Alaskan moose transport question?

PA Hunter

WKR
Will two deboned out Alaskan moose boxed up frozen with antlers fit in the back of a 2017 Ram shortbed truck.

Trying to decide for next year if i can fly all meat home on plane with me leave truck at airport & fit everything in truck.

Or do i use the refridgerated trucking service and take my traiker to pick up from meeting point?

Of course i will have hunting gear for two also for a ten day drop hunt aling as well. Only reason im asking is friend wants to borrow my trailer for his hunt at the time i may need it if they wont fit in my pickup.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
Will two deboned out Alaskan moose boxed up frozen with antlers fit in the back of a 2017 Ram shortbed truck.

Trying to decide for next year if i can fly all meat home on plane with me leave truck at airport & fit everything in truck.

Or do i use the refridgerated trucking service and take my traiker to pick up from meeting point?

Of course i will have hunting gear for two also for a ten day drop hunt aling as well. Only reason im asking is friend wants to borrow my trailer for his hunt at the time i may need it if they wont fit in my pickup.

I forgot to mention i have a highback shell on the truck bed.

EastMT

WKR

I used this guy to ship stuff south, he’s right by the ANC airport, has a walk in freezer, will hold and ship it to meet you on certain dates etc, very professional, knows what he’s doing.

I have no affiliation with him, but easiest shipping I’ve ever dealt with. Goes right to a big airport near you

aac4b6fe26acc66bfb0742adcc3fa6db.jpg

If the wind doesn’t blow, take to the oars.

Last edited:

VernAK

WKR
For you consideration:

Very large [60"] moose will bone out to 600 pounds of meat. I weighed a cape last year at 82 pounds. Two large racks require a lot of space.

Exhaust systems can heat up the truck bed.

AKBorn

WKR
For you consideration:

Very large [60"] moose will bone out to 600 pounds of meat. I weighed a cape last year at 82 pounds. Two large racks require a lot of space.

Vern,

How did you guys' trip go?

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
For you consideration:

Yeah im only an hour from airport just wondering with space.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I used this guy to shop stuff south, he’s right by the ANC airport, has a walk in freezer, will hold and ship it to meet you on certain dates etc, very professional, knows what he’s doing.

I have no affiliation with him, but easiest shipping I’ve ever dealt with. Goes right to a big airport near you

Yeah i think this is who i was looking at using but he only comes to like Cleveland Ohio i live Eastern Pennsylvania. I talked with him last year. Just wondering if two would fit in my truck. About 8 hour ride to my house from his closest drop.

EastMT

WKR
Yeah i think this is who i was looking at using but he only comes to like Cleveland Ohio i live Eastern Pennsylvania. I talked with him last year. Just wondering if two would fit in my truck. About 8 hour ride to my house from his closest drop.

There’s one that does a refer truck run across the country, that’s not thus guy. This one does air freight. It gets put in a freezer in Seattle as well I believe.

Wapiti1

WKR
Oh then this is different. Thanks
Nick freezes it and then ships air freight on Alaskan Air to the lower 48. Or however you need it shipped. Good guy and easy to work with.

He’ll also pickup at the transporter in Anchorage or the valley if you fly the meat out early.
Jeremy

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
I used this guy to shop stuff south, he’s right by the ANC airport, has a walk in freezer, will hold and ship it to meet you on certain dates etc, very professional, knows what he’s doing.

Your going to be close. Call a meat processor up their on average number and size of boxes for a mature Bull. Do you have a hitch hauler to put in your 2in receiver? I’ve used Indian Valley Meats up in Anchorage and they will give you the answer you need. Here is there number (907) 653-7511.

OP
P

PA Hunter

WKR
Your going to be close. Call a meat processor up their on average number and size of boxes for a mature Bull. Do you have a hitch hauler to put in your 2in receiver? I’ve used Indian Valley Meats up in Anchorage and they will give you the answer you need. Here is there number (907) 653-7511.

I have an enclosed trailer but i was gonna loan it to a friend for his hunt but its tge same time i may have to pick my meat up so now im thinking i may need it? Just trying to think of everything beforehand. Thank you for the phone number.

Last fall I fit 2 1/2 mature moose, bone in (no racks) in my Tacoma and drove 6 hours. Racks would have been strapped to the roof. I’m sure that boned out meat will fit in your truck bed.

Last week we put 3 boned out caribou, one boned out moose, gear, 4 caribou racks and a moose rack in my Tacoma with a shell. She was tight but it all fit.

Voyageur

WKR
Nick freezes it and then ships air freight on Alaskan Air to the lower 48. Or however you need it shipped. Good guy and easy to work with.

He’ll also pickup at the transporter in Anchorage or the valley if you fly the meat out early.
Jeremy
Couldn’t agree more. Used Nick last year. Can’t remember price but it was very reasonable and I remember being surprised it wasn’t more expensive.

wolfpup

FNG
I didn't use Nick for my moose, because the closest alaskan air travels to me is 3 hours and I have to drive in a big city. Hate city driving. I did it the expensive way. Shipped my rack fedex freight which costs 760.00. Beginning of the week, my friend will ship most of the meat via ups, or fedex, or usps. Depending on which is cheaper. I have it packed into 6 insulated shipping boxes that weigh approximately 65lbs. The rest of the meat I'll let my buddy have since he helped me out so much. I'm sure it'll be well over 1,000 to ship to central Pa. If I had to do it over again, I would use Alaska Trophy Express. I didn't book with them because of Covid in case they couldn't drive through Canada. My mistake. Lesson learned if I ever go again.

Wrap your rack in plastic wrap, then duct tape. That it home as luggage on your plane. I’ve done a dozen this fall and all safely arrived at their destination for the price of an extra bag on the airline.