Anyone have buyer’s remorse with a bow purchase ?

As previously stated, hit the local shop and shoot all the top brands. It'll become apparent which make and model suits you. Grip, draw cycle, balance, and ATA are some of the factors to consider. I'm partial to Bowtech. Have fun shopping for your new weapon.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
👍Mathews get new strings as soon as it’s ordered or bought… life is too short to mess with zebra strings. Hoyt aren’t much better, prime strings aren’t great… haha, there is a trend! I have heard the newer elite strings aren’t bad, but have no experience there… pse is the only stock strings that I didn’t quickly find a reason to change, they were actually pretty good on my Mach 1…
My PSE came with factory ABB strings, and they were the best by far for that bow. Any idea what the Zebra strings are made out of? Will new 452x make the bow shoot differently than with the Zebra's? My old Bowtech's always had pretty good strings from the factory.

acmcgaha

FNG
I'd bet the largest regret you hear in archery is buying from the wrong shop, not the wrong bow.

Get a feel for the shop, how much time they will spend with you before and after purchase, what all they will do.

Pretty much everyone makes a good bow. I think most would be better off with a low end bow from a high end shop that spent time with them versus a high end bow from a place that pushes you out the door.
This. Did as much due diligence as I could, but what seemed like an amazing shop turned out to be a dud. They eyeballed most of the setup, sold me components that had missing pieces, rushed the tune, sold me a used release without reporting it as such and then acted crazy when I returned it in the same condition (returned because it didn't fit my draw/anchor vs the fact that it was used).

Found another shop to do the tune, sold the same bows, 100% the kind of shop that I wish I had bought from. They will get 100% of my business in the future. So, like you said not what I bought, but where I bought it from.

Kind of makes me sad, because the shop I bought the bow from sells a lot of bows as they are the only vendor for my particular bow in a major metro. I only know I was duped because I have been through the process 20 years ago when I was an avid shooter. I think there are a lot of people buying bows from them that will never know what their bow is really capable of.

Fresh wound...

My PSE came with factory ABB strings, and they were the best by far for that bow. Any idea what the Zebra strings are made out of? Will new 452x make the bow shoot differently than with the Zebra's? My old Bowtech's always had pretty good strings from the factory.
I’m not sure, but thought I looked into it a few years ago and came to the conclusion it was build quality rather than material, the last 2 mathews I had I changed strings after top hat adjustments and didn’t have any different tune when brought into spec, but I really don’t nerd out on strings, I just don’t want non stop creep or serving separation… I need to re-serve my prime string soon, it’s pretty bad around the nocking point and the peep won’t settle perfect… not as bad as the last zebras I shot, but worse than my last stock hoyt string set (rx1) and none of that is a compliment to them

I think I’m going to put ABB on my prime, but going to try the step below platinum’s because they fray really fast in the wet brush

Again, I don’t geek out on strings much, I know the combo of string material and serving on my recurves, but never focused on it with my compounds… shot the same jbk for several years and ABB platinum the past 6-8 years because that’s who my bow shop of choice uses.

I’m guessing zebras are 452x but mass produced low quality control, but wouldn’t bet money on it

FCMD

FNG
Mathews V3X 33. Restrung it, shot it a few times. Prefer my Athens and Levitate. Prolly trade it on something.

BigSky

WKR
I will reiterate what some have said or alluded to. All of the differences that exist between bows nowadays are completely subjective. As long as you get the things you want, you will probably be satisfied. If you went in to a bow shop that carried every make and model and said: "I want an axle to axle length between x and y, I want a draw weight adjustable from x to y, I want a weight between x and y, I want, etc., etc., the shop could probably drop a dozen bows in front of you from half a dozen or more manufacturers which would not only work for you but with which you would be very happy.

Most of the differences, if we are honest with ourselves, are indistinguishable. Go to archerytalk and look at threads titled "Bow X vs Bow Y". One person will say Bow X has a smoother draw cycle (or other characteristic) while in the very next post another person will say Bow Y has a smoother draw cycle. Neither one of those individuals will by lying. Yes, some will be exhibiting confirmation bias; but, that is a placebo effect and there is nothing wrong with placebo effects if they work.

Good luck in your quest. Oh, on a side note. I love that some people buy brand new bows every year. I refuse to pay those prices. I'm a capitalist and don't begrudge manufacturers and retailers charging what the market will bare. Me? I'll just buy one or two year old bows at 20, 30 or 40% off of what is paid when new. I love this sport.

I sold my Mathews LX and replaced it with a vxr 28. I regret that. I don't like the draw cycle of the vxr28 and I don't shoot it as well as I did my LX. I also don't like the stupid top hat tuning system.

I would look to a biw that doesn't use the top hats.

