Any wool pant recommendations?

fwafwow

WKR
I dont disagree…but that green is the color of deer camp in Northern VT/NH/ME. You’d fit right in, here!
I’d happily buy and wear a pair, or even the plaid ones (there is a deal on eBay for a slightly used pair that would fit me), if I’m ever up that way!

fwafwow

WKR
I couldn’t stand it, I ordered a pair of those Micklagaards while I wait for my pair from C&C Sutlery. I’ll let y’all know how it goes.
Wow! Which ones? Can you send pictures of the reaction in deer camp? Here in GA (or SC) I would expect to get a few whistles or cat calls, especially if I wear the Pro with the reindeer leather trim. I’m still thinking about it - but having written GA and SC, I admit the number of super cold days are limited - even though I’m a baby when it comes to cold weather.

nosajnh

FNG
I have had Johnson wool solid greens since high school (decades ago) however with the improved merino offerings of the last 10 years I no longer wear them hunting. I wear all merino base and mid-layers and a technical wind/water resistant outer layer. I find that system much more adaptable and less cumbersome. Damp/wet wool outer pants are heavy. I still wear them in the winter, just not hunting or icefishing.

Wow! Which ones? Can you send pictures of the reaction in deer camp? Here in GA (or SC) I would expect to get a few whistles or cat calls, especially if I wear the Pro with the reindeer leather trim. I’m still thinking about it - but having written GA and SC, I admit the number of super cold days are limited - even though I’m a baby when it comes to cold weather.
I ordered the harma basics. I don’t participate in deer camps so I shouldn’t have to deal with any sexual harassment over my fancy new Swedish wool britches. But hopefully I’ll be able to show off a picture of me holding a buck that I couldn’t have killed without em.

I’ve got a small hole or two in my Obsidians, but they are relatively thin wool and the durability is as I expected. Thicker would be better, but also thicker would make them less useful for walking/hiking. Still interested in the thicker Sarmas but I expect I could make do
Tuo is a seemingly new camo company and they have a merino pant that I will probably try. I assume they are closer to obsidians than a thick winter pant, but I assume layer with heavy merino bottoms when it’s cold, but cold here isn’t cold like Wyoming, so my needs are different than others

Cabelas Wooltimate are really warm. I've used them for about 10 years.
They are, I have the jacket and bibs, but they are so heavy I only use them on a rare occasion, like visiting family over east hunting dogs at night in below zero temps. They are very warm though and block the elements well. The cut isn’t great either, but I’m glad to have them when I need them

fwafwow

WKR
Big Bill Merino Wool Cargo Pants - (80% wool) not sure of the weight (I asked them), only 3 inseam options (31, 33 or 36) and may require tailoring. Made in Canada. 7 pockets. $148.

If I had to pull the trigger now, it would be for the Big Bills. Off to do more research, but this also seems like something that might be more common in some other countries, or that @Formidilosus has come across.

EDIT - also came across this prior thread (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/non-hunting-brand-clothing-recommendations.228025/) and Micklagaard.
UPDATE - the Big Bill Merino Wool Cargo Pants are made with 21oz wool (although I found another company selling an 18oz version). Edit - when I received the pants, the label on them said 18oz. Anyone know if they do a Black Friday sale?

Last edited:

musty

FNG
I just picked up two pairs of big bill "8 pointer" wool pants from tractor supply for $80 each. I haven't worn them out in the cold yet but they seem pretty decent. They're definitely not as thick and burly as the old military surplus stuff.

Mojave

WKR
Filson has had quality issues for 20 years.

Hawk ebay for Weatherby wool or King of the mountain.

Columbia also did a wool line for a while. I have a pair of those somewhere.

ledflight

WKR
I got a pair of the Big Bill Merino cargos a couple years ago on a great deal. There was lots of sizing questions but I ended up needing my normal size after it all. I think Tractor Supply was the source.
Warm, quiet, not windproof.
I have old some Woolrich heavy classic looking ones via eBay that are another level of warm and actually resist wind some. Haven't hunted in them but wore them around Christmas last year in that deep cold snap we had here in the northeast. -5 and the like.
I have a pair of brown Woolrich duck camo pants, too, but they're not windproof at all, however it's a great fall pattern, and comfy.
Lots of good recommendations here. Older stock seems to be better made.
I would not buy recycled wool - it doesn't have the same length of fiber and same quality. So newer Columbia stuff I would avoid, but old stuff might be good.
KOM and Sleeping Indian are spendy stuff they say your kids will pass on to their kids after you pass it on to them.
I wish more of the vintage wool pants had cargo pockets.

Well my micklagaard pants came in today and they’re awesome. But they’re too small. And that hurts because the weather just got right for me to need them. I wear a 33” waist in wranglers, but like micklagaard says to, I measured my waist and it was right at 37”. So I ordered the size 52 which is for a 37-37.8” waist. The waist is snug but I could live with it or alter it myself to make it work, but the legs are too tight to. If any of you guys want these let me know, otherwise I’m going to return them for the next size up.

And IMO the waist in the back isn’t near as high as it looks in the pics on their website.

fwafwow

WKR
Well my micklagaard pants came in today and they’re awesome. But they’re too small. And that hurts because the weather just got right for me to need them. I wear a 33” waist in wranglers, but like micklagaard says to, I measured my waist and it was right at 37”. So I ordered the size 52 which is for a 37-37.8” waist. The waist is snug but I could live with it or alter it myself to make it work, but the legs are too tight to. If any of you guys want these let me know, otherwise I’m going to return them for the next size up.

And IMO the waist in the back isn’t near as high as it looks in the pics on their website.
Sorry but I’m fatter than you. Please ask them for a Black Friday sale and coupon code!

I was checking out micklagaard. What version of their pants did you get??

Website say the lined version that the pants have a foam quilted liner to keep you warm? But aren't the pants wool already??

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for the tip, but I’m too fat for the sizes available. I found another pair online for $114 before tax with the Black Friday 10% off code and free shipping.

EDIT - even though the SKU for the above pants matches the SKU on the Big Bill site, the weight of the fabric of these pants was 18oz, not 21oz.

Last edited: