Ammo choice for 12ga upland hunting

What ammo are y'all using in your 12ga for upland hunting? Shot size, brand, etc. I have a Mossberg 500 that can run up to 3in shells and I'm looking for some advice on what to use for some late season pheasant and grouse hunting in about two weeks. I've shot a lot of skeet and trap but, other than turkey, I have limited bird hunting experience so any advice you have would be really helpful.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot solely 2 3/4” shells for pheasants, haven’t found a need to go to 3”. Later in the year for wild birds I’m normally going with a 1 1/4oz #5 in the ~1300 fps range. I don’t really care for the high velocity 1400-1500fps stuff, it doesn’t pattern as well for me and if you’re shooting lead or other higher density shot you don’t really need that like you do with steel.

We have pen raised pheasants as well, when I’m hunting planted birds I’ll go down to a #7 since they tend to hold tighter and end up with closer flushes.

t_carlson

WKR
As an all-around upland load, I'd say 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz #6 shot. Most brands will do fine, just make sure you get high antimony or copper plated shot.

But for late season pheasants, when they get spooky and have grown more feathers, 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz of #4 are hard to beat. I like the copper plated stuff from Federal.

WKR
Used some Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 2 3/4" loads last 2 falls. They did well on wild pheasants recently. I used 5 shot. If I was hunting an area with more quail than pheasants I may go to 6 shot.

1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz of #5 or 6 lead is all you need. If non tox is required 1 1/16 or 1 1/8 of steel 4s. 2 3/4” on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
If your 12 gauge is your only option, I get it. If you have a 20 gauge, I’d go with it. I’d agree with #5 or #6 for pheasant, but you could also go smaller. For smaller birds I’d definitely go smaller, and not bigger than 7 and 1/2 for quail (but not a 12 gauge). 2 and 3/4 over 3”, and low brass over high.

I do a lot of upland hunting. Mostly ruff grouse, but have done hunts all over for sharpies, pheasant, blue grouse, quail, huns, ptarmigan, wood cock, etc.

For 12 ga:

For grouse I like 1 or 1.25 ounce 3.25 dram #6's. Later in the year I'll bump up to 3.75 dram.
For smaller birds I go 1 ounce #7.5
For pheasants I go 1.25 ounce, 3.75 dram #5's for hunting over flushers in early season, and the same load of 4's for late season or while blocking.

Overall I tend to use larger pellets than most, and I look for high high antimony shot. Larger pellets hit with more authority on oblique angles to vital areas, and there's less of them to pepper the meat if the shots are a little close or the pattern is a little tight.

jmez

WKR
1 1/4 6's. Plenty for pheasant and grouse. Sharptails are not hard to kill or knock down. You just shoot in their general direction and they go down.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

OP
S
I picked up two boxes of Kent Ultimate Fast Lead 12ga. 2-3/4in, 1-1/4oz, #6 shot, 1345fps on my way home tonight. I wanted #5 but they only had #6 1-1/4oz or #4 1-3/8oz for an affordable price. From all your responses, it seems like 1-1/4oz is is preferred by most and #6 vs #4 looks pretty 50/50 in recommendations. If they pattern well I should be good to go right?

I have shot Federal Prarie Storm 2 3/4 #5 out of a 12ga for many years, this year I bought a case of Kent Fastlead 2 3/4 #5 and really enjoyed it plus its a few bucks cheaper a box. My best advice would be to get your hands on several boxes of high brass upland ammo, and shoot until your guns empty.

yfarm

WKR
Have used Remington heavy dove loads 1 1/8 oz of 6s for pheasants for years same load in 8s for quail and doves. in my youth hunting with a flushing dog would use 4s or 2s for late season wild flushing birds, in retrospect don’t think it mattered much. With a gsp now the process is different now and 6s are all I need. Buy case lots for dove season and always buy 1 case of 6s. Bought a case of Fiocci Golden Pheasant 3” 20 1 1/4oz of 5s for my son to use, at least 1 shell out of every box misfires shooting a Citori or Superposed. Friend, long term bird hunter says what do expect with that brand. See on trap forums multiple reports of ftf with Fiocci gray box primers and Fiocci acknowleged the problem. Said to return the primers. Supposedly a harder metal used for the primer. Any body else have that experience?

Last edited:
Federal Prairie Storm 2.75 inch #5 shot has worked very well for me. However, I have found it very difficult to find.