Scope Recommendation for my son's Tikka that's not an SWFA

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Ordered a Trijicon 2.5-15x42 Credo late last night to have it in hand. Can always return or sell on here.
This rifle will be setup for him to use until he is out of the house, whenever that is for a 13yo.
I honestly don't love the idea of exposed windage turrets and no solid zero stop on a hunting rifle that comes with the SWFA scopes but was willing to deal with it to have something super simple in a fixed power.
This setup will be a lifetime rifle with a lifetime optic.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Leupolds get a bad rap here, either of these would solve your problem for a reasonable price

Fixed Leupolds
I would not trust a Leupold to dial for a second. Fixed on a lever action, sure. Dial at a pronghorn, no way.
I grew up in eastern deer camps with Leupolds scattered like candy. Every single one needed a trip to the range before the season to "check zero" always with some kind of tweaking.

And the tapping of the turrets... LOL. WTF!

nobody

WKR
Fixed 10x is a terrible setup for general western big game hunting. Hard no.
Have you ever used the fixed 10x? Not trying to be argumentative, but I’ve got one mounted right now on a rifle that I would take on a hunt next week if needed. I live smack in the middle of “the west” and am an unapologetic western hunter, never even seen a whitetail or a hog on the hoof.

Admittedly, the 6x would be more ideal if you end up shooting anything at super close range, but the 10x doesn’t hinder me in the slightest with target acquisition or watching impacts through the optic. To say it’s a “terrible option” is illogical, as it all depends on the terrain you’re hunting and the distances you’re shooting at.

At the current available price, you could buy it, use it for the season, and then sell it for a small loss at the end of season. It’s better than putting an unreliable optic on your son’s rifle I would think…

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Have you ever used the fixed 10x? Not trying to be argumentative, but I’ve got one mounted right now on a rifle that I would take on a hunt next week if needed. I live smack in the middle of “the west” and am an unapologetic western hunter, never even seen a whitetail or a hog on the hoof.

Admittedly, the 6x would be more ideal if you end up shooting anything at super close range, but the 10x doesn’t hinder me in the slightest with target acquisition or watching impacts through the optic. To say it’s a “terrible option” is illogical, as it all depends on the terrain you’re hunting and the distances you’re shooting at.

At the current available price, you could buy it, use it for the season, and then sell it for a small loss at the end of season. It’s better than putting an unreliable optic on your son’s rifle I would think…

Trijicon isn’t an unreliable optic. Far from it.

10x is entirely too limiting for western Montana which is the majority of our hunting. We do have whitetails here and also close shots on big game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Trijicon isn’t an unreliable optic. Far from it.

10x is entirely too limiting for western Montana which is the majority of our hunting. We do have whitetails here and also close shots on big game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough, the distance at which you hunt does make a huge difference. I've got some units where I'm at that realistically I'm seeing opportunities at 500 and beyond (not in Montana though).

And sorry if I insinuated about the Trijicon. I was more meaning reliable without breaking the bank as you're already planning to pick up a 6x SWFA. Trying to not spend too much of your money for you ;)

I'll then go ahead and echo the Trijicon recommendation, it's definitely a step up from the SWFA's in "bells and whistles" without giving up on the functional side of the fence.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Fair enough, the distance at which you hunt does make a huge difference. I've got some units where I'm at that realistically I'm seeing opportunities at 500 and beyond (not in Montana though).

And sorry if I insinuated about the Trijicon. I was more meaning reliable without breaking the bank as you're already planning to pick up a 6x SWFA. Trying to not spend too much of your money for you ;)

I'll then go ahead and echo the Trijicon recommendation, it's definitely a step up from the SWFA's in "bells and whistles" without giving up on the functional side of the fence.
I do like that the Credo version has a simple reticle compared to the tree on my Tenmile. Worst case we set that dude on 7.5x and forget about it. LOL

What surprised me last night was that when I had a conversation with him about it in the gun room, he definitely said he liked the simplicity of the fixed power 6x. He's been shooting that on the 223 for a couple months now. I was a huge gadget guy at 13. He is too but sees the efficiency of simplicity. That's cool.

Me and a friend both have tried out burris veracity scopes. They've been good for the last few years. FFP, you can dial and they don't break the bank.

Jimbee

WKR
I do like that the Credo version has a simple reticle compared to the tree on my Tenmile. Worst case we set that dude on 7.5x and forget about it. LOL

What surprised me last night was that when I had a conversation with him about it in the gun room, he definitely said he liked the simplicity of the fixed power 6x. He's been shooting that on the 223 for a couple months now. I was a huge gadget guy at 13. He is too but sees the efficiency of simplicity. That's cool.
Use the 223 that already has a 6x?

4th_point

WKR
Got to say I am another that's OK with a fixed 10x. Not ideal for moving targets up close, but I think it's more of a mental barrier than functional. Especially if the shooter can't or won't shoot with both eyes open.

But now is probably not the best time to be dorking with that stuff. I'd take the 6x off that Howa and use it this hunting season. Especially since the son likes that scope! Seems like a no brainer... simple path to success rather than steer him in another direction.

Put a 10x on the Howa and leave it there.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
You guys have some good ideas. I like the idea of moving to a 10x on the 223. That will be in the works for sure.

We shoot the 223 a TON so I don't want it without at all so that'll have to be a future project though.
Thanks.

sndmn11

WKR
You guys have some good ideas. I like the idea of moving to a 10x on the 223. That will be in the works for sure.

We shoot the 223 a TON so I don't want it without at all so that'll have to be a future project though.
Thanks.
The side focus 10x on the 223 would be outstanding https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-105769.html

Move the 6x over to his other rifle.

This situation is why I like having pic rails and rings on everything because you could have one properly mounted in rings with a level, and wherever it goes it is ready. That 6x could follow from the trainer rifle to the deer rifle in 1 minute, and be within a mil or so of zeroed.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
The side focus 10x on the 223 would be outstanding https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-105769.html

Move the 6x over to his other rifle.

This situation is why I like having pic rails and rings on everything because you could have one properly mounted in rings with a level, and wherever it goes it is ready. That 6x could follow from the trainer rifle to the deer rifle in 1 minute, and be within a mil or so of zeroed.
I hate pic rails. More parts. More joints. More height. All bad. I like to set a rifle up and just go with it.

Just my opinion and how I use rifles though.

atmat

WKR
I hate pic rails. More parts. More joints. More height. All bad. I like to set a rifle up and just go with it.

Just my opinion and how I use rifles though.
On your tikka, if you use the integral rail (t084 or UM rings), you get the best of both worlds. Easy swapping between rifles without the pic rail.