Alaskan Cruise

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
So my wife and I have never been on a cruise before. However, we both have expressed great interest in going on an Alaskan cruise, preferably around 9-11 days. It wouldnt be until 2025, but I want to start looking now. What should I look for? I know Norwegian has the drinks included and at times offers the 3rd passenger free. Are there any websites to look at for cheaper priced options vs. looking at the actual cruise line website? Thanks.

Cwsharer

FNG
I hated the Alaskan cruise we went on , stuck on the boat way too much and only let off at the ports with enough time to do the cruise sponsored trips and activities. Short Mexican cruises are the best. Not that you asked opinions haha! Just warning check itinerary

Big thing with Alaska is the time of year. One season is too cold, one is too rainy, and one has too many bugs (blackflies and no see ums will drain you). Check with a travel agent that specializes in cruises to find the best season. We went in August (only because it was our Anniversary), and it rained every day, and really foggy. All of the shore excursions were canceled. If you look at prices throughout the year, the highest price season will be the best season (weather considering). I would highly recommend booking a balcony.
On most cruises (Caribbean for instance), not much to see along the way, and the ports are the attraction. With an Alaskan Cruise, tons to see along the way to the ports (wildlife, bears, eagles, etc), and sitting on your balcony with cup of coffee and your binoculars is really enjoyable.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
We just returned from our first cruise. A seasoned cruise veteran we met recommended Vacationstogo.com as the source for booking cruise deals. I can tell you the drink and adder package we bought probably wasn't worth the price. Each port you visit will offer you opportunities to partake in excursions, which we did. This nominal added cost is worth it to visit the sites along the way. Ours was 7 days, and that was plenty for us.

CHSD

WKR
We loved our Alaskan cruise. Definitely get a balcony. IMO its worth the added cost.

I should add. We went deep sea fishing at one port and caught halibut which was amazing. Food was outstanding.

The best part of the trip was the glaciers. Watching them calve was something I will never forget.

I would recommend not doing a round trip as you spend more time on the boat and less time on each port. Plus you get to spend more time cruising the glaciers.

Last edited:

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
I hated the Alaskan cruise we went on , stuck on the boat way too much and only let off at the ports with enough time to do the cruise sponsored trips and activities. Short Mexican cruises are the best. Not that you asked opinions haha! Just warning check itinerary
I'll echo this, lots of time on the boat with not a lot to do due to weather, not enough time in port

We did one (wife and daughter) using royal Caribbean this last mid September. This is our 4th cruise and rally had a good time despite the rain every day. It was the tail end of the season and we work for a berry farm and can’t really go any earlier. I feel cruises are like Vegas. It is what you make it to be. We left out of Seattle which is 1.5hrs away from us, very nice not to fly and the boat was a newer one and very nice (all our royal cruises have been nice).

We got an upgraded suite on a balcony room which was worth it for me, just a little more room. I took my spotting scope and binos along and had a great time scoping the cost and saw tons of whales no other people saw because of this.

We stopped in icy straight point and I did the worlds longest zip line which was a rush, then played on the shoreline with my daughter in the pouring rain for another hour.

Sitka we did the fortress of the bears which is home to 3 black bears, 3 brown bears and 2 grizzlies. It was cool to get up close to all of them, especially the black bears which one for 100yds away.

Juneau was especially fun and we walked the tourist strip to kill some time, but booked a helicopter glacier tour which was an experience of a lifetime. It was the private tour so the pilot got choice of where he wanted to go on 2 glaciers. We got out and had 15 minutes or so on each one to check them out. We flew through clouds, sun, rain, rainbows, everything haha.

Last stop was Victoria, Canada which is right across the border and a ferry ride away so we opted to just stay on the boat and make our dinner reservation that night.

They had a skydiving simulator on the boat I did, laser tag and bumper cars every other night, lots of other misc activities and the night life for adults they take pretty seriously haha. Lots of music performances at all the bars, comedy shows, night club, etc.

I think if you could time it end of august or early September it would be a good time to go. If you book far enough in advance there’s deals almost everywhere. I think ours was discounted rates and our daughter was free. IMG_5483.jpegIMG_5487.jpegIMG_5485.jpegIMG_5453.jpegIMG_5296.jpeg

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Way to much to see in Alaska to do it from a boat. It really depends on what you like. A cruse is a relaxing way to see shore line. My family chose to fly there and put over 1,400 miles on a rental car over 9 days. We went non stop the first few days, but had a great time and saw a lot of Alaska.

TaperPin

WKR
On a cruise you’ll be on the boat with other people not from Alaska, which is ok.

On the other hand, the ferry has basic rooms, basic restaurants, and full of Alaskans from all over the state. I met many interesting people and wish I had kept in touch with them. Folks living in the villages are used to having visitors stay with them and are quite good hosts (there are no hotels off the road system).

You can still go on whatever tourist excursion fits the schedule, it’s just not packaged with the cruise. Watching a travel blog of the ferry system will show what’s normal for a trip this way.E9C50019-3497-40C1-910E-3157B07CFD73.png

Last edited:
We've done a Caribbean and Baha cruise before, neither of us was enthralled.

