An unexpected surprise - spend my money

I've been looking to upgrade my binoculars this spring as I have "made do" with a very entry level pair for years and a potential western hunt this August will demand much better optics.

After the recent passing of my grandfather, I learned he left each of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren $1000 to spend on themselves.

Given my grandfather was one of the biggest reasons I got into hunting in the first place, putting the money towards my optics purchase makes sense.

Before I was aware of this money, I was looking at the Nikon Monarch AG 10 x 42. With the money now available, I'm very tempted by the Swarovski SLC 10 x 42 as an optic that might last the remainder of my hunting career. I'm in Canada so the Nikons run about $1500 and the Swarovski around $2200.

Any advice appreciated - and I haven't yet actually looked through either of them.

Tod osier

WKR
I've been looking to upgrade my binoculars this spring as I have "made do" with a very entry level pair for years and a potential western hunt this August will demand much better optics.

After the recent passing of my grandfather, I learned he left each of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren $1000 to spend on themselves.

Given my grandfather was one of the biggest reasons I got into hunting in the first place, putting the money towards my optics purchase makes sense.

Before I was aware of this money, I was looking at the Nikon Monarch AG 10 x 42. With the money now available, I'm very tempted by the Swarovski SLC 10 x 42 as an optic that might last the remainder of my hunting career. I'm in Canada so the Nikons run about $1500 and the Swarovski around $2200.

Any advice appreciated - and I haven't yet actually looked through either of them.

I'd for sure try to extend to get the alpha glass that will last a lifetime and serve as a great reminder of your gramps.

WKR
I must be hard as hell on stuff. I buy binos and in a few to 5 years, the lenses are trashed from all the dust I deal with when scouting and hunting. Kind of settled on mid range stuff as a result. If my life will exceed another 5 years, I'll be needing more binos.

Fatcamp

WKR
Alpha glass that lasted years would be a great way to keep him close.

Great idea.

Rich M

WKR
Look thru a bunch of glass and see what works best for your eyes. Don't get alpha glass unless it is truly the best and most comfortable for you. I have a pair of binoculars that is great for me and they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Be a nice way to remember Gramps.

Axlrod

WKR
I'm going on 11 years with SLC 10x42 BEST thing I have ever bought for hunting. I bought them at the local sport shop, when i asked the owner about them he said he had never had anyone that bought them tell him they had any regret.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
A high-end binocular is a really cool way to remember your Grandfather.

Another vote for the SLC's. They are my most valued piece of gear.

Having said that, the Meopta's cost almost exactly what you are inheriting (in USD), and are really good glass.

Definitely get the Swarovski! The SLC are fantastic binos. Pick up a used set if you can find some.

OP
B
Put down my money today on a pair of Swarovski SLC 8 x 42 binoculars - thanks to everyone for the feedback, definitely helped solidify my decision.

I knew I would always regret it if I "settled" on this one so I said ^%$ it and bought the Swaros.