Alaskan Cruise

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why spend lots of money to get stuck on a boat eating all day with a bunch of dirty poor people? I went on a cruise once and it was easily one of the worst vacations I ever took.

If you do decide to do a cruise, do one where there no kids allowed on the boat. Also dont let them "upgrade" you to a room in the front of the boat.

Rent a car and make a road trip in AK.

Wife and I went on a Princess cruise to Alaska for our honeymoon nearly 20 years ago. We had a great time and I would definitely do it again. Princess caters to older people so the boat was very quiet. We went on a 7 round trip from Seattle.

Why spend lots of money to get stuck on a boat eating all day with a bunch of dirty poor people? I went on a cruise once and it was easily one of the worst vacations I ever took.

If you do decide to do a cruise, do one where there no kids allowed on the boat. Also dont let them "upgrade" you to a room in the front of the boat.

This, I’ve done the AK cruise but you’ll experience and see way more doing a road trip.

If you’re from WA I’d suggest driving the Alcan Hwy to AK. Cross at Sumas and head for Whitehorse. Once in Whitehorse drive down to Skagway or Haines, you could drive up to dawson city and ferry over the Yukon (this crossing is seasonal) and take the Taylor hwy down back to the alcan. From there you can be in Fairbanks in a few hours or in Valdez or Anchorage in 8 hours. The amount of game you will see on the trip will be way more than what you will see on cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty poor people? Do you have any idea how much an Alaskan cruise package costs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Dirty poor people? Do you have any idea how much an Alaskan cruise package costs?

Yeah I know the price. Alaskan cruises are breeding grounds for Covid 19, herpes and every other communicable disease. People who go on cruises are generally from the lower echelons of society and don’t have good hygiene standards.

The chances of getting me to pay for a ride on a puke boat is slim to none. However when I was working in se Alaska in 1976, there was a topless bar and laundramat just off where they land in Ketchkan. It made washing your clothes an adventure.

Yeah I know the price. Alaskan cruises are breeding grounds for Covid 19, herpes and every other communicable disease. People who go on cruises are generally from the lower echelons of society and don’t have good hygiene standards.

Maybe on Carnival or other budget cruise lines but Princess, Norwegian and Holland America are certainly not.

My wife and I have been on several cruises including an Alaskan cruise and none of what you claim has happened while on there, to us or any other guest that we were aware of.

“Lower eschelon” people as you refer to them aren’t paying $15-$20k for a cruise.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe on Carnival or other budget cruise lines but Princess, Norwegian and Holland America are certainly not.

My wife and I have been on several cruises including an Alaskan cruise and none of what you claim has happened while on there, to us or any other guest that we were aware of.

“Lower eschelon” people as you refer to them aren’t paying $15-$20k for a cruise.

I don’t know man, I’ve seen the type of folks that get off the ships in juneau, sitka etc.

gbflyer

WKR

You could easily go on a small ship tour for that kind of scratch. The lions share of cruisers are cheapskates. The staff are who he’s referring to I’m sure. Every store in Juneau makes crew check in their backpacks before they let them in.

So my wife and I have never been on a cruise before. However, we both have expressed great interest in going on an Alaskan cruise, preferably around 9-11 days. It wouldnt be until 2025, but I want to start looking now. What should I look for? I know Norwegian has the drinks included and at times offers the 3rd passenger free. Are there any websites to look at for cheaper priced options vs. looking at the actual cruise line website? Thanks.
Look at the how long each one is in port....some are not in port very long, hence it limits excursions. Also some cruise lines have priority in Glacier Bay and docks in port.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
I have some friends and family that have taken Alaskan cruises, and yes a balcony is a must if I am going. Also, planning on taking my 14yr old daughter. Im not too keen on the cruiseline hoopla, I rather sit on the balcony with binos, spotter, drink and cigar and just glass. LOL.
However, I am not opposed to just flying to Alaska and making my own scenic trip/tour, but have no idea what I am doing. We are more of a fly to Florida rent a home and just hangout by the pool/beach or go to all inclusive resort.

