Alternatives to VX-3HD 2.5-8x36

Backstory: For the last 15yrs I’ve been “long range” everything. My rifles are all custom Impacts and NF 7-35 and 5-25. I’ve had zero interest in shooting anything inside 300yds. I’ve wanted to get back to stand hunting the way my Dad and I did when I was growing up. I’ve set up a different hunting spot where I will be hunting from a stand. To add to this change of direction, I just did something I thought I’d never do. I bought a Henry lever action 30-30 (a chambering I’ve never had a single positive thing to say about). My immediate thought was to put a Leupold VX3 2-ish to 10-ish something on this rifle. I now see that Leupold doesn’t offer this optic anymore with capped/non adjustable turrets. I do not want adjustable turrets on this rifle (something I never thought I’d say). Shots will be less than 200yds. I need the scope to be 12” or less. Capped turrets. Second focal plane. 40mm or less on the objective end. Scope needs to be short and slim. I do NOT want a fixed power optic. Anything $1000 or less is fine. Any help with options would be appreciated. I just haven’t looked for an optic like this in 15yrs and I don’t know what all is available now days. I’m sure there are brands I haven’t even heard of. I don’t mind buying a used optic from someone here either. Always had good luck buying and selling here.

Thanks in advance.

Dbevans

Lil-Rokslider
If you can be a little less strict on the length requirement you can get the maven rs.2 for $550. It is 12.4 inches, 13 oz, and is a 2-10x38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trevor73402
If you can be a little less strict on the length requirement you can get the maven rs.2 for $550. It is 12.4 inches, 13 oz, and is a 2-10x38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will give it a look. I just read up on some of the scope evals from Form. Looks like I’ll be staying away from the VX-3HD.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ll throw in another vote for the Maven mentioned above, I have one on a Model seven. My favorite light weight is a Swaro z3 3-9x36 but that would take you into the next price range.

Leupolds get hammered on here but I must be fortunate, I’ve never had that experience. There’s one of the 2.5-8’s on my wife’s 243, she prefers it over anything else she looked through and we’ve never had any issues.

Another vote for the Maven, probably my favorite scope on a rifle right now and a steal at that price. Or find yourself a used older Var-x III in gloss for that lever gun.

xsn10s

WKR
I have a VariXIII 2.5-8 matte mildot version. I got the idea from an old Chuck Mawhinney article and traded for it over twenty years ago. It's been a great scope for my 30-06. It doesn't fit my needs anymore since I dial more and more, but I can't seem to get rid of it. It would be hard to replace the glass for the price.

xsn10s

WKR
On my Marlin Century Limited III I had a Leupold 1.5-5x for an Alaska hunt. I switched it to a fixed 2X Leupold. shots with that scope on targets hasn't been a problem out to 300 yards.

t_carlson

WKR
Leupold is probably just fine for what you describe.

But to answer your question, a Burris FFII 2-7x35 is my choice.

BLJ

WKR
Trijicon Credo 3-9x40. Will be all those things with a sneaky ability to dial or use a subtle reticle if needed.

This is the scope I was going to recommend and will be the next one I buy. (Red Mil-Square Reticle).

Macintosh

WKR
I just purchased a trijicon credo 3-9 to try based on folks experiences relayed on this site. I havent mounted it yet, but the glass appears good, very comparable to what youd get in similar price leupold. My wife has a 2.5-8 vx3 on her rifle, this scope is a touch bigger but its still small enough it won't be out of place on your 30-30. If you want a really small profile perhaps also look at some of the 1-4ish x 24 scopes?

Or (GASP) what about a good peep sight and use irons??!

Swaro Z3 3-9x36 is the route I plan to go if I cant find a used vx3 2.5-8x38 when and if
i need this type scope. So far I have been able to source them from the used market.

I wouldn't shy away from a good used VX2 2-7x36. They were dang nice scopes.

Currently my levers in 30/30 and .444 both wear VX3 1.5-5x20 scopes. I find those scopes work great for me for ranges I would be shooting those chamberings.

Marshfly

WKR
First thing, try the Leverevolution rounds in your 30-30. My Marlin will group those below 1.5MOA. They are awesome.

Second. Trijicon Huron 2.5-10x40 or Credo 1-8x28 or 3-9x36.

I run a 1-6 power on my 30-30. More than enough for that cartridge.

I know you said no fixed powers but fixed 4x scoped are made for lever rifles. Haha.