"Altitude Supplements"

DocH

FNG
Not sure if these have been discussed or not, but I was wondering if the altitude supplements like Ascent from Mtn Ops or Altitude Adjustment by Wilderness Athlete are really worth it. I'm a flat lander looking for any help with the altitude adjustment, as I usually get a constant headache for the first 3 days in the mountains. Thanks in advance for your advice.

I plan on giving Ascent a try this Saturday on Quandary Peak (14er). I usually get a little light headed once over 13k or so. I will update once I have results.

Remember, headache is also a symptom of dehydration, and it's pretty dry out here. Be sure to get plenty of fluids and electrolytes.

Poser

WKR
Beet Juice, which you can get in dehydrated form, has been shows to help somewhat with acclimatization.

bates

WKR
I live in Florida and have taken both and felt great at altitude no issues.

I also recommend lots of water and maybe some endoro or hydrate n recovery

OP
DocH

DocH

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I really try to stay hydrated, but maybe I'm still not drinking enough.

Thanks for the responses. I really try to stay hydrated, but maybe I'm still not drinking enough.

Some people just don't react well. Also, make sure you're getting electrolytes also. Aron Snyder does an emergen-C packet in the morning; I prefer to add Mio to my water for taste. Either way, most of the water at high altitude has little to no minerals in it.