Experience with Crispi

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I actually had to warranty my Briksdal Mtn pair I mentioned earlier in this thread. After a goat hunt and elk hunt, the rands came off both sides of both boots. Crispi was very responsive in the warranty process, and shipped a new pair out very quickly.

lak2004

WKR
I've got a pair of summits that I wore last week for a day hunt and got soaked in one boot. With gaiters on even. Going to clean them and apply conditioner and see how it goes next week.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Nevadas and wax with only the crispi wax. Probably wax way more often than I need to but 4 years and hundreds of miles, zero issues.

I think the nylon and suede boots, and boots with multiple seams are more prone to leaking. Nevadas and wax are a much more robust starting point than fabric and spray, Gore Tex liner or not.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
I had a new pair of schnees kestrels leak horribly in wet Oregon this year, with gaiters. Switched to my 4th season filthy stained Crispi Summits and it was like I had muck boots! Perfectly dry for several days.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Are you guys thoroughly treating your boots, especially when you first get them?
I would after some break in and use. The synthetics take spray, and I believe they sell a branded "cream" for leather models. I prefer nikwax waterproofing wax for leather.

Sunset606

FNG
Wear my Crispi boots almost every day. Been through most all top brands and they are the best (comfort and support) I have found. Started using them after tearing my Achilles off my heal and going through 3 surgeries. Have the Wyoming, Summit, and Nevada. Was worried about leaking in the first two but no leaks in 4 years. Can't say that I have had any other brands leak outside of one pair of Asolos.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Crispis have been great. As with my boot from other manufactures, I treat them when new before wearing them then as needed during the season. Usually they just get one treatement every year prior to the start of hunting season.

Thor GTX going on 5 years and 4 years on Guide GTX. Thors during archery and Guides during rifle. Treat once a year and have gaiters on. No issues so far but look pretty rough in wear and tear.

Wrench

WKR
Think about how a goretex bootie works....

Take a relatively delicate piece of membrane and place it inside a boot. The membrane is screwed if it rubs on anything coarse, sharp or folds. If you choose a boot with a zillion stitches and gobs of flexibility....the odds are already against you.

Now consider the short lifespan of the polyurethane that many boot makers are using now....this causes structural change in the boot and the compression area under the booties to change.

I think this is why we see common failures in certain boots. Not necessarily brands....but similar designs. A meindl Denali almost never leaked....it also was uber stiff and had almost no seams. Some of the boots we hear about have exactly the opposite. Remember every time they cut the thread loose and there's a knot or burned thread end....it's potentially going to compromise the membrane.

Leather treatment is certainly helpful and prolongs the boot leather...but it's the membrane that does the magic.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Yeah depending on a very thin membrane in the hopes of total waterproofness is definitely a stretch

Look at what a boot does on a typical mountain hunt- it's contorted in every imaginable direction going over /around blowdown, rock, etc. Add the strain of constant sidehiling and/or 75+ lb weights packing something out.

I wouldn't expect a 0.01 mm membrane to stay intact after the above.

I look at goretex in boots as water resistance and adding some warmth, if you really need complete waterproofness start with an all leather boots and treat the piss out of it or get a rubber boot :)

Choogiak

FNG
I have a pair of the guide gtx. Used on 6 hunts in Alaska over the past 2 years. No leaks and happy with the durability so far, except the rand is starting to slightly separate on the right boot. I do clean the leather and apply a waterproofing cream after every trip

sivart

WKR
I've got a pair of summits that I wore last week for a day hunt and got soaked in one boot. With gaiters on even. Going to clean them and apply conditioner and see how it goes next week.
my summits leaked almost instantly. Looking for a better option.

ChrisAU

WKR
Just spent 5 days tromping around in deep snow in my new Lapponia’s and they were excellent. Was pretty surprised to find my socks dry every night, I was pretty rough on them. First elk hunt I’ve left without wanting a different boot ha.

lak2004

WKR
Just spent 5 days tromping around in deep snow in my new Lapponia’s and they were excellent. Was pretty surprised to find my socks dry every night, I was pretty rough on them. First elk hunt I’ve left without wanting a different boot ha.
Excellent to hear this, just ordered a pair yesterday and going to use them for some mid November deer hunts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Drewby

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going through the same process right now with a pair of Wyomings. This is my 2nd pair. The first were great, no issues. The new pair leaked when walking through wet brush. It wasn't a sock wicking issues either, as just the toes were soaked. I never wore gaiters with the previous pair.

Working with Crispi customer service now. if that fails I'll contact Gore.