Advice on Sewing

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I try to work on as much of my own gear as I can. Been thinking about getting a second hand sewing machine for use on repairs and adjustments to clothes, outerwear and such. Materials would be medium to heavy weight fabrics, light canvas, things like That. I dont want to have a lot of money tied up in it. Advice on what kind of machine to look for?

Any advice appreciated.

Marble

WKR
This is what I use. It's a sears model that's probably 30 years old. It is a very high quality machine and can do a lot.

I can basically fix minor rips, seam separations and patch stuff. But I struggle to remember how to properly route both threads each time. And I am not good at it, but I make it work.

This is a craft, a trade, something people make a living at.

I know for some materials you need specific needles or you'll break them.

I would suggest a book of some type. I wish I was more help but really I don't know shit.
1c3b066798cb94290a2eb646984ec51b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I use an old Singer 500 slant-o-matic (might be a 503?).It’s got metal gears. Works good for webbing, canvas, ect… as long as you don’t get too thick stacking layers. Then it just breaks the needle.

cnelk

WKR
I have an old Bernette. I learned to sew way back when I was in 4H. My mom is still sewing stuff.

I fix all kinds of stuff and gear. I use a #100 needle for most heavy items.

tuffcity

WKR
If you're looking to spend $100 on a machine then disregard but...

I would have been a 3rd gen upholsterer if I hadn't pursued a different career path but grew up doing the upholstery thing (auto, marine, furniture) and when my father passed many years ago I kept a lot of his tools. One being a Juki industrial machine. Might get back into custom stuff as a side hustle when I retire.

If you're looking to sew anything from light cotton to heavy webbing look for a good used one. Even a 35 year old machine in good repair is a keeper.

OP
Archerichards

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
I use an old Singer 500 slant-o-matic (might be a 503?).It’s got metal gears. Works good for webbing, canvas, ect… as long as you don’t get too thick stacking layers. Then it just breaks the needle.
Thanks for this.
Just wondering...can you put heavy needles in the Slant O Matic?

grfox92

WKR
For some reason when I read this title I thought it said "Advice on Swinging." and I though the Nudists were back.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Thanks for this.
Just wondering...can you put heavy needles in the Slant O Matic?
Whats a "heavy needle"? It will take a 16 or 18 size denim or upholstery needle.
That's likely not heavy for a commercial machine. I don't know.

I guess the question would be; When you say "canvas", what is it you are talking about?
Are you talking about trying to sew a webbing stake loop to a 3 or 4 layer canvas corner seam in an outfitter style tent? If that's what your talking about, then I don't think the singer will cut it.
If your talking about sewing a canvas patch over a hole where there is maybe 3 layers max, then it would do it. Or one of them Cabela's type canvas tents, then you could probably sew everything.

WCB

WKR
For some reason when I read this title I thought it said "Advice on Swinging." and I though the Nudists were back.

That one is pretty easy with a bowl and some ambition you can get somewhere.

OP
Archerichards

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Whats a "heavy needle"? It will take a 16 or 18 size denim or upholstery needle.
That's likely not heavy for a commercial machine. I don't know.

I guess the question would be; When you say "canvas", what is it you are talking about?
Are you talking about trying to sew a webbing stake loop to a 3 or 4 layer canvas corner seam in an outfitter style tent? If that's what your talking about, then I don't think the singer will cut it.
If your talking about sewing a canvas patch over a hole where there is maybe 3 layers max, then it would do it. Or one of them Cabela's type canvas tents, then you could probably sew everything.

Again, very helpful. Sewing denim and denim-like stuff is what I have in mind.

As you can tell, I dont really know very much about what I am asking about. But you are helping me narrow it down. Thanks.

And nope, not nudist here.

Marble

WKR

I have several friends that do that. It's like a constant shit show of grown women and men positioning to be on the right place with the right whatever...hilarious and gross.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Kenson

FNG
I got myself a Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl, which is not a machine I know, and mostly for small repairs but it was cheap and works great on heavy fabric. You could do larger projects with it but it would just take awhile.

Again, very helpful. Sewing denim and denim-like stuff is what I have in mind.

As you can tell, I dont really know very much about what I am asking about. But you are helping me narrow it down. Thanks.

And nope, not nudist here.

If it helps you any, I don't know much either. I was in your position and a friend had a Singer 500 and suggested that I could do what I wanted with a similar one. I bought it years ago and its done what I needed, making light weight scabbards, sewing in stove jacks, repairing gaiters, tents, my wife's horse blankets, goat panniers, making shooting bean bags, ect...
I've learned from grandma's and on my own. And I know less now than when I started.

I've also owned a few Speedy Stitchers. Aint nothing speedy about them. Good for making knife sheathes and other leather items, as well as repairing things on larger outfitter style canvas tents. They can do the waxed threads ect....

I find it useful to have a copper rivet setting kit and a tarp grommet kit as well. But them can be bought when needed, or after discovering the need for one.

I order much of my materials, webbing, ect... from Seattle Fabrics. No doubt there are other places, but that ones had much of what I've needed.