Alternative .223 powder

robtattoo

WKR
I've never loaded anything but Varget for any .223/5.56. All loads, all rifles, all bullet weights, I've always loaded pretty much the same powder quantity & it's been across the board accurate. 24gn just seems to work!
However, in these times of strife & woe (which I imagine are only going to get worse...) I cannot find any. Anywhere. Same with cfe223, 8208 or any of the well known & published powders.

I do have a few pounds of old IMR4320 that came with a .458 win mag which, looking at the burn rate charts, is just a hair slower than Varget & I would imagine is suitable. I know I'll have to work up a load (suuuuuuucks!) but I have it & I don't use it for anything else.

Anyone loaded it before? Any 'easy-fix, works-in-everything' loads to try? I'm not looking for match winning, long range benchrest accuracy, just average hunting to 300yds (1.5moa is fine) accuracy.

AA2200 works great for 5.56 and for 6.8spc...pretty much all I use in AR platforms. Plus it's around found some more a few weeks ago.

Buddy uses 4320 for his 223, BA...he loves it..he is gonna be heart broken when he uses up his last 8lb jug..lol

I've never loaded anything but Varget for any .223/5.56. All loads, all rifles, all bullet weights, I've always loaded pretty much the same powder quantity & it's been across the board accurate. 24gn just seems to work!
However, in these times of strife & woe (which I imagine are only going to get worse...) I cannot find any. Anywhere. Same with cfe223, 8208 or any of the well known & published powders.

I do have a few pounds of old IMR4320 that came with a .458 win mag which, looking at the burn rate charts, is just a hair slower than Varget & I would imagine is suitable. I know I'll have to work up a load (suuuuuuucks!) but I have it & I don't use it for anything else.

Anyone loaded it before? Any 'easy-fix, works-in-everything' loads to try? I'm not looking for match winning, long range benchrest accuracy, just average hunting to 300yds (1.5moa is fine) accuracy.
Natchez has Tac, LT32 and Accurate 2230 in stock. They also have 2520 if you push the heavies.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m about to find out how tac works. Been very available.

Buddy I load for needed powder and that’s all that’s been readily available

Iv heard AR comp, 4166, and shooters world precision are decent Varget replacements as well.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I also put myself on several notification lists (and probably a couple of watchlists....) for 8lb jugs of Varget (🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣)

FLS

WKR
I'm on my second 8 pound jug of TAC. Great 223 powder. Meters really well in a progressive press.
I do like Varget under a 75 gr ELDM.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wow. That's the first time I've seen Tac in stock for a while! Ordered 3lb right then. If my .223s don't like it, I have a .358 that adores it!
When did Natchez change their policy of not shipping to in- state addresses? When I was a dealer going through them they wouldn't sell directly to customers in TN,GA,or AL. They didn't want to compete directly with their dealers. Times have changed if they are shipping in state now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I also put myself on several notification lists (and probably a couple of watchlists....) for 8lb jugs of Varget ()
I know a shop down that way that gets it in fairly regularly. Mostly 1lb cans though, pretty rare for them to get an 8lber.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
When did Natchez change their policy of not shipping to in- state addresses? When I was a dealer going through them they wouldn't sell directly to customers in TN,GA,or AL. They didn't want to compete directly with their dealers. Times have changed if they are shipping in state now.

They haven't, unfortunately. I had to have it shipped to a buddy in Southern IN. We see each other every week though. Not the first time I've had to use his transport services!

I have had good luck with Ar-comp and shooters world precision. Ar-comp is harder then varget to find currently. But could be other options if you see them around.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I'm really hoping I can work up a really quick couple of loads with the Tac. One for 65s (my general plinking/hog/varmint load) & another for 77tmks. A single, universal load again would be the ideal!

My Varget load shoots both bullets to within .25" of each other at 100yds. I'm zeroed for the 77s, but out to 300,I know they'll both do the job.

Sandstrom

WKR
One powered not mentioned was Vihtavouri N540. I have not used it yet, but bought some when I could find nothing else. It seems to have a bit of a following. Sounds like it is accurate, but is a bit temp sensitive.
Ryan

Tac was my first thought as well upon the initial post. You might find it convenient for smooth metering and avoiding compressed loads that frequently accompany varget.