All New 2022 Tundra Leaked.....

After watching the TFL clip with the Tundra Head Engineer there's two things that jump out at me that I don't like.
  • Electric power steering
  • Multilink rear suspension
Coming from owning 3/4 ton pickups for the past 15 years I just don't feel those two things will hold up and be all that durable.

I don't know what to think about the engine options simply because the twin turbo setups from other manufacturers have been riddled with issues simply because of high exhaust gas temperatures when actually working the motor. Hopefully Toyota has taken care of the durability issues and have a bulletproof engine like they typically develop.

I'll be trying one out in the near future for sure.

Jim2914

FNG
Still can not put a snow plow on it. No software override for the crash avoidance system in the grill.

After watching the TFL clip with the Tundra Head Engineer there's two things that jump out at me that I don't like.
Coming from owning 3/4 ton pickups for the past 15 years I just don't feel those two things will hold up and be all that durable.

I don't know what to think about the engine options simply because the twin turbo setups from other manufacturers have been riddled with issues simply because of high exhaust gas temperatures when actually working the motor. Hopefully Toyota has taken care of the durability issues and have a bulletproof engine like they typically develop.

Electric power steering has been around a long time and been proven plenty reliable. Fords twin turbos EB have been the number one sold pickup for years, Turbos aren’t an issue if done properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric power steering has been around a long time and been proven plenty reliable. Fords twin turbos EB have been the number one sold pickup for years, Turbos aren’t an issue if done properly.

There's a reason that heavy duty pickups don't implement electric power steering and use antiquated hydraulic power steering instead. Not saying its not reliable as I currently own two vehicles that have it, just saying its not something that I want on a truck.

Just because they sell a metric ton of Ecoboost's doesn't mean that they don't have issues. I know of two different friends that had them and had to get rid of them because of the different issues. They went with the 5.0 coyote motor instead and have had zero issues. You won't have to search the interweb much to find them, just look for "timing chain",and "head gasket", just to name a few. You'll have plenty of reading material.

There's a reason that heavy duty pickups don't implement electric power steering and use antiquated hydraulic power steering instead. Not saying its not reliable as I currently own two vehicles that have it, just saying its not something that I want on a truck.

Just because they sell a metric ton of Ecoboost's doesn't mean that they don't have issues. I know of two different friends that had them and had to get rid of them because of the different issues. They went with the 5.0 coyote motor instead and have had zero issues. You won't have to search the interweb much to find them, just look for "timing chain",and "head gasket", just to name a few. You'll have plenty of reading material.

When you sell a million trucks and 3/4 have the EB, you’re going to have some people complain about them on the internet….

My best friend is the service manager at one of the largest Ford dealers in the north east he drives a 5yr old EB every day for his 80 mile commute. If they were such a problem he would not only know about it, he probably wouldn’t own one.

I hear the Turbos in trucks are fine, as long as you drive them like a car. Use them like a truck and I believe that is where your issues come from. Turbos have been in cars for a long time. I just don’t think they can handle the stress of actual truck duty

I hear the Turbos in trucks are fine, as long as you drive them like a car. Use them like a truck and I believe that is where your issues come from. Turbos have been in cars for a long time. I just don’t think they can handle the stress of actual truck duty

Lol, 99% of commercial trucks have turbos.

KurtR

WKR

Multi link suspension have been used for racing and beat up way harder than anyone in a regular vehicle will ever thing of. My brother builds shocks and suspension for a living the one thing he did tell me is stick with the billsteins way better quality than the fox.

Beendare

WKR
Turbos; Toyotas claim is that they addressed to high heat problem of turbos with the redesign. The engineer described it in that one vid; coolant surrounding the intake for cooler/ denser air entering the intake and more cooling surrounding the turbo itself.

The commercial Turbo diesel motors have this extra cooling at these high heat points down and have little to no problems- so it can be done.

My bet is that the Toyota engineers nailed it, partially because they had the Ford eco-boost motor heat issues to learn from.

The Toy hybrid system is pretty close to what Ford did. Toy didnt completely redesign their tranny…but squeezed the E motor into the torque converter Which had to be less expensive engineering than redesigning the entire transmission.

Any engineers or info out there that quantifies which hybrid system is more efficient?

Multi link suspension have been used for racing and beat up way harder than anyone in a regular vehicle will ever thing of. My brother builds shocks and suspension for a living the one thing he did tell me is stick with the billsteins way better quality than the fox.
I just worry about the Multi link when you introduce heavy loads onto them. I know on the racing side of things they are more than proven but I just wonder about heavy payloads and what that can do when you introduce more moving parts.

The dual stage coil springs that the 22' Tundra has will probably alleviate any issues hopefully.

What’s different? It’s power on command. Forced induction is the most efficient way to make power in an internal combustible engine.

RPM's are the difference.

More RPM's = heat with a turbo. One reason the Ecoboost has such a low redline of 5800rpm's is to keep EGT's at bay. The other is because of the flat torque curve that the Ecoboost has.

Maverick1

WKR
Cool. I’ll consider buying one in 5-10 years after everyone else works out the bugs and take the depreciation hit. Lol. (Spend your money how YOU want, I’ll spend MY money how I want!)

A year ago I purchased a new-to-me 2007 V8 4Runner with 100k miles. Installed a lift kit and bigger tires. Took it on the Forrest service roads the last two seasons and took it places I didn’t know was possible. Very impressed! I’ll be keeping that vehicle for a long time!

Cool. I’ll consider buying one in 5-10 years after everyone else works out the bugs and take the depreciation hit. Lol. (Spend your money how YOU want, I’ll spend MY money how I want!)

A year ago I purchased a new-to-me 2007 V8 4Runner with 100k miles. Installed a lift kit and bigger tires. Took it on the Forrest service roads the last two seasons and took it places I didn’t know was possible. Very impressed! I’ll be keeping that vehicle for a long time!

Depreciation hit? It's 2021, vehicles appreciate now ;)

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Have an '08 Toyota Yaris that I use a beater, bought it for almost nothing off of the Washington Hunting Forum.
It's been a great car and the best thing about it is the electric power steering. Love it! No belts or pumps....solid, quiet and responsive. I didn't know the '22 Tundra had it, but I'm looking forward to learning more.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Really disappointed to read that Toyota decided to completely do away with the bench seat/column shift configuration in the '22.
There are many families that like the wide across seating, surprised that Toyota didn't accommodate. This will hurt them with families with four kids. Ford, Chevy will appreciate their $.

KurtR

WKR
Really disappointed to read that Toyota decided to completely do away with the bench seat/column shift configuration in the '22.
There are many families that like the wide across seating, surprised that Toyota didn't accommodate. This will hurt them with families with four kids. Ford, Chevy will appreciate their $.
With a bench seat how you fitting four kids comfortably in a pick up? I’m guessing they are a pretty small segment as mini vans and suvs fit that bill way better.