We did a 7 day Inside Passage last year. Round trip. Loved it.

Enough that we're doing a 1 way and then going to Denali for 4 days after this year.

We did get a balcony room last time, didn't use it. Spent a ton of time on the deck with binoculars.

We used Holland America, smaller ship so closer to the coast and glaicers. Food was good, but not mind blowing.

The drink package is worth it, with HA it's pretty cheap if you get it when you book. Includes a fancy dinner, some other credit, booze, fancy coffee, cokes... Even if you don't drink a lot. Dad and I never got drunk, wife and mama aren't big drinkers.

Do a cruise tour and if you can swing it 14 days or more. We did an 11 day (4 land, 7 cruise) and that wasn’t enough time on land.

We flew into Fairbanks and lodge hopped down to the coast with one stop in Denali.

We went with Princess cruise lines and had a fantastic time.

Skip the round trip cruise and do one way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tony

WKR
Been on 2 cruises, loved it.
I'd recommend you all try a typical Caribbean cruise first:
Cheaper, easier, will let you see if you like it.
We used Royal Caribbean and had zero issues.
They also typically have the largest ships and newest ships. You be trapped in a 1'000 to 1'400 foot long space with 5,000 to 7,000 other people.
With that buy the drink package and thank me later!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Most beautiful parts of Alaska are what you will see from the boat. Get off at ONE port, they are all the same. Fish once or twice. Go on a glacier excursion. Absolutely take the train affiliated with the cruise line to Denali, stay at their lodge a couple days taking the LONG bus tour and you will have had a complete and awesome experience. If you have an extra day, take a cheap flight to Kodiak and go with one of the air services on a bear watching trip. Been all over the state on a dozen different hunts. Did one sightseeing/fishing trip right out of college. Still trying to talk my wife into a cruise—she likes the tropics.

N.ID7803

WKR
The wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago, our first cruise. It was a great time. Check out Royal Caribbean, they have nice ships. Definitely, get a balcony room and try to go in late July or August. Ketchikan was our favorite port. Plan excursions for sure at every port. If you have FB jump on a boat/date specific page and you will gain tons of insight into cruising.

KBaird

FNG
Lots of ways to see Alaska. As a resident I would never recommend a major cruise line. They speed by everything in my area at 25mph and dump you off in a few locations where they own a majority of the businesses and sightseeing options. Some of the smaller cruise outfits offer a much more personal and up close look it seems. Or a much more customizable trip using the ferry system, renting a car and booking your own sightseeing/fishing trips with local businesses is what I tell friends to do.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all. We have a long ways until Aug. '25, but want to start the "looking" process now. I do not want to go on a carribean or other cruise, as I dont care to be around that many people. The Alaskan cruise is the only one I will get on, if we decide to do that. I like the fact of checking out other areas or staying on Alaska and doing my own "tour". Just figure the cruise would be easiest.

Rich M

WKR
Thanks all. We have a long ways until Aug. '25, but want to start the "looking" process now. I do not want to go on a carribean or other cruise, as I dont care to be around that many people. The Alaskan cruise is the only one I will get on, if we decide to do that. I like the fact of checking out other areas or staying on Alaska and doing my own "tour". Just figure the cruise would be easiest.

Taking a cruise kinda negates that, doesn't it? Cruise ships get jam packed with folks and everyone is jumping off at the same time to run around and do stuff before they need to get back on.

It is a nice deal for what you get, just know folks will be there.

Get a room with a balcony and make sure you are on the land side of the boat - lotsa scenics to see.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Been on two Alaskan cruise and the wife and I loved them both! Recommend going through Travelzoo to get a good deal. And others have correctly pointed out Alaska is BIG! Get in to at least Denali for a couple days minimum and recommend the glass top train from Denali back through Talkeetna.....beautiful!

Do a cruise tour and if you can swing it 14 days or more. We did an 11 day (4 land, 7 cruise) and that wasn’t enough time on land.

We flew into Fairbanks and lodge hopped down to the coast with one stop in Denali.

We went with Princess cruise lines and had a fantastic time.

Skip the round trip cruise and do one way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree 100% with the above statement. Do one way the round trip is where things get shortened up. We have been on two Alaska cruises. First with Princess second was with Noeweign, we included the drink packages and had balconey rooms on both. As stated there is alway a view when cruising Alaska. We left from Vancover got off in Whitter grab a SUV in Achorage and spent a week driving to Farebanks making all kinds of stops. Total was 14 days and I can't wait to do it again.

Use the AKMH unless you want more fancy stuff in the boat. get off in whittier or valdez get a car go explore for a week then fly home from anc. AKMH will be smaller boats and less people. When i moved up we put the truck on the ferry at bellingham and took it to haines to drive the rest of the way. The cruise up was alot of fun on the ak marine highway ships. One thing to check into is i dont think the ak marine highway has booze on the boats any more, pretty easy to get around that one though.