I also recommend buying one a year or two old.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I regretted buying a Mathew’s vxr28. Went cam was too snappy for me. much prefer a longer ATA bow. Went back to an obsession fixation 7

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I sold my Mathews LX and replaced it with a vxr 28. I regret that. I don't like the draw cycle of the vxr28 and I don't shoot it as well as I did my LX. I also don't like the stupid top hat tuning system.

I would look to a biw that doesn't use the top hats.

I also recommend buying one a year or two old.
I didn’t jive with a 28” vxr either.
Look around for a used obsession fixation 6 or 7. They shoot so good. Draw cycle and back wall is the best I have ever felt. Fast. Tune with shims but once done good for a long time…

Mojave

WKR
Yes, every time I buy a bow I get buyers remorse.

I don't think I will ever be serious about archery. I have zero desire to hunt with a bow. I finally stopped trying to be a part time archer.

Crossbow, long bow, recurve whatever. I can't get excited about it. I have the original Bear Kodiak my father gave me on my 12th birthday. Beyond that I doubt I will ever own another one.

Yes buyers remorse every time.

Craig Boddington told me he thought they were about as interesting as a shovel. I am the same.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Regret selling several, regret buying only one.
Picked up an Elite Ritual 33 last summer. Never held or shot one. Got it setup and the bow tuned and shot great. I just couldn’t get used to the grip, we didn’t get along. Sold it and bought a Remedy. The grip is just different enough that we get along great. I love the bow.
Shoot the exact model of bow you’re thinking of buying.

Mathews V3 31. Shot Mathews for 20 years so I bought it because it was a Mathews. Few months later I shot a Bowtech Solution and couldn't sell the V3 fast enough!

hiker270

WKR
Yes on the way home from the bow shop I say to myself ( I can't believe I spent that much on a bow). Once I'm home and start shooting I'm thinking - money well spent.

AH64guy

FNG
I’ve purchased more from the wrong shop - more than the wrong bow.

To the OP - shoot the bows. If the shop doesn’t really support this - find a new shop. May be easier said than done based on location - I’m down to one good shop within 50 miles or so. But - it’s an investment to buy a new bow, and your time invested will pay off when you get it in the woods.

In my experience - Don’t buy the same bow on-line, and expect the shop owner to be happy to see you show up needing accessories. Business owner have bills, and potentially $$$$ tied up in inventory - earning dealer loyalty is thing too.

DanimalW

WKR
Yes and no. Bought a new RX7 Ultra this year. I love it, and think I will love it for years to come. But at the same time, it’s only incrementally better than my 10 year old Bowtech. I didn’t love any bows that I shot over the last couple years until picking up this one. If I had to do it again, I would be more patient. Then buy a used one a couple years later for half the price. But I would wait a year or two to buy used. Then it’s more likely just a regular bow upgrader. Not someone selling a brand new bow they couldn’t get to tune for shit.

Sterl91

FNG
I'd bet the largest regret you hear in archery is buying from the wrong shop, not the wrong bow.

Get a feel for the shop, how much time they will spend with you before and after purchase, what all they will do.

Pretty much everyone makes a good bow. I think most would be better off with a low end bow from a high end shop that spent time with them versus a high end bow from a place that pushes you out the door.
Very much agree with this. I bought a cheaper new bow in 2020 with RMS gear out of Denver. They spent close to 2 hours with me once bow arrived making sure everything was perfect. Made it such an easy process and left little room for regret

There are still a lot of "last year's" bows laying around that you could get a great deal on. Don't let them push you into one if it doesn't feel right however, and don't fixate on just a few brands. There are smaller manufacturers that make some great bows. I've not ever really regretted bow purchases, but really try and seek out good deals. I've only paid full retail for one or two. I just picked up a Prime Inline 5 from last year for just over half retail.

Pramo

WKR
Only bad bow I ever had was a Prime Centergy, short of gripping it with a choke hold I could never get it to tune. I regret ever selling my Carbon Spyder Turbo with z5 cams, that was the best bow I ever had

Luked

WKR
Agree with what has been said above.
Hard to buy a bad one now days with the technologey they all have.
Its all up to the shooter. I have been around archery since I was really little. Shot with my brother who shot at a range that had a Pro. Its been years and years ago so I dont remember the guys name. He taught me pretty quick not to let others opinions cloud mine as far as gear goes. Still really true today in my opinion.
Buy what YOU feel is best for you. With the details you gave with draw weight, length and BH any bow now days will reach all of that easily.
I shoot a Mathews V3X33 at 68lbs, a 510gr arrow fixed head (Slick Trick Viper Trick)
I have no problems with anything as far as energy, momentum. and accuracy with this set up.
Would use it for anything ill ever hunt.