi-day trip and swap them once per day. What I found for me was that if I try and go with a thicker sock I get rubbed raw. I tried the liner+sock and that was even worse. I like to keep my sock layer minimal and make sure my shoe fits at the ankle so I don't get slippage. Tried the FL socks and didn't like them. I own some Altera Alpaca Prevail and they are thicker, I can't wear them with my boots.

dkime

WKR
Originally a Darn Tough guy but that Farm to Feet Damascus will now be with me everywhere

ILph4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had great luck with Minus 33 all day hikers and expedition weight socks

JP100

WKR
your hot spots may be a fit/boot issue not a sock one.

I use all types of socks as long as they are thick and wool.

Spendy brands of socks are overated I think, lots of cheaper socks are just as good.
Make sure they are near on 100% wool and away ya go.
Got some from cabelas last winter on a good deal and they are awesome, were under $10 a pair I think

mcseal2

WKR
I almost always use Darn Tough full cushion boot socks with no liners. They work for me most hunts in most temps.

If it's pretty hot I'll use some First Lite socks I have. They aren't the compression I don't think, they are an orange brown color. I'm not sure of the model. They are thicker under the foot and on the sides, less thick on the top of the foot and over the rest of the sock. They are cooler on a really hot hunt.

Boots make a difference too. Hot hunts I wear the Salomon 4D, most hunts it's un-insulated Kennetrek Mountain Extremes. Colder hunts it's 200gram Meindl Alaskan Guide boots or super cold, less walking its the Cabelas Inferno.

Matching my boot to the temp and staying with a thicker sock with enough loft to wick sweat is what works for me.