Scope Recommendation for my son's Tikka that's not an SWFA

Marshfly

WKR
I ordered a Mil SWFA 6x42 a month and a half ago when me and my son both pulled antelope tags for MT. Of course, it's not here and they have zero idea when they will receive them.

I REALLY wanted to start him out with the fixed 6x hunting this year and the next few to get him trained correctly. Of course, that's not an option.

I shoot a Mrad Trijicon Tenmile and think in Mils so don't want to get started down the MOA rabbit hole. My impulse is to put a Credo 2.5-15 in the cart and get it on the way but I really don't want to spend that much money when the SWFA was the plan. I also would really like to keep to 10x on the top end if variable.

Any other solid options you guys can suggest that dial, and work 100%?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Looks for a used credo or get him the 3-9 credo I’m with the box mil reticle… eurooptic has them for 540 right meow

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Looks for a used credo or get him the 3-9 credo I’m with the box mil reticle… eurooptic has them for 540 right meow
3x9 not only does not dial elevation but is a 1" tube. I already have 30mm rings on the shelf waiting...

Arghhh.
Scanning the for sale section diligently but man, the good scopes get kept.

Hnthrdr

WKR
3x9 not only does not dial elevation but is a 1" tube. I already have 30mm rings on the shelf waiting...

Arghhh.
Scanning the for sale section diligently but man, the good scopes get kept.
This true… but it is a great scope especially for a future “loaner” rifle or rimfire, could teach him about using the reticle for hold over and then move to dialing instruction. Not many lower end scopes that are worth anything dial/ dial well. I think Burris has a 3-15 that dials, but no personal experience with it

amassi

WKR
$1600?! Coming to you guys was a terrible idea. LOL.

There’s one for $1350 in the classified pretty good deal. You could flip after the antelope hunt and make $25 for your troubles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
I know you said no MOA but the 6x42 MOA seems to be in stock at SWFA and I don't think converting to MILS a bit later will be that hard.
I've got that exact scope on a Howa 223 due to an ordering mess up on my part. That's another option is to move it for the season.

It is absolutely crazy that the only reliable scopes that dial for under a grand are the SWFA and the Trijicon. That just blows my mind.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
No love for the zeiss v4 here? I’ve always liked mine. Great glass, dial, 0 stop etc
They break and don't hold zero reliably. Sorry, but that's the reality. I have a Zeiss Conquest on the bench that I would have to tweak slightly each year prior to the season. I thought that was normal. Now I know it's not.

JGRaider

WKR
Looking... Thanks.
I've got 3 Arken scopes on rifles right now....a 6.5cm, 6.5 PRC, and a 7mm08. Two of the EPL4 6-24x50, and a 4-16x44. All are MIL versions. I don't give ratsazzz about some drop test, and only have a bout 300 rounds through each of them, but so far they've been solid dialers out to 600 yards and return to zero every time. Glass is much more than adequate, everything turns smoothly as designed, and illumination works great.

I have an extra 4-16x44 MIL I'd sell cheap if you're interested. I'd bet the farm it will work as advertised.

KenLee

WKR
I've got that exact scope on a Howa 223 due to an ordering mess up on my part. That's another option is to move it for the season.

It is absolutely crazy that the only reliable scopes that dial for under a grand are the SWFA and the Trijicon. That just blows my mind.

I'd put a Europtic sale Amplus 6 on the rifle and not look back. I've beat the heck out of my Leicas with no problems. I'm the clumsiest person I know.
The only thing I don't like about the models which are on sale is the busy (to me) reticle.
If you are looking at the SWFA, that type reticle is what you are looking for.
Plus, you get illuminated dot and better quality glass.

Last edited: