Anyone ever use a "regular" hiking backpack?

seww

WKR
I see that everybody posts about amazing hunting backpacks that are specialized for hunters and the needs we might feel like.
But for many, the budget for a good backpack just isn't there. I might have the money, but I cannot justify, for myself, a $5-600 backpack. I want one, I can afford one, but I cannot pull the trigger.
So I scavenge, eBay, Craigslist, anything to find a good backpack, brand names = good quality and warranties.

Example 1: My uncle had a Badlands SuperDay, he bought in 2008, used it for 10 years and got a different pack. He gave the Badlands to me, I returned it to Badlands and received a brand new one in the mail.
Example 2: In 2008 I purchased a Berghaus Vulcan. Youtube it and you'll see what a tank that backpack is. 80-100 liters capacity, durable like none other, it's still in use by my cousin. Great customer service. And new, I bought it about $200. Crazy good backpack. But the hip belt is not the best.

Then I saw that the Norwegian adventurer Lars Monsen, in case you never heard of him, please Youtube him. He took 3 years to cross Canada on foot, canoe and dog sled. It's on there, with English subtitles. He was using a Gregory Denali Pro for his adventures, I googled it and found out that it's one of the best ever made alpine backpacks. Big, great hip belt, awesome quality.
Searched for one, found it on eBay for just around $200 incl shipping. What a backpack! Just amazing great comfort and overall. Tons of straps to hang stuff and bulletproof.

Now, I've never tried a Stone Glacier or HPG or Kifaru or anything else, so I cannot say this is the best ever. But why wouldn't something like the Gregory Denali Pro work? It's red, sure. But as far as I know, the deer, elk and moose, don't really see colors that well (feel free to correct me). And since everybody usually wears an orange beanie at least, a red backpack is not going to make things worse.

Anyone got input? Suggestions? Want to give me crap? :)

jmav58

WKR
It would seem like your post is you searching for an argument. Buy whatever pack you want and use it. I think the Gregory Denali would work fine. I like my Kifaru because they support all types of hunting, they're a sponsor of the site and the pack fits me and is comfortable.

OP
S

seww

WKR
It would seem like your post is you searching for an argument. Buy whatever pack you want and use it. I think the Gregory Denali would work fine. I like my Kifaru because they support all types of hunting, they're a sponsor of the site and the pack fits me and is comfortable.
I'm not sure what I'm after with this post. :)
Think I needed to get something off my chest and also I like backpacks as a subject.

I prefer a pack that can actually carry 100+ pounds reasonably comfortably, and "regular" packs just won't do that. But hey, if it meets your needs, go for it.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
They will work for sure! What you give up is ability to carry truely heavy weights (100+lbs) and durability of materials. I’m a big fan of run what you brung.

Took a look at the Gregory. It looks like it’ll work - however...

If you look used, you’re not too far off from a hunting centric pack. Now, I realize they’re both backpacks - ultimately they’ll do the same job. I have a stone glacier original krux that I’ve had for 5 years now. Weight disappears on your back - even packing out a bear a couple weeks ago, my legs knew I was heavier, but my back/hips/shoulders were none the wiser. Not only that, the pack itself is lighter weight by 3ish pounds than the Denali and has a larger capacity. Finally, and this is really the selling point for me - a lot of the hunting packs have a meat shelf option where the pack body separates from the frame. It keeps the blood out of the body of your pack and off your gear.

No reason to not run the Denali - but when it comes time for your next pack keep your eyes on the used market. I’ve seen Kifaru, SO, SG and exo packs go for pretty cheap used... and there are a ton of guys buying and selling packs. A deal will pop up.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I prefer a pack that can actually carry 100+ pounds reasonably comfortably, and "regular" packs just won't do that. But hey, if it meets your needs, go for it.
Maybe that's the major difference, they're built for maybe 75 lbs or such, while hunting backpacks are designed for heavier weights.

OP
S

seww

WKR
They will work for sure! What you give up is ability to carry truely heavy weights (100+lbs) and durability of materials. I’m a big fan of run what you brung.
The Gregory is not a bad pack at all, but perhaps the possibility to carry heavier weights is the crucial difference..

OP
S

seww

WKR
Took a look at the Gregory. It looks like it’ll work - however...

If you look used, you’re not too far off from a hunting centric pack. Now, I realize they’re both backpacks - ultimately they’ll do the same job. I have a stone glacier original krux that I’ve had for 5 years now. Weight disappears on your back - even packing out a bear a couple weeks ago, my legs knew I was heavier, but my back/hips/shoulders were none the wiser. Not only that, the pack itself is lighter weight by 3ish pounds than the Denali and has a larger capacity. Finally, and this is really the selling point for me - a lot of the hunting packs have a meat shelf option where the pack body separates from the frame. It keeps the blood out of the body of your pack and off your gear.

No reason to not run the Denali - but when it comes time for your next pack keep your eyes on the used market. I’ve seen Kifaru, SO, SG and exo packs go for pretty cheap used... and there are a ton of guys buying and selling packs. A deal will pop up.
This is so true. And good quality, you don't need to buy new.
And like the posters before, it's the ability to carry a really heavy load, and the meat shelf you mentioned. Big difference.

