Anyone ever broken...

GPool1842

WKR
Anyone ever broken a pinky toe 3 weeks before a backpacking elk hunt? Caught it on the bed last night, bad deal. Painful to walk.

I’ve got some serious elevation to traverse in 3 weeks. Doesn’t seem like there is much to do about a broken toe. Tape, ibuprofen, whiskey?

P Carter

WKR
Eesh. Sorry to hear. I haven't done this before a backpacking trip, but I have before athletic events (soccer and boxing).

My two cents:

-Get the swelling down ASAP. Ice, aleve, elevation. If it's really broken, your boots probably don't fit right now. I had to slit my cleats one time to get that pinky toe in.

-Tape or splint to stabilize. I think I used a finger splint and jerry-rigged it to fit on the outside toe. A stiff insole is a good idea too. I recall that they make a metal or really stiff plastic insole for turf toe (jammed, not broken toe) that I used before. It sucks but provides protection.

-It must have as much time to heal as possible, so stay off it

-Bring some pain pills because walking sidehill and downhill is going to be a real bear.

Good luck!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I broke the toe next to the big one on my right foot during basketball season in high school. Took two days off, and had to get right back at it. Also played on a broken ankle one year.

As for hunting, in 2010 I broke my left thumb taking a tumble down a steep slick wet slope with a bunch of downfall Sept 2. And broke my left wrist last year the week before archery season. I didn't cast it so that I could still hunt with my wrist release.

Tape it to the next toe, suck it up, and go with it.

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
Good info! The toe won’t stop me.. I’ve been thinking about this first elk hunt for two years! Just another part of the adventure...

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
Boot fit would be my big concern. Broke my pinky toe in June. My Danners weren't comfortable for about a month. Fine now, but toe is still swollen almost 2 months later.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Elkhntr08

WKR
Went to Colorado a few years ago with what I thought was a sprained ankle, turns out it was cracked. Hunted for 2 weeks, laced the boot up tight, ice and ibuprofen.
I’ll be the one to ask, how did you break it on the bed?

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
Went to Colorado a few years ago with what I thought was a sprained ankle, turns out it was cracked. Hunted for 2 weeks, laced the boot up tight, ice and ibuprofen.
I’ll be the one to ask, how did you break it on the bed?

That’s hardcore. I hope you killed an elk!

Caught it on the bed frame coming back from the bathroom. Wife heard it snap. My first thought was “oh fu**, my elk hunt”. Not a good night...

aion2come

WKR
Broke my little toe a few years back and it was hard to walk on for several weeks, although I did - all flat. What you can do will come down to pain tolerance honestly. I would have a backup spot picked out that doesn't have as much elevation gain/loss and I would find as stiff a sole as I could get on my boot.

Good ideas above about taping/splinting it.

About 7-8 years ago I caught my pinky toe running up the steps, for about 3 days I limped around thinking it was broken. Then I caught it on the bed post. Turns out it was dislocated and the bed post put it back in place. Felt great after that!

I've "broken" all of my toes at least once from years of soccer. It'll be fine in two weeks. Try to wear stiff soled shoes between now and then.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I broke my big toe in a trail race back in May. I didn't run on it for a month or so, but kept up my pack training without ill effects. Stiff boots and buddy taping and it will be good to go.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I broke my big toe a couple years ago a few days before season opener. As already mentioned stiff boots and treking poles helped. And the fact that I wasn't going to let it ruin my hunt!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eesh. Sorry to hear. I haven't done this before a backpacking trip, but I have before athletic events (soccer and boxing).

-Bring some pain pills because walking sidehill and downhill is going to be a real bear.

Good luck!

THIS!!!

I broke my foot six weeks before an elk/mule deer hunt. got the boot off in five weeks and had just one week of normal living before the hunt.
lived off pain pills for the week.

xziang

WKR
Fitment of boots would be biggest concern. Be thankful could be worse, I'm out this year 4 days before opener due to stepping on a piece of metal cutting through all layers of skin. Oh and ER wont stitch a 1inch cut/gash on the bottom of your foot. When it rains it pours.

OP
G

GPool1842

WKR
Fitment of boots would be biggest concern. Be thankful could be worse, I'm out this year 4 days before opener due to stepping on a piece of metal cutting through all layers of skin. Oh and ER wont stitch a 1inch cut/gash on the bottom of your foot. When it rains it pours.

Miserable!!!!