CHSD

WKR
I've got a question for people who say to rent a car and drive Alaska. Is there a way to see Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier? Glaciers are one reason we picked a cruise. Are there better options?

Htm84

WKR
I've got a question for people who say to rent a car and drive Alaska. Is there a way to see Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier? Glaciers are one reason we picked a cruise. Are there better options?
Glacier bay is only accessible by boat. Hubbard glacier looks like it’s near Yakutat. So that would be boat or plane only. Plenty of glaciers in the south central area. Some are real close to a road. Others take a pretty good hike in. You can take a day cruise out of Whittier or Seward to see all the glaciers that terminate into the ocean. Or you can take a flight tour.
My personal opinion.
1. Walk in
2. Flight
3. Cruise

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpeg
    IMG_4171.jpeg
    745.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    758.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    828.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4170.jpeg
    IMG_4170.jpeg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 8

gbflyer

WKR

If you want to see Glacier Bay and not be on a cruise ship, there are small ship cruises or there is the day boat that leaves from Bartlett Cove. Glacier Bay’s connection to the road system is the Alaska Marine Highway, which means a ferry ride to the town of Gustavus. The Hubbard Glacier is accessed from Yakutat, which is a ferry stop as well. There are day tours to see that one too. Tracy Arm is the best glacier viewing, and that is accessed from Juneau.

The cruise ship is cheaper and more convenient if your goal is SE glaciers. It could be done with a car but it’s a logistical nightmare.

No you cannot drive into Glacier Bay, the closet you can get is Haines, from there you could charter into the bay. If a ship gets to go into Glacier Bay, you’ll do a few spins before leaving again, you won’t be getting off of the boat there. In Juneau you can take a helicopter ride to Mendenhall Glacier where you can walk around for about an hour, I doubt you’d have enough time to hike to Mendenhall and back out before the ship leaves. You can also just look at Mendenhall from a distance. I haven’t been to Hubbard so can’t say much about that. There are a number of Glaciers you could stop and hike to or take a tour of if you drove. Some are going to have some kind of access fee, guide fee.

gbflyer

WKR
No you cannot drive into Glacier Bay, the closet you can get is Haines, from there you could charter into the bay. If a ship gets to go into Glacier Bay, you’ll do a few spins before leaving again, you won’t be getting off of the boat there. In Juneau you can take a helicopter ride to Mendenhall Glacier where you can walk around for about an hour, I doubt you’d have enough time to hike to Mendenhall and back out before the ship leaves. You can also just look at Mendenhall from a distance. I haven’t been to Hubbard so can’t say much about that. There are a number of Glaciers you could stop and hike to or take a tour of if you drove. Some are going to have some kind of access fee, guide fee.

Incorrect. The closest town to Glacier Bay is Gustavus. The ferry stops 2 times a week. You can drive to Bartlett Cove and get on the day boat.

Incorrect. The closest town to Glacier Bay is Gustavus. The ferry stops 2 times a week. You can drive to Bartlett Cove and get on the day boat.

Thanks for the correction, when I went through we just spun around a few times and left, but that was about 10 years ago.

tony

WKR
lol damn now I feel like I’m from a Charles Dickens novel. 18th century, mud covered street with my battered tin cup begging for another spoonful of cold gruel. “Please sir, can I have more.” :p

But he’s telling the truth, there are some shit bags on the boats. Thankfully they keep them down in the coal room. No chance of them escaping when we sink after hitting an ice burg on the way to Mexico.

Thanks all. We have a long ways until Aug. '25, but want to start the "looking" process now. I do not want to go on a carribean or other cruise, as I dont care to be around that many people. The Alaskan cruise is the only one I will get on, if we decide to do that. I like the fact of checking out other areas or staying on Alaska and doing my own "tour". Just figure the cruise would be easiest.
Wife has ours narrowed down to princess or holland in 24’. Both seem to be decent from reviews and similarly priced. Still expensive in my mind but I think that means a rifle and can in the future too if she can burn that in one week.