anyone have any luck/experience with a boot stretcher?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a new pair of boots that fit pretty well, save one spot on the outside of right foot, just to the rear of my little toe

never had a problem with that area before, they are leather boots so thinking that maybe with a stretcher I could get them to work???

the boots fit pretty well besides that one spot

they have some boot stretchers on Amazon for $50

oenanthe

WKR
By "boot stretcher", do you mean one of those things that looks like a big pair of tongs with a ball on on side and a hoop on the other?
If so, yes, I've used one quite a bit and they can work well. It helps to dab a little rubbing alcohol on the spot.

In my case there's a lump on my foot that affects most every shoe and boot that I own. If this is just one pair of boots you might want to see whether it's a manufacturing defect and you can exchange for a different pair.

Be careful if the boots have a Gore-tex liner - I stretched out a tight spot on a pair of lined boots and I'm pretty sure they leak at that spot now.

FreeRange

WKR
I had a similar issue in that exact spot with a pair of Asolo leather with goretex boots I just got. I'd worn the same exact pair for the past 3 seasons without that issue, figured it was just a matter of breaking them in. Wearing them to work for 2 months didn't work, and I'm on my feet most of the day. It was so painful I stopped wearing them at all. It didn't help that the spot would get inflamed and then even tighter in the boot.

What I knew would break them in and ended up being the ticket was wearing them in the hills for a week, getting them wet and then putting on some miles was just the ticket. Got to do that over the holidays and they fit as good as the 3 year old pair now. I really think the moisture is the key

I'd try a good breaking in before spending the money or running the risk with a boot stretcher especially if they're leather boots. I'd thought about trying one too because its such a small little spot on the outside of the foot it seemed like the boot stretcher would be just the thing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good point on the goretex, hadn't thought of that

I saw the one you're describing, I was actually thinking about the wooden one that you can crank- also has plastic "bumps" you can place on them to hit a specific spot

I think I may just send these back and maybe have them send a new pair and maybe one a 1/2 size larger

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ This particular spot is painful enough that just bopping around the house for an hurt pretty badly, enough so still hurting at work with shoes that are well broken in

unfortunately if I wear these outside, I wouldn't be able to return them if they didn't break in

I was wearing thicker socks, I'll try a thinner pair and see if changing the insole alleviates the pressure

Akicita

WKR
^ This particular spot is painful enough that just bopping around the house for an hurt pretty badly, enough so still hurting at work with shoes that are well broken in

unfortunately if I wear these outside, I wouldn't be able to return them if they didn't break in

I was wearing thicker socks, I'll try a thinner pair and see if changing the insole alleviates the pressure

That's the 5th Metatarsal and is problematic on me as well. If everything else feels right and you like the boots I would highly recommend considering going up a half or even a full size. The last of the boot will get wider with a longer length and it sounds to me that you need a longer length. This will give you relief in the 1st and 5th metatarsals and allow you to condition your foot to the boot much easier.

I wear a full size and a half longer boot just for this reason. Depending on the manufacturer of the boot it should pack out a few millimeters but it it doesn't feel right with your feet not swelled from light activity it will feel dreadful once you start any heavy activity.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with previous posts, if you can swap out for slightly larger then do that, otherwise put the boots in a bucket of water and let them soak the water in, then walk them till they're dry, they will generally form to your feet better than just walking in them when dry.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what your strecher would cost but I had a spot punched out on my boots by a ski boot fitter. Was about 45 bucks though he did both boots

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks- I think I'll go up a 1/2 size and give that a go- they have a no hassle exchange

Weekender

WKR
I've had the same problem with a few pair of boots. If it's close to fitting, another pair might fit great or even a lower volume insole has helped. I've learned to wear a half size bigger which normally keeps me out of wides. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
I saw the one you're describing, I was actually thinking about the wooden one that you can crank- also has plastic "bumps" you can place on them to hit a specific spot

I've got one of those too. I should've mentioned it earlier but I kinda' forgot about it because I never use it anymore. For me, it doesn't work nearly as well as the ball-and-ring one.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a 44.5 coming, they gave me instant credit on their site (and a printable shipping label) so should get them in a couple of days- fingers crossed

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sierra Trading Post- I always try them first when looking for something

Billinsd

WKR
That's the 5th Metatarsal and is problematic on me as well. If everything else feels right and you like the boots I would highly recommend considering going up a half or even a full size. The last of the boot will get wider with a longer length and it sounds to me that you need a longer length. This will give you relief in the 1st and 5th metatarsals and allow you to condition your foot to the boot much easier.

I wear a full size and a half longer boot just for this reason. Depending on the manufacturer of the boot it should pack out a few millimeters but it it doesn't feel right with your feet not swelled from light activity it will feel dreadful once you start any heavy activity.
OP is your arch length size much longer than heel to toe length? Mine is 2.5 sizes longer. I have a 9 5 heel to toe size and 12 arch length and my toes are short. I bought 10 wide or stretched 10 D and never got a good fit. I found that 11.5 D is the best fit. Your mileage may differ.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think my arch is pretty normal (by looking at wet footprints) but have never measured it- I'd be interested to do it though if you have a link how?

my foot is pretty normal width, but my toes are wonky- my Mom called them Irish toes :). The next three toes next to the big toe are all about the same length as the big toe, the little toe is "normal"

I'll often have to go wide width with shoes to make room for my toes, but then have to take up volume for my heel and midfoot and doesn't always work

Billinsd

WKR
I think my arch is pretty normal (by looking at wet footprints) but have never measured it- I'd be interested to do it though if you have a link how?

my foot is pretty normal width, but my toes are wonky- my Mom called them Irish toes :). The next three toes next to the big toe are all about the same length as the big toe, the little toe is "normal"

I'll often have to go wide width with shoes to make room for my toes, but then have to take up volume for my heel and midfoot and doesn't always work
It was an epiphany for me. I may have been told it in the past, but dismissed it, and/or forgotten. Go to a shoe store put your foot in this device and on the opposite side of the width is the arch length. It's more accurate to stand straight up and have someone else measure you. For me my Metatarsal (where the knob sticks out) is not very pronounced and it is difficult for me to accurately align the slider. The company that makes this device recommends using the arch length if it is longer, some people say split the different. I say, try different shoes. This shows what I am talking about. The Brannock Device - A Better Way to Measure Feet

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't been measured with one of those for a long time, will have to rectify that :)

when I got that pain I took off my sock and was somewhat frightened when I saw this "lump", was relieved when I took off the other sock and saw the same thing- never really noticed them before, mine are definitely pronounced