All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

Still not sold on hybrid trucks considering the length of time I keep them. Not bad looking, but I’d be interested to know how resistant to small stream crossing those batteries are.

brocksw

WKR
Still not sold on hybrid trucks considering the length of time I keep them. Not bad looking, but I’d be interested to know how resistant to small stream crossing those batteries are.
Im not 100% certain, but I believe the battery for the hybrids will be located in the cab under the rear seat. I could be misunderstanding something here and the battery is actually mounted externally under the rear seat with the same loss of under seat storage on hybrid models. Again, I'm not 100% clear on this.

mproberts

WKR
In the last two decades large second row cab trucks went from being the exception to the norm, that should tell you all you need to know about where the truck market is trending.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Many of us haul some, but don't need a full-on beast.
I carry a lightweight pop-up truck camper, pull a Lund walleye boat, small stock trailer....haul hay every Summer. Nothing crazy enough to warrant a 3/4 ton. Simply don't want anything that big. I have air bagged every truck I"ve owned in the last 15 years just for stability and ride.

But....still need reliability, fuel economy, resale and an all-around comfortable rig.
Toyota has always delivered everything needed except for that loathsome fuel economy.
The '22 should be the ticket.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
Many of us haul some, but don't need a full-on beasts.
I carry a lightweight pop-up truck camper, pull a Lund walleye boat, small stock trailer....haul hay every Summer. Nothing crazy enough to warrant a 3/4 ton. Simply don't want anything that big. I have air bagged every truck I"ve owned in the last 15 years just for stability and ride.

But....still need reliability, fuel economy, resale and an all-around comfortable rig.
Toyota has always delivered everything needed except for that loathsome fuel economy.
The '22 should be the ticket.
Yep I agree that’s about all I would haul around . When I had a camper to jerk all over I had a 3/4 ton. Right tool for the right job. To many people want one tool to do all the jobs. Working at menards for a while I got to see all kinds of crazy stuff. The guy who had me load a pallet of shingles in his Chevy luv was the show stopper haha

ODB

WKR
No one buys a half ton to tow or haul real loads with the 3/4 ton options it wouldn’t make sense.

Yup. If I’m straight-up towing, I’m using a Duramax with the Allison transmission. Just like the 5 our family business used. Zero issues hauling 7-10k lb trailers 300+ days a year for a decade.

CoStick

WKR
I am guessing 95% of TRDs haven’t gone off road but people still buy them. Light payload or not, we will see many on the road.

Why would you get a truck if you don't use the truck part of it?

There are many things in this world that are more conveniently placed in a pickup bed than inside a cab but also dont weigh 2000 lb.

I agree, the payload thing is a head scratcher but it doesn't mean many people wont find them useful for their needs.

Why would you get a truck if you don't use the truck part of it?
the truck part of it? like the bed?

i tow with both of our pickups, but when i didn't really have any towing needs, i always had pickups, because they are far more practical than anything else for someone like me who is in the woods, on the river, or ocean every day.... i have had a couple 4runners, and a couple jeeps, but having a bed is absolutely necessary for me, even if i never towed anything.

i wouldn't own anything but a pickup for my personal rig, even if i never towed anything. i have had several pickups that couldn't tow, but were great rigs for my needs.... for a straight up woods rig, i don't think there is anything better than a standard cab 89-95' toyota pickup with the 22re, and they can barely drag me up the passes.... super practical pickups, not made to tow, and really are terrible trying to tow anything... they are about maxed out with a 16' fiberglass drift boat.

my current pickup that i drive can tow pretty well for a little pickup, but that's not why i got it, and that's certainly not what they are made for, but there is no better vehicle in production for my needs, period.

towing is far from the only practical application for a pickup. i agree with you if we were talking about 3/4 tons and 1 tons, but there are lots of us who need a pickup, towing or not.