Hmm very interesting. So far I've only carried part of a moose in both the Vulcan and Denali, with no problems. The Denali was way more comfortable, but it was no 100 lbs.

As mentioned above, the two most important parts are the ability to carry 100+ pounds and be able to carry the meat outside of the bag.

I used a 60L osprey aether last year. Luckily, I was car camping so it was easy to just throw the meat bags into my backpack and not worry about the blood. I think as long as your pack can handle a LOT of weight without killing you, you can remedy the meat inside the bag part by using either contractor trash bags or a tent ground sheet inside your pack to prevent getting your gear bloody.

I bought a 6400 exo pack this year as a present to myself after finishing some remodeling. With my elk, I left some gear behind and put a quarter in the meat shelf area and then put two quarters wrapped in my ground sheet inside my main pack. It worked really well and the only blood on my back was on the outside in the meat shelf area.

I used an Osprey Argon 110 for several years before switching to a pack designed specifically for hunting/meat-hauling. The Osprey wasn't ideal for hauling meat due to lack of a meat shelf and inability to separate the bag from the frame, but I could make it work and hauled elk quarters in it multiple times. The max load I ever carried in it was around 75 lbs, and it held up fine.

I'm now using an older Kifaru pack, and it is definitely superior to the Osprey for hauling meat (and heavy loads in general): frame is stiffer, belt and lumbar pad are larger, and the bag can be detached from the frame.
Pack In (1).jpg

OP
S

seww

WKR
As mentioned above, the two most important parts are the ability to carry 100+ pounds and be able to carry the meat outside of the bag.

I used a 60L osprey aether last year. Luckily, I was car camping so it was easy to just throw the meat bags into my backpack and not worry about the blood. I think as long as your pack can handle a LOT of weight without killing you, you can remedy the meat inside the bag part by using either contractor trash bags or a tent ground sheet inside your pack to prevent getting your gear bloody.

I bought a 6400 exo pack this year as a present to myself after finishing some remodeling. With my elk, I left some gear behind and put a quarter in the meat shelf area and then put two quarters wrapped in my ground sheet inside my main pack. It worked really well and the only blood on my back was on the outside in the meat shelf area.
Yeah, that meat shelf will come on handy when it comes to backcountry DIY hunts, I can see that now.
Been very impressed by Steven Rinella in MeatEater and his Stone Glacier pack. I also don't mind an external frame, seems like his pack has one. Especially for hanging your rifle on while hiking, it helps.

OP
S

seww

WKR
I used an Osprey Argon 110 for several years before switching to a pack designed specifically for hunting/meat-hauling. The Osprey wasn't ideal for hauling meat due to lack of a meat shelf and inability to separate the bag from the frame, but I could make it work and hauled elk quarters in it multiple times. The max load I ever carried in it was around 75 lbs, and it held up fine.

I'm now using an older Kifaru pack, and it is definitely superior to the Osprey for hauling meat (and heavy loads in general): frame is stiffer, belt and lumbar pad are larger, and the bag can be detached from the frame.
I looked at some Stone Glacier packs, and the hip belt are probably twice as wide as on my Gregory pack. That will help a lot coming to heavy loads.

Yeah, that meat shelf will come on handy when it comes to backcountry DIY hunts, I can see that now.
Been very impressed by Steven Rinella in MeatEater and his Stone Glacier pack. I also don't mind an external frame, seems like his pack has one. Especially for hanging your rifle on while hiking, it helps.
The top tier hunting pack that handel 100+ pounds all have external frames.

Hunting packs are very expressive. However, it's a buy once, cry once. As soon as you strap one on and feel how comfortable.... $$ never cross your mind again. That's how good they are!!

First what is your budget? Second how tall are you? These questions will narrow down the search.

When I was looking for my first pack for elk hunting I would have loved to purchase a Kifaru or Stone Glacier etc. But I was gearing up for both my son and I so expenses on equipment was multiplied by 2.
After a lot of research and calls into Mystery Ranch I bought two MR Glaciers from their backpacking line. Why? Because after speaking with MR customer service they told me it was rated for 100lbs. This is about double the limit of most backpacking packs! The Glacier is about the same size as the Metcalf from the hunting lineup but IMO it has much better organization. So the only thing I gave up was a meat shelf and 50lbs carrying capacity. I added a Kifaru Grab it so I could carry some of my stuff between it and my pack bag if we were lucky enough to get one we would put the quarters in the bag. I trained with 75lbs and it handled it so well I am confident the 100lb rating is light. The only issue is if you have a long torso. I have a 21” torso and I would say that would really be the max. My son is 6’5 with a 23” torso so the load lifters are even with his shoulders. That limits the weight he can carry comfortably.

Just a little over a month ago I bought a 2019 MR Terraframe 50 and it has the meat shelf and is rated for 150 lbs. It carries even better than the Glacier and I can say first hand it will handle heavy weights easily having packed about a 120lb doe a few weeks ago out whole. I got it from Sierra.com for $229.00. I can get everything I would need for 3 days inside and if I wanted to stretch to a week I would put my sleeping bag in a dry sack and strap it on the bottom.

7e55be6561ca9a94e79178435d750